Yet another snake close encounter...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 07:17 PM
RE: Yet another snake close encounter...
Dude! Really? You live in freaking wild kingdom. Move north...you don't have to become a Yankee just somewhere you need to carry anti-venom Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 07:20 PM
(16-11-2013 12:31 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have helped relocate a number of snakes. From personal experience make sure the garbage can you put the rattler in does not have a hole in it. That can cause a certain amount of excess excitement when driving across the pasture.

Certain amount of excess excitement...oh my gawd...Blink

First off, I am not riding in a car knowingly with a snake...especially a poisonous one. Secondly...how are you so damn calm? Shocking

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-11-2013, 07:53 AM
I breed and keep snakes and spend a lot of time on forums talking to some of my American friends who have similar problems depending on where they live. A more natural solution may be to release a few king snakes in the local vicinity. I know it sounds mad introducing more snakes but the kings would rather hide from a person and run away. They will eat some of the venemous and the rest of them will beat a hasty retreat. Copper Heads are an aggressive animal and older ones will strike if they feel threatened or get a fright. I'm not an advocate of killing them unnecessarily but they're venemous. This time of year they hibernatebut iit's not like mammals. They don't just sleep through in a solitary fashion. They congregate and in dens, they can continue to breed up to late october so that's probably young from a nearby den. I'm aware this post might freak you out a little but I'm saying this so you can be prepared for it. An exterminator would be a good idea.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
17-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I've been using king snakes for snake control for decades. My brother and I used to hunt them in the woods to bring them back to the house.

That might actually be my best solution... now time to find a king snake.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-11-2013, 10:51 AM
It would then be Kingschosensnake?

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
17-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Snakes have never really scared me. I can totally understand wanting to control the population for safety however. I just don't understand being terrified of -every- snake.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
17-11-2013, 10:57 AM
(17-11-2013 10:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, I've been using king snakes for snake control for decades. My brother and I used to hunt them in the woods to bring them back to the house.

That might actually be my best solution... now time to find a king snake.

Maybe you could do some research into hunting and using them for food. Might be an interesting learning experience for you and the kids - might also help make them more aware of them. I like the safety awareness aspect most.

Snake meat is quite good - probably the only reptile meat I've ever enjoyed. And you are into adventure eating, Kingsy. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't agree with killing all snakes but if a poisonous snake shows up in my kitchen...one of us has to go.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-11-2013, 11:03 AM
(17-11-2013 10:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't agree with killing all snakes but if a poisonous snake shows up in my kitchen...one of us has to go.

I just have this image in my head of you, Angele, staring down a diamond back rattler in your kitchen as a tumble weed blows past.....

17-11-2013, 11:09 AM
(17-11-2013 11:03 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 10:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't agree with killing all snakes but if a poisonous snake shows up in my kitchen...one of us has to go.

I just have this image in my head of you, Angele, staring down a diamond back rattler in your kitchen as a tumble weed blows past.....

Except that I would be standing on the dining table attempting to scale the wall up to the 24 foot peak of the ceiling. I'd be going all Spiderman.