Yoga is a cultural appropriation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Yoga is a cultural appropriation
Can't really argue cultural appropriation and then use the Internet or plastic/foam mats.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
25-11-2015, 03:07 PM
RE: Yoga is a cultural appropriation
(25-11-2015 12:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I haven't watched the video in the OP but it looks a lot more like your two minutes' hate for "kids these days" rather than containing any detail on the actual situation, let alone a real discussion on the nature and existence of cultural appropriation.

I have to take issue with this one part...since it is not 2 minutes of hate for "kids these days" and it does contain quite a bit of detail on the actual situation and a real discussion on the nature and existence of cultural appropriation...including when it is real vs. contrived. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-11-2015, 03:09 PM
(25-11-2015 03:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 12:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I haven't watched the video in the OP but it looks a lot more like your two minutes' hate for "kids these days" rather than containing any detail on the actual situation, let alone a real discussion on the nature and existence of cultural appropriation.

I have to take issue with this one part...since it is not 2 minutes of hate for "kids these days" and it does contain quite a bit of detail on the actual situation and a real discussion on the nature and existence of cultural appropriation...including when it is real vs. contrived. Thumbsup

Oh, that's entirely fair to take issue with. I didn't watch it 'cause I was in the office, and instead I made lazy assumptions based on what I've seen a lot of terrible, terrible coverage of this non-incident elsewhere.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-11-2015, 04:11 PM
The definition of cultural appropriation given in the video is incorrect; therefore, the reporters rant starts with a false premise and goes downhill from there.

Now, the idea of bringing up genuine cultural appropriation in a university setting is laudable: universities are supposed to be places where conventional ideas are challenged (the current uOttawa fundraising campaign is entitled: Defy the conventional).

However, I don't believe this is a case of genuine cultural appropriation, and if it were, the people who feel they have been wronged should have approached the yoga instructor first, and found a mutually acceptable solution. It should not have been a given that any form of yoga is cultural appropriation: that just trivializes the problem.

As it was, I think the media decided to sensationalize this as an example of "PC gone amuck", trying to elicit a backlash against genuine cultural appropriation, which can be a real problem in Canada, which prides itself on its "mosaic"-like (NOT melting pot) multiculturalism.

This may be one reason why this story got some traction in the Ottawa press: there are very popular free yoga sessions every Wednesday on Parliament Hill in the spring and summer, which is a stone's throw away from the University of Ottawa, and no one has ever complained ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
25-11-2015, 05:05 PM
So, like Erxy and Girly, stop humming the damn soul music. It's like "cultutal appropriation". *gumsnap* Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-11-2015, 05:45 PM
(25-11-2015 05:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So, like Erxy and Girly, stop humming the damn soul music. It's like "cultutal appropriation". *gumsnap* Facepalm

Stop mansplaining to me, White Male.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-11-2015, 10:39 PM
This has reminded me of some Christian Blogger from a year ago, stating how Yoga Pants are evil satanic clothing that she was no longer going to wear. Because she noticed the sexual lure they brought out in her boyfriend when she caught him looking at other women.. so because he was turned on by other women in yoga pants she figured out they were devilish outfits, not fitting for a Christian Yoga practicing woman.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
25-11-2015, 10:40 PM
(25-11-2015 05:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 05:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So, like Erxy and Girly, stop humming the damn soul music. It's like "cultutal appropriation". *gumsnap* Facepalm

Stop mansplaining to me, White Male.

You forgot the cis gender part.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
25-11-2015, 10:50 PM
It is like he African who accuses whites if stealing drumming but Coltrane played the sax.....

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-11-2015, 04:33 AM
Ohhhhh, cultural appropriation.
So that`s the reason people tell me that it`s wrong for me to pursue a career in belly dancing.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post