Yoga taught in public school. Is this religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Yoga taught in public school. Is this religion?
Apparently a judge felt that it is not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01...30347.html

The yoga I take is pretty innocuous and Americanized. There is some that is more spiritual for sure but I stay away from those classes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 04:00 AM
RE: Yoga taught in public school. Is this religion?
(01-07-2013 11:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Apparently a judge felt that it is not.

The yoga I take is pretty innocuous and Americanized. There is some that is more spiritual for sure but I stay away from those classes.

And you don't try to fuck the kids
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2013, 04:01 AM
The Church of the Yogage approves.

[Image: opforum1.png]
02-07-2013, 04:12 AM
(01-07-2013 11:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Apparently a judge felt that it is not.

I'd say this is less of a problem than school choirs that sing nothing but christian devotional songs. Yoga in America is usually non-religious anyway, it may be based in hindu teaching and has some meditation aspects to it but for the most part those have been striped either completely away or to the bare minimum. Now if the Gym teacher starts going on about chakras or some other nonsense then you have a case.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I am an atheist biology and anatomy teacher in a public school, and I will let my anatomy students do yoga (and pilates, and general stretching). We of course don't do anything terribly complex, nor anything too dangerous, but I find that it meets a couple of things I find important: 1. mainly, I'm trying to encourage the students to be healthier - I see way too many people rolling around on 'Mart Carts because they're fat, not because they're disabled; 2. it helps them better understanding how their body works and the limitations of it given their current physical condition, I'll ask them to name the muscle(s) currently being stretched, or the bones they're moving, etc; and 3. they get to make fun of the ridiculous, practically pseudoscientific, ways the ladies on the video describe the parts of the body or the way the body works because the students know more about it than the presenters seem to (confidence boost! woohoo!).

I don't believe I'm violating the Establishment Clause, but I am definitely and willingly violating the Obesity Clause!
[+] 6 users Like Chance's post
02-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Saying yoga is a religion is like saying zazen is a religion, t'ai chi ch'uan is a religion, prayer is a religion, sumo is a religion, ... fuck even like saying Pilates is a religion. ... Consider ... Wait, not sure about that last one. Dodgy

Breathing - it's more art than science.