Yet another example of an "aborted" online debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Tongue Yet another example of an "aborted" online debate
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and newly "overt" as an atheist. I don't have many opportunities to debate religion in real life because a) I tend to get emotional when confronted with "people of faith" and b) I'm afraid of what some people in my whereabouts might do to me and my family if they get offended by what I might say about their beliefs. I live in France, in a neighborhood where Islam is the most ostentatious religion.

I know I should read through all of the pages and threads of this forum in order to gain debating skills, and perhaps some peace of mind when it comes down to defending my rights to express myself. But today I saw something posted by a Facebook acquaintance, and I couldn't just stand by and not say anything... I'm Diana in this conversation. I blacked out this person's profile picture.

[Image: religiousargumentdec15_zps32833c5d.jpg]

I assume he deleted his post after saying that "Whatever..." comment. Speak of maturity! I'm beyond frustrated by situations like these, they make me sad quite frankly. We're not supposed to fight (you may have guessed we're part of this costuming club, the 501st Legion, volunteering for charity) and yet someone is a victime of his own religion to bring up differences between people who would peacefully gather around a same hobby to make children smile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 12:24 PM by Vera.)
RE: Yet another example of an "aborted" online debate
My advice - find new acquaintances Smile You can never win with those people (well, with about 99% of them) and it's frustrating beyond belief. Plus, the more insecure they are in their beliefs and the more threatened they start to feel, esp. in the face of evidence, the more viciously they'll lash out.

Not worth the effort and peace of mind, imo.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
15-12-2012, 12:30 PM
RE: Yet another example of an "aborted" online debate
Ha! I'm such a retard... while reading the facebook thing you wrote, I tried to "Like" it right on the photo. Tongue

Yes Thanh, sounds like you might want to hang with a little more accepting crowd. You may have found it...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post