Yet another

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Yet another
I was fifty years old when I became an atheist.

What took me so long? I was an agnostic by my early teens, since I found most aspects of Christianity unconvincing. I read Thoreau's Walden in my mid-teens, which led me to simplify my assumptions and avoid unnecessary rituals.

But I thought knowledge of God might still be possible with mysticism, and spent twenty-five years studying Sufism and the Islamic God concept. I was attracted to Sufism's iconoclasm, psychological insights, and rich literature, and ultimately understood that everything within that philosophy traced back to the "no god but God" idea. However, I was still left without any means of verifying God's existence. After I found myself in conflict with other students of Sufism over how to interpret lucid dreaming experiences, I realized so-called mystical experiences could never be veridical. I then abandoned Sufi studies in 2000, and avoided metaphysics altogether for six years. I was disappointed by my waste of time and effort.

Finally after reading Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion in 2006, I dropped the idea that the God concept was necessary for anything. I read other books on atheism and especially found the book God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger helpful in organizing my thinking. I've spent the last ten years posting (on and off) at the Amazon God Delusion and Atheist forums.

How would I describe myself today? I am a hybrid Thoreauvian / metaphysical naturalist, as well as an amateur artist. I wish I had discovered atheistic ideas thirty years earlier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Thoreauvian's post
21-02-2017, 11:40 AM
RE: Yet another
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-02-2017, 11:51 AM
(21-02-2017 11:38 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I wish I had discovered atheistic ideas thirty years earlier.

I share this sentiment! I started considering myself an atheist at about 30.

Welcome to the TTA boards. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
21-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Welcome!
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Welcome Jay, glad to have you aboard!
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
21-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Welcome!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
21-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Welcome!
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
21-02-2017, 10:28 PM
[Image: nRSGVTr.gif?zoom=2] to the forum.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 2 users Like Ro3bert's post
21-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the future.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
22-02-2017, 02:12 AM
Welcome!

It doesn't matter when you get there, as long as you get there Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post