Yet Another Objection to God's "Justice"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
RE: Yet Another Objection to God's "Justice"
Interestingly if you go back and read the first texts of genesis there is no Genesis 1:1.

Instead you find references to polytheistic Canaanite and Babylonian gods. Ever wonder why Mormons call their god Elohim? It's a Canaanite term for making one god your primary god.

Originally Abraham worshiped El Shaddai. Yahweh actually was written into the bible as a monotheistic god when Yahwhists started gaining control in Jewish culture during the Babylonian invasions into their territory.

My overall point is that Genesis 1:1 was added after the fact and the Adam and Eve story is rewritten later on from this perspective if you look at the Canaanite and Babylonian creation stories and line them up you quickly realize there is far far more evidence for Adam and Eve being a handed down myth then anything real.

Just an FYI if you plan to post a literal take of Adam and Eve KC. Tongue I'm afraid on that one I'm going to assert the story that archeologists and anthropologists put forward is likely a far more compelling case for myth.

I would go into more detail but one of the guys I subscribe to on youtube has put far more effort and grace into the topic then I could do justice to here.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
(03-02-2012 01:44 PM)Godless Wrote:  Just an FYI if you plan to post a literal take of Adam and Eve KC. Tongue I'm afraid on that one I'm going to assert the story that archeologists and anthropologists put forward is likely a far more compelling case for myth.

Well, literal Adam and Eve served as archetypes for the Hebrew Creation Story. Their literal persons lived ~6,000 years ago, while humanity evolved much earlier.

Their role in the origins of humanity and God's covenant as explained in the Creation Story was a type of descriptive language used to present a message to the people of that time. It was never meant to be taken literally or scientifically. It was a story.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
So let me get this right. You think Adam and Eve actually lived about 6k years ago but that the bible account was still a story written by men who adapted the tale for their time?
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
(03-02-2012 02:07 PM)Godless Wrote:  So let me get this right. You think Adam and Eve actually lived about 6k years ago but that the bible account was still a story written by men who adapted the tale for their time?

Yep.

03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
ok so if the bible can't be taken as a literal account of this then what evidence do you have that this happened at all?
03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
(03-02-2012 02:57 PM)Godless Wrote:  ok so if the bible can't be taken as a literal account of this then what evidence do you have that this happened at all?

I'm afraid I don't don't understand the specifics of your question.

What is "this"? Also, it's just the Creation Story that isn't literal. The Hebrew is written in an exalted language and it totally different from the rest of the book.

03-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Decoder rings are available at the bottom of select Kellogg Cereal boxes (with the exception of Frankenberry). Some restrictions may apply. Offer not valid in ND, SD, UT, Canada and Israel. Old decoder rings that mistranslate may be recycled for 5 cents at your local grocer.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Denicio's post
03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
(03-02-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 02:57 PM)Godless Wrote:  ok so if the bible can't be taken as a literal account of this then what evidence do you have that this happened at all?

I'm afraid I don't don't understand the specifics of your question.

What is "this"? Also, it's just the Creation Story that isn't literal. The Hebrew is written in an exalted language and it totally different from the rest of the book.

Ok KC. I respect your attitude enough that I want to hear your opinion. I don't think anyone is going to convert anyone out of this conversation but why not.

I am asking specifically "how do you know there was a literal Adam and Eve?".

Also the Hebrew is not totally different Genesis has about 5 different authors ( I personally assert there is only solid evidence for 4 of these cases). The linguistics of the Hebrew can be clearly separated into different periods from 600 BCE to 900 BCE. This is called the Documentary hypothesis.
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
(02-02-2012 09:56 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  ...Intolerant dumb ass excuse for an atheist/agnostic responds insultingly.

I don't, in the slightest, agree with KC on many issues. I think a theist position is a very arrogant position to take. I warm up preferable to deists. Nevertheless, I will take KC any day because at least he attempts to present a defense rather than stooping the level of the fucking overly enlarged adrenalin based ancestors we have evolved from.

Observe the arguments from theists on this board, deconstruct them (If you can) or shut the fuck up.

Yes TalladegaTom, this at the moment is directed at you. As for the others, you know who you are.

Allow Christopher Hitchens to give you my reply.
The first 25 seconds will do it.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 04:20 PM

(03-02-2012 03:58 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 09:56 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  ...Intolerant dumb ass excuse for an atheist/agnostic responds insultingly.

I don't, in the slightest, agree with KC on many issues. I think a theist position is a very arrogant position to take. I warm up preferable to deists. Nevertheless, I will take KC any day because at least he attempts to present a defense rather than stooping the level of the fucking overly enlarged adrenalin based ancestors we have evolved from.

Observe the arguments from theists on this board, deconstruct them (If you can) or shut the fuck up.

Yes TalladegaTom, this at the moment is directed at you. As for the others, you know who you are.

Allow Christopher Hitchens to give you my reply.
The first 25 seconds will do it.

Hey TT,
Thanks for the video. I rarely, if ever, watch much hitch and its suprising to find out how much my normal debate is along the lines of his approach. Sadly i am not as good looking, have as great of a voice nor as smart....but a girl can wish, right?

AND i simply love your God B-less tag too! BRILLIANT!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post