Yoga and Spiritual Excercises

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Yoga and Spiritual Excercises
Hey guys! I'm pretty new (in every sense of the world - new to these forums, new to athiesm). Before officially deconverting from Christianity, I began to incorporate more spiritual practices into my life while moving away from traditional Christianity. I did some research into Buddhism and other Eastern Religions. Recently, I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no evidence for a god. That being said, I know that I benefit greatly from meditation and yoga. I am not using these tools as a means to connect with something supernatural, nor to seek out any one spiritual path. I just find yoga to be good, relaxing, muscle toning exercise and deep breathing meditation to be a peaceful, quiet time where I can really focus on myself and my own self care needs. (I am a social worker and a mother of a 2 year old - quiet is hard to come by!) I am wondering if anyone else here practices yoga or meditation? Why or why not? Pros and cons? Just thought it might be an interesting topic of conversation. Thanks, guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: Yoga and Spiritual Excercises
Hi SM and welcome Smile

I did Yoga many years ago but found it would repeatedly tear the scar tissue in my back and my doctor/surgeon told me it wasn't a good idea anymore.
I do sometimes meditate as it clear my head and tends to relieve stress. It's good to have quiet time Smile
The health benefits can be significant, depending on the individual.
29-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I used to practice yoga and meditation, both were very useful

Welcome to the forum.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I also practiced Buddhism for awhile (not anymore). Now, I still practice yoga and meditate. I love the focus and perspective it gives me. It seems to help me problem solve better and feel happier. It's even proven to have these benefits, so why not? Yoga also feels better than a massage sometimes and has helped keep my sciatic nerve from tensing/pinching as much and has kept my hamstrings from stiffening from strength training.

I love it!
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM
There aye known scientific health benefits that come from calm, relaxed states. Keeping your body moving also has amazing benefits.

Meditation, massage, yoga,.... All amazing ways to allow your body to focus and heal what matters rather than being scattered.

Blink
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton
09-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:There aye known scientific health benefits that come from calm, relaxed states.

I find that in a glass of good French or Italian red wine. Twisting oneself into a pretzel does not impress me.

My motto - "No pain...good."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-12-2013, 01:25 AM
I regularly do yoga, but seldom meditate. I've been very limited in the poses I can do for the past few months because of a broken bone, but that's another story entirely. I find yoga very relaxing. It's probably the only reason I have any muscle tone because it's easy to do in pajamas so I can do it every day. I think the primary benefit is stress relief, though.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 05:31 AM
I really like yoga. I don't do it as often as I should though.
08-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Re: Yoga and Spiritual Excercises
I love to meditate. Really helped with having a clear and positive mind.