Yet another biblical contradiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Yet another biblical contradiction
(10-10-2013 02:59 PM)Questioning Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 12:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  God: What? You told them what? You've got vampirism and cannibalism right there on day one of the new religion! And you died on Easter, the most holy pagan day ever!

Jesus: Uh, it seemed like a good idea at the time?

God: Why didn't you say 'drink this wine, it is a Merlot'?

EDDIE!!! Circle is such a great show. It would be nice if his ilk were to gain even *more* popularity.

Please pardon my brief diversion, but here are two quick names of non-believing comedians with great material that may not be known:

- Jim Jefferies
- Doug Stanhope

....back to the subject. ....my apologies, OP.

[Image: 459.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 11:22 AM
(10-10-2013 02:55 PM)Airyaman Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 02:36 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It's an anti-Catholic issue you've raised, since they 1) teach transubstantiation making this a literal blood drinking which indeed 2) contradicts holy writ 3) makes them put Christians in Hell since they adamantly deny non-Catholic Christians their communion!

And it's John 6, not 16. Context is:

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Yes, John 6, thanks.

Do you take communion or the lord's supper? It still symbolizes flesh and blood. Why would your god make rules against drinking blood in both the OT and NT to then ask you to symbolically do it? Jesus implied that sin originated in the mind and not the actions when he stated that people committed adultery when they thought about it, here symbolism is basically a thought sin.

Mat 26:27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you,
Mat 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Lord's Supper (I dislike "communion" as the term since one communes with god by trusting god) is done to remember what Jesus did. I say "Thanks for dying and rising for me, Lord" and not "Thanks for letting me symbolically eat and drink your flesh."

The Paschal lambs of the Exodus (600,000 of them!) prefigured and represent Christ's atoning sacrifice. Blasphemy is the sin of pretending to be god when one isn't. Are the lambs of the Exodus a blasphemy? No. Symbolism is more about beauty and inside information for believers than about law and lawfulness IMO.
11-10-2013, 01:20 PM
It's so clearly a metaphor that this can't serious be considered a contradiction.

Jesus is comparing Himself to the life sustaining manna that was provided to the Jews. He's saying that His flesh will grant eternal life to those that consume (believe) it.

The context is just so clear.

This is also my beef with Catholics. They take this whole thing way out of context and have done it for centuries.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Re: RE: Yet another biblical contradiction
(11-10-2013 01:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's so clearly a metaphor that this can't serious be considered a contradiction.

Jesus is comparing Himself to the life sustaining manna that was provided to the Jews. He's saying that His flesh will grant eternal life to those that consume (believe) it.

This is also my beef with Catholics. They take this whole thing way out of context and have done it for centuries.

Well their beef is Jesus.

There are the literal nit pick details that come from people pushing literal readings.

People mocking the fig tree moment as a literal tale bothers me... At least it does make for good counter protest signs when taken that wat.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-10-2013, 09:11 PM
(11-10-2013 11:22 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 02:55 PM)Airyaman Wrote:  Yes, John 6, thanks.

Do you take communion or the lord's supper? It still symbolizes flesh and blood. Why would your god make rules against drinking blood in both the OT and NT to then ask you to symbolically do it? Jesus implied that sin originated in the mind and not the actions when he stated that people committed adultery when they thought about it, here symbolism is basically a thought sin.

Mat 26:27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you,
Mat 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Lord's Supper (I dislike "communion" as the term since one communes with god by trusting god) is done to remember what Jesus did. I say "Thanks for dying and rising for me, Lord" and not "Thanks for letting me symbolically eat and drink your flesh."

The Paschal lambs of the Exodus (600,000 of them!) prefigured and represent Christ's atoning sacrifice. Blasphemy is the sin of pretending to be god when one isn't. Are the lambs of the Exodus a blasphemy? No. Symbolism is more about beauty and inside information for believers than about law and lawfulness IMO.

RE..
"I say "Thanks for dying and rising for me, Lord"

You're a rather simple soul, aren't you PJ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
(11-10-2013 01:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's so clearly a metaphor that this can't serious be considered a contradiction.

Yeah, right. Good ol' Jeebus just slipped into metaphorical mode.

Sorry KC, that just won't do if you know the history. This Last Supper scene wasn’t something new. It was borrowed from Mithraism, a religion that had existed for two thousand years before Jesus, and with which Paul was familiar. Mithraic initiates believed that by eating a bull's flesh and drinking its blood they would be born again. This was supposed to give physical strength, and bring salvation to the soul (http://www.farvardyn.com/mithras4.php). Jesus wouldn’t have copied these concepts from a competing cult. Paul, or one of his interpolators, made this up to mimic a popular pagan practice. The synoptic gospels have similar verses, and their inspiration was probably Paul’s letter. Jeebus never said anything remotely similar to this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
(10-10-2013 12:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 11:40 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  From my Christian days, this passage was always taught as a metaphor for communion. It's a "partake in spirit" kind of thing. Though, if you go the catholic route, there's transubstantiation, where once you put the eucharist in your mouth it actually DOES become Christ's flesh, and the wine DOES become Christ's blood.

God: What? You told them what? You've got vampirism and cannibalism right there on day one of the new religion! And you died on Easter, the most holy pagan day ever!

Oh c'mon...you have to credit Eddie Izzard for this.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-10-2013, 03:31 AM
(11-10-2013 09:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 12:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  God: What? You told them what? You've got vampirism and cannibalism right there on day one of the new religion! And you died on Easter, the most holy pagan day ever!

Oh c'mon...you have to credit Eddie Izzard for this.

See above post.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]