Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion of each race's strengths

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2012, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 09:04 AM by Buddy Christ.)
Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion of each race's strengths
Let's discuss each aspect of each race and decide who has the best of what. Shall we?

Remember, these are opinions. Arguments can be made for either side and I want to hear yours.

Economy and Workers

Most people would say that Zerg have the best economy, since they can mass produce Drones and their bases cost 100 less minerals to build so in theory, they should be able to expand like crazy and Drone up. The problem is, each building created kills a Drone (as well as spine and spore crawlers), and Zerg players have to split larva between workers and military, or else risk having no defense. Plus they also have to wait for the larva to pop before they can build anything.

Meanwhile, Protoss can chrono boost out Probes at about 3 every 20 seconds. They don't have to actually build anything, so they can quickly return to the mineral line as soon as they drop the warp.

However, Terran get the advantage of building their base within the safety of their main area and then floating it over, unlike the Nexus which is vulnerable to attack without any Pylons around to warp in units. Terran also can completely saturate new bases instantly with Mules until their SCV's can transfer. Their bases are also the only base type that fights back. Planetary Fortresses can be a bitch to destroy, and therefore, my pick for best Economy/Workers goes to:

My Pick: Terran

Best Ground Melee/Ranged Units

This one is tough. There are a lot of ground units. I'm only excluding the special types, like Infestors and High Templar (until later). I guess the question is, which would you least like to see coming at you? A mass or Marines, Siege Tanks, and Thors? Blink Stalkers, Immortals, and Colossi? 100 Lings, mass Roaches, and Ultralisks? I'm honestly not 100% on this one cause I can't stand seeing Force Fields cutting me in half while Colossi go to town. But what I hate even more is the inability to get within 20 feet of Terran without losing half your army to splash damage. It seems like mass Thors are the end all unit to me.

Best Air Units

Another tough one. I'm going to immediate dismiss Zerg. I love Brood Lords but they are so damn slow it's like rushing with Queens off creep. Mutas are my go-to unit but they also can be defeated by the bigger enemy units, which Zerg doesn't seem to have. So it's Mothership, Voidrays, and Phoenixes (Phoenicians?) vs Battlecruisers. Carriers, Vikings, and Banshees. You're going to think I'm biased, but I'm gonna take the Yamato cannon and mass Interceptors.

Best Special Units

Candidates include Infestors, High Templar, Sentries, Ghosts (nobody uses them for their ranged attack power), etc. Psionic storms are my favey and we all love nukes... but there's nothing better than a sneak attack into a mineral line, popping out 30 simultaneous Infested Terran or Neural Parasiting 3 out of the 4 Thors and watching them turn on their own army. Banes hidden underground pretending to be a landmines. Overseer dropping blobs that turn into enemy units. Nydus Worms count as well. Fun fun.

My Pick: Zerg

Best Unit Composition Possibilites

Terran immediately fail. You get to decide whether to go 1. Bio Ball w/ Medivac or 2. Mech. Protoss have a few more options like DTs and heavy Sentries, but ultimately every Protoss army ends up with Colossi and their fodder. So the victor is the Zerg with several ways to go. Ling/Muta. Roach/Hydra. Ling/Roach. Ling/Banes. Mass Infestor. Queens transmuting Brood Lords. However you wanna swing that day.

My Pick: Zerg

Base Defense

I first think Protoss for their ability to warp in instant mass units. But anyone whose ever had their Warp Gate pylons focused down in an early rush knows how fragile their unit production can be. Shut down power to the gates and you've essentially destroyed the entire base. So maybe Zerg? With the ability to pop out mass units at once (assuming they hit their Queen larva puke). No, once again I believe the humans have it. With the ability to wall off ramps, fortify with bunkers behind the wall off, and park a couple of siege tanks on high ground... they can defend all their expansions relatively well without even realizing they're being attacked. Then if all else fails... lift off and find a new home.

Overall Best Race

My Pick: Protoss

What? They haven't won a single category so far! Protoss are 8/10 in every category. While Terran and Zerg are really strong in some, they have weaknesses. Protoss are a solid race with overall excellent everything. They have DTs for stealth, Colossi for mass bio, Immortals for armor, mass unit warp-in anywhere you can place a pylon, High Templar to feedback anything with energy and cripple it, starting units (Zealots and Stalkers) that are effective even into late game. Protoss was supposed to be the "really far ahead in technology" race in campaign and it shows in multiplayer.

Sidenote: Does anyone else think that Starcraft is just a ripoff of Dawn of War?
Marines = Space Marines
Zerg = Tyranid
Protoss = Eldar
Reapers = Assault Marines

Floating around on your spaceship, deploying to planets, trying to stop the infestation, etc?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2012, 12:52 AM
RE: Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion and poll of each race's strengths.
I recall reading somewhere that it was a rip off of Warhammer back before SC2.
17-04-2012, 10:41 AM
RE: Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion and poll of each race's strengths.
I always thought Starcraft 2 was a rip off of Starcraft. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
17-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Starcraft was originally intended to be a warhammer 40K RTS. Unfortunately blizzard lost the licensing at the last moments and had to make some small changes to make people think it was an entirely different game.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
17-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I am searching for the poll in between all the bitching about Zerg being UP. ;D

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
23-04-2012, 09:07 AM
RE: Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion of each race's strengths
Here are some of the upcoming changes and new units planned for Heart of the Swarm.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
27-04-2012, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 11:33 PM by Antirepublican.)
RE: Yet another Starcraft 2 thread. A discussion of each race's strengths
High templar imo is the best specialized unit, as he basically counters just about everything the terran has, and the storm rapes bio balls for zerg and terran.

Sentries are also pretty damn amazing, and can completely change the outcome of a battle.

Thus I feel toss wins this one hands down..

=========================================
I like the changes with heart of the swarm, and I really hope that they make the reaper into a good unit once again. Atm he is almost completely worthless in mid to high level play.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  D&D In Character Thread Revenant77x 636 6,761 Yesterday 05:43 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Free gaming thread. Alex_Leonardo 22 270 09-06-2014 12:11 AM
Last Post: JaniceGalindo
  Steam Adding Thread Artemis 11 366 10-02-2014 04:35 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Japanese rpg recommendation thread Shinigami-sama 10 279 03-01-2014 12:06 AM
Last Post: Adrianime
  League of Legends LCS discussion NL Atheist 1 176 10-07-2013 07:22 PM
Last Post: ChuckTesta
  Dwarf Fortress Community Thread Unbeliever 11 1,874 28-10-2012 03:34 AM
Last Post: Humakt
  Why the Zerg sucks: a Starcraft 2 rant. Buddy Christ 15 3,129 17-04-2012 10:12 AM
Last Post: Zephony