Yoga leads to Satanic possession?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Yoga leads to Satanic possession?
Most of my friends who enjoy yoga believe in its health benefits. I've never tried it myself but I do remember as a child being warned that it might be a gateway for the demons. There was a popular 30-minute exercise show on TV at the time that featured yoga positions. My mom enjoyed it for a while until the JWs decreed it demonic.

I see that belief is as pervasive as ever, and not just held by JWs:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3392386

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 07:00 AM
RE: Yoga leads to Satanic possession?
Hmm, I've never done yoga while listening to Slayer's Hell Awaits. Sounds like fun.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
I didn't know Yoga was discussed in the Bible...must have been a Watchtower rule. What did I miss?

Good thing the class I was going to sign up for was already booked.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-06-2013, 09:19 AM
In the HuffPo article Jackson alleges that yogic meditation empties the mind, and Satan is ready and waiting to fill that emptiness. That was precisely the "logic" that the Watchtower used when forbidding yoga to its followers.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
06-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Title needs to be corrected...

Yoga leads to Satanic positions

Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 11:39 AM
(06-06-2013 06:51 AM)Scully Wrote:  Most of my friends who enjoy yoga believe in its health benefits. I've never tried it myself but I do remember as a child being warned that it might be a gateway for the demons. There was a popular 30-minute exercise show on TV at the time that featured yoga positions. My mom enjoyed it for a while until the JWs decreed it demonic.

I see that belief is as pervasive as ever, and not just held by JWs:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3392386

When I was still an Xian I was involved in a Christian martial arts dojo, and my "master" would chide me for doing yoga because of its reputed demonic influences. I found that somewhat ironic given that other Xians said the same thing about martial arts due to their Eastern origin and philosophical background...sigh. Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post