Yoga

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2011, 07:55 PM

RE: Yoga
(16-03-2011 02:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It's basically just glorified stretching and breathing... both of which are good on their own merit. It's when people start preaching energy flow and chi that they lose me.

I'll have to disagree with you there. Not only is it stretching and breathing, it is also a way to tone and strengthen muscles, improve co-ordination, and attain better physical balance. It's very good for you. I quite enjoy it.
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I do hot yoga at a studio called Sunstone Yoga ( its a TX chain to my knowledge )- which is a form of Bikram yoga. I'm a avid runner and play ultimate frisbee along with other cross training activities i.e kickboxing, boot camp classes, lifting weights,ect. I've never enjoyed stretching and have always had really tight hammies. My hot yoga has helped my flexibilty sooo much. It really is a great workout as well. I've definitely gotten stronger and my balance is a lot better as well. I would recommend yoga to everyone but esp to people who are currently athletes and want a cross training that will kick your butt, help you lose water weight, increase your flexibility and strength. I love it!! I started because I kept reading about all of the benefits for runners in all my running magazines. HeartHeart

Oh and I've never gotten into the "spiritual" side of yoga. My studio keeps that to a minimum-- I did go to an old bikram style hot yoga studio that liked to chant and they had a lot of silly love yourself phrases painted on the ceilings and things-- I just ignored the parts that seemed ridiculous and I focus on getting deeper into my poses and working on my balance Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
My body feels better after yoga, better than after a massage. More relaxed, too- both my body and my mind (cliche, but true).
04-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Because of my poor health, I attend something called yin yoga. We do stretching poses held for 3-5 minutes while focusing on breathing and calming the mind by non-spiritual "meditation"-ish metodes, but no activities that even raises my pulse. Having had no experience with yoga what so ever - and being somewhat judgemental about the spiritual side of it - I gave it a shot. My instructor is sweet and skilled, and she is able to make me concentrate and breathe for a whole hour even though she sometimes talks about stuff of no relevance to me. (chackras, energy lines, chinese medicine etc). She does this in a kind of casual way. I just accepted that this is part of the package, and I never feel pushed into thinking that way myself. It took me a while to get used to going there, but now I really miss it (no courses in the summer).

I have very little balance, strenght, flexibility or energy, but this special kind of yoga slowly helps me get better. It's too early for me to try "normal" yoga, but maybe someday?

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't think there is anything inherently spiritual about meditation, I always feel refreshed and calm after just simple meditation. To concentrate I simply think of each body part all the way up to my head, and then count my breathing. Banishing all other thought.

Sometimes I will use meditation to work though any issues I have going on an in objective detached way.

Yoga is also pretty good, stretches out muscles and builds strength. I do yoga class off and on, but do some basic moves in the morning to get the blood flowing (sun salutations)

Sometimes I will also do it if I'm stressed out.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]