Yet another creationist challenging evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Yet another creationist challenging evolution
I've been having an ongoing spat online on another site with a creationist for several weeks. A rather tiresome individual who started out by asking me what reason I had to "believe in evolution".

"Oh, dear.....", I thought, can I really be arsed with this? But I replied that the reason was evidence.

So he then spouts a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution. One of the quotes he used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia.

When I demonstrated that he'd quoted out of context and that the meaning of the part-quoted text was the opposite of what he claimed, he accused me of being dishonest by providing the missing text and the context.

Right.....................so now I could see that this guy was not going to play nicely but to be honest did I really want to waste my time debating with a dishonest fruitcake?

He continued to demand to be shown evidence..............I pointed him towards a very lengthy Wikipedia article and suggested he read "Evolution-the Whole Story"....a recent and excellent book on the subject.

Needless to say he decided that none of that was good enough. I challenged him to say why but was ignored as he then moved on to Endler's guppy experiment - quoting Dawkin's - and asked if I believed this was evidence of evolution occurring today.

Now if you go to the original paper, Endler is quite clear that it is and his original experiments have subsequently been repeated and expanded upon. The conclusion that evolution is occurring within the guppy populations is inescapable. it's peer-reviewed solid, empirical evidence. So I provide a summary of this to our fruitcake together with references. Maybe he'll go away?

Nope.

According to him any "fool" can see that it's NOT evidence for evolution. Merely natural selection. What he's driving at now is rather confusing and I can only assume that he's trying to bring up the old "micro-evolution isn't macro-evolution" nonsense.

Well..........at this point I'm losing the will to bother with this idiot any longer so tell him to produce peer-reviewed evidence from a respected scientific publication that contradicts the guppy experiments.

He doesn't. He actually points me to a Wikipedia article about the peppered moth. This is odd because the article is about a creature that presents excellent evidence for continuing currently observable evolution. Nevertheless for some reason he appears to think it supports his position that its not evolution - despite the article quite clearly stating that it is!

Truly cognitive dissonance is strong in him!

What is it about these people?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2015, 06:22 AM
RE: Yet another creationist challenging evolution
(17-11-2015 05:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I've been having an ongoing spat online on another site with a creationist for several weeks. A rather tiresome individual who started out by asking me what reason I had to "believe in evolution".

"Oh, dear.....", I thought, can I really be arsed with this? But I replied that the reason was evidence.

So he then spouts a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution. One of the quotes he used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia.

When I demonstrated that he'd quoted out of context and that the meaning of the part-quoted text was the opposite of what he claimed, he accused me of being dishonest by providing the missing text and the context.

Right.....................so now I could see that this guy was not going to play nicely but to be honest did I really want to waste my time debating with a dishonest fruitcake?

He continued to demand to be shown evidence..............I pointed him towards a very lengthy Wikipedia article and suggested he read "Evolution-the Whole Story"....a recent and excellent book on the subject.

Needless to say he decided that none of that was good enough. I challenged him to say why but was ignored as he then moved on to Endler's guppy experiment - quoting Dawkin's - and asked if I believed this was evidence of evolution occurring today.

Now if you go to the original paper, Endler is quite clear that it is and his original experiments have subsequently been repeated and expanded upon. The conclusion that evolution is occurring within the guppy populations is inescapable. it's peer-reviewed solid, empirical evidence. So I provide a summary of this to our fruitcake together with references. Maybe he'll go away?

Nope.

According to him any "fool" can see that it's NOT evidence for evolution. Merely natural selection. What he's driving at now is rather confusing and I can only assume that he's trying to bring up the old "micro-evolution isn't macro-evolution" nonsense.

Well..........at this point I'm losing the will to bother with this idiot any longer so tell him to produce peer-reviewed evidence from a respected scientific publication that contradicts the guppy experiments.

He doesn't. He actually points me to a Wikipedia article about the peppered moth. This is odd because the article is about a creature that presents excellent evidence for continuing currently observable evolution. Nevertheless for some reason he appears to think it supports his position that its not evolution - despite the article quite clearly stating that it is!

Truly cognitive dissonance is strong in him!

What is it about these people?

Perceived infallibility by proxy? I dunno.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-11-2015, 11:40 AM
(17-11-2015 05:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  When I demonstrated that he'd quoted out of context and that the meaning of the part-quoted text was the opposite of what he claimed, he accused me of being dishonest by providing the missing text and the context.

So after you show he is being dishonest, by quoting out of context, he calls you dishonest? This is where you should have made your stand and held it since he is clearly the one in the wrong. The problem with a lot of these creationists is they have no shame whatsoever when proved blatantly wrong.
19-11-2015, 04:58 AM
(18-11-2015 11:40 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  So after you show he is being dishonest, by quoting out of context, he calls you dishonest? This is where you should have made your stand and held it since he is clearly the one in the wrong. The problem with a lot of these creationists is they have no shame whatsoever when proved blatantly wrong.

I have repeatedly called out his dishonesty and asked him why he is dishonest in quote-mining.

Guess what? Nothing. Zip. Nada. It's as if it doesn't compute.

You're right. He has no shame. No
19-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Same ol same ol.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-11-2015, 05:18 AM
Like trying to hug a slippery bar of soap.

Weeping

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
19-11-2015, 06:02 AM
Men. When the world gets you down, go and have a shave. I had a shithouse day by any standards. What to do? Creationists blah blah blah BS. So I had a shave. Now I feel much better. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-11-2015, 01:02 PM
"I'll believe in evolution when I see a fish that walks on land without dying" - creationists

[Image: mudskipper1-e1424084733397.jpg]

[Image: Figure_10.jpg]

[Image: thewalkingcatfish.jpg?dl=0]

any other requests ?
[+] 5 users Like Ace's post