Yet another example of Republican Christofascism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: Yet another example of Republican Christofascism.
(01-07-2017 11:27 AM)TheBear Wrote:  My only question is - At what point did a flag, which stood for the fight for states rights to own slaves, inspired and flown by Southern Democrats fighting against a union headed by a Republican president, become a Republican icon? Huh

Simple answer, it isn't a Republican icon. Plenty of democrats in the south fly that flag as well. And no Republican I know on the west coast have ever had one (unless they were originally a southerner).

The "rebel flag" in question isn't actually the flag of the confederacy. It's the battle flag. I see nothing wrong with people honoring their ancestors that fought in the war. Most people don't realize this, but many of the confederate soldiers were FORCED to fight. The confederacy used conscription as a means to fill their army ranks. People fly the battle flag to honor the fallen soldiers. I have never seen anyone fly an actual flag of the confederacy.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2017, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 11:56 AM by TheBear.)
(01-07-2017 11:41 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's the battle flag.

Correct. It's a battle flag. Question for you to think about is - What were they battling for?
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
(01-07-2017 11:41 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I see nothing wrong with people honoring their ancestors that fought in the war.

Well hell, I guess there's nothing wrong with flying a Nazi flag either then. I mean, most of the German army probably weren't that super keen to fight and die for racial purity. We must honour their memory by flying the flag of racial purity.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
01-07-2017, 11:59 AM
(01-07-2017 11:46 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 11:41 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's the battle flag.

Correct. It's a battle flag. Question for you to think about is - What were they battling for?

Read my entire post. They were forced to fight. The average soldier didn't own slaves or land. They didn't give a damn. The rich people were running the show.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
(01-07-2017 11:59 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 11:46 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Correct. It's a battle flag. Question for you to think about is - What were they battling for?

Read my entire post. They were forced to fight. The average soldier didn't own slaves or land. They didn't give a damn. The rich people were running the show.

Of course you have a reference for this claim? Also, peculiar way to honour your ancestors, if they indeed didn't want to fight for the South, by flying the South's battle flag Consider It's almost like a giant "fuck you, Grampa"...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-07-2017, 12:06 PM
(01-07-2017 11:59 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 11:46 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Correct. It's a battle flag. Question for you to think about is - What were they battling for?

My question wasn't about unwilling draft participants. My question was about - willing or unwilling, rich or poor, what was the battle for?
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
01-07-2017, 12:12 PM
I know this isn't directly linked to the subject of this thread, but it also has a point in common with the massive influence of Christian conservatives on the Republicans politics. Trump administration has decided to delay the integration of trasngender people in the army ''to better analyse what it impact it could have on its efficency''. That's a clearly stupid reason. Even if every single trasngender person wishing to enlist was completly incompetent, a hard thing to imagine, they would not be numerous enough to have the slightest impact on the overall efficency of the US military. That delay is only a obfuscating manoeuvre designed to please the religious right. There are already trangender people in the army and they have shown to be just as competent as any other men or women in the forces. This delay doesn't affect a host of measures already taken to integrate them. Much like this story about the Confederate monuments and symbols (the Battle Flag being the most famous of them), it seems that to appease those Christian conservatives, petty gestures must be made even if they are profoundly ridiculous.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
01-07-2017, 12:15 PM
(01-07-2017 12:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 11:59 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Read my entire post. They were forced to fight. The average soldier didn't own slaves or land. They didn't give a damn. The rich people were running the show.

Of course you have a reference for this claim? Also, peculiar way to honour your ancestors, if they indeed didn't want to fight for the South, by flying the South's battle flag Consider It's almost like a giant "fuck you, Grampa"...

To me, it sounds like waving the Iron Cross flag (the 2nd and 3rd Reich army flag) to honor the death of those who fought during WWI and, especially, WWII. An army is the extansion of a civilian political organ and will. The flag doesn't represent the soldier. It represent the political power for which they fought.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
01-07-2017, 12:45 PM
(01-07-2017 12:15 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 12:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  Of course you have a reference for this claim? Also, peculiar way to honour your ancestors, if they indeed didn't want to fight for the South, by flying the South's battle flag Consider It's almost like a giant "fuck you, Grampa"...

To me, it sounds like waving the Iron Cross flag (the 2nd and 3rd Reich army flag) to honor the death of those who fought during WWI and, especially, WWII. An army is the extansion of a civilian political organ and will. The flag doesn't represent the soldier. It represent the political power for which they fought.

Correct. I'm just trying to get LDH to admit what stupid made-up drivel he came out with, to whit
  • The flag is flown to honour the venerated Ancestors, who fought in the civil war.
  • The venerated ancestors were not fighting for slavery, they were forced to fight.
  • Therefore the best way to honour them is to fly the flag that they presumably hated.

[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
02-07-2017, 03:44 AM
(01-07-2017 12:06 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 11:59 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Read my entire post. They were forced to fight. The average soldier didn't own slaves or land. They didn't give a damn. The rich people were running the show.

My question wasn't about unwilling draft participants. My question was about - willing or unwilling, rich or poor, what was the battle for?

Simple: Maintaining the status-quo (i.e. slavery).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post