Yet another reason why gay marriage should be made legal in all states.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Yet another reason why gay marriage should be made legal in all states.
Gay students cannot receive full federal financial aid because gay marriage isn't recognized. This is why gay marriage needs to be completely legalized in all states.

This is blatant discrimination and a violation of civil rights.

Read http://www.nasfaa.org/Main/fa-news/2011/...n_Aid.aspx

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
26-03-2012, 05:29 PM
RE: Yet another reason why gay marriage should be made legal in all states.
Not that we needed another reason. But I agree. Did you stumble across this on your first day in financial aid?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 05:33 PM
(26-03-2012 03:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Gay students cannot receive full federal financial aid because gay marriage isn't recognized. This is why gay marriage needs to be completely legalized in all states.

Nah, these people should just turn-off their gayness and turn-on being attracted to women. That would solve the problem Big Grin.

Seriously though I really am struggling with how backward America can be. Over here civil unions have full equality (I think) and Parliament are discussing forcing churches to accept gay marriage.

Maybe we should never have allowed you your independence, you seem to keep fucking things up Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
26-03-2012, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 08:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Speaking of financial aid and equal rights, did you know that in the US, ... males, and only males, STILL have to register for the Selective Service System, (the DRAFT), on their 18th birthday, or they are denied many Federal benefits, including financial aid ? Granted, there is no active draft, but how discriminatory !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
26-03-2012, 06:10 PM
(26-03-2012 05:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Not that we needed another reason. But I agree. Did you stumble across this on your first day in financial aid?
Yep. It's actually in our binder.

26-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Obama sees this, ACTION TIME, he said, but instead legalizing gay marriage, he removed then entire financial aid system and no benefit for everyone.

IT IS FAIR NOW, he said
26-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I was in tears over the draft rule. Imagin how I felt having to do something strictly for males when I'm not even male. I sent a torrent of angry letters trying to find an answer that didn't make me feel horribly oppressed. All I needed was for them to require that idiotic thing of everyone rather than just males. Cried almost as much as I did after my second passport with the name change but not the gender.

What parts of financial aid are removed? I know it still exists.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
26-03-2012, 08:32 PM
(26-03-2012 07:48 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I was in tears over the draft rule. Imagin how I felt having to do something strictly for males when I'm not even male. I sent a torrent of angry letters trying to find an answer that didn't make me feel horribly oppressed. All I needed was for them to require that idiotic thing of everyone rather than just males. Cried almost as much as I did after my second passport with the name change but not the gender.

What parts of financial aid are removed? I know it still exists.

Penalties for Failure to Register for the Draft

Men who do not register could be prosecuted and, if convicted, fined up to $250,000 and/or serve up to five years in prison. In addition, men who fail to register with Selective Service before turning age 26, even if not prosecuted, will become ineligible for:
  • Student Financial Aid - including Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.
  • U.S. Citizenship - if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.
  • Federal Job Training - The Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) offers programs that can train young men for jobs in auto mechanics and other skills. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service.
  • Federal Jobs - men born after December 31, 1959 must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal government and the US Postal Service.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
27-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I really can't get over how obvious this discrimination is.

27-03-2012, 02:07 PM
(26-03-2012 03:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Gay students cannot receive full federal financial aid because gay marriage isn't recognized. This is why gay marriage needs to be completely legalized in all states.

Good point, KC.

There are many practical consequences of that fact that same-sex marriage is not recognized by the U.S. federal government. Here's another one:

My husband and I are both over 65 and collecting social security. Due to our different work histories, our monthly checks are for different amounts, and mine is bigger than his. (The check, I mean.) Now if I were in a hetero marriage and died first, my spouse would start receiving MY larger amount of social security--that's how it works. But since according to the Feds we're not married, that rule doesn't apply to us. If I die, my husband continues to receive only his smaller amount of S.S.

Just one more example of an inequality that needs to be corrected.

I have no doubt that in his heart, Pres. Obama believes in the legitimacy of same-sex marriage. But coming out and saying it before November would be political suicide. I'm hopeful that when (I won't say if) he's re-elected, we'll see him do the right thing and openly support marriage equality.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post