You Are More Likely To Be Shot If There Is A Gun in The Home

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: You Are More Likely To Be Shot If There Is A Gun in The Home
(25-07-2017 04:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All good points.

But what the assholes do now and is decide ahead of time that the cop is guilty, then proceed to riot......

Ferguson Ms comes to mind...

The Ferguson riots were not about a single case. They were triggered by a single case that became the symbole of a massive systemic problem. Everybody knows that, but people like to focus on the spark that ignated the fuel and not where all tha fuel came from.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
26-07-2017, 12:39 AM
(24-07-2017 01:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole point is the fallacy of not having a gun makes you safer.

Having one or not having a gun changes your likelihood of being killed very little...

I'm guessing that this is just a personal opinion?

If not, we need citations for both claims.

Again(!) my citation disproving that: Gun Ownership and Firearm-related Deaths.

Which I'm guessing onlinebiker will ignore yet again LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-07-2017, 03:31 AM

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
26-07-2017, 04:56 AM
Interestingly, during the 1970's through the 1990's I was an active sportsman and gun enthusiast. I belonged to two local sportsmen's clubs and got to know literally hundreds of men and women of similar interests. I never heard of even a single instance of a gun accident or shooting in any home. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
26-07-2017, 05:21 AM
(26-07-2017 12:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 01:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole point is the fallacy of not having a gun makes you safer.

Having one or not having a gun changes your likelihood of being killed very little...

I'm guessing that this is just a personal opinion?

If not, we need citations for both claims.

Again(!) my citation disproving that: Gun Ownership and Firearm-related Deaths.

Which I'm guessing onlinebiker will ignore yet again LOL.

You can't be subtle with some people.

Quote:Format: AbstractSend to
Am J Med. 2013 Oct;126(10):873-6. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.04.012.
Gun ownership and firearm-related deaths.

Bangalore S1, Messerli FH.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
A variety of claims about possible associations between gun ownership rates, mental illness burden, and the risk of firearm-related deaths have been put forward. However, systematic data on this issue among various countries remain scant. Our objective was to assess whether the popular notion "guns make a nation safer" has any merits.
METHODS:
Data on gun ownership were obtained from the Small Arms Survey, and for firearm-related deaths from a European detailed mortality database (World Health Organization), the National Center for Health Statistics, and others. Crime rate was used as an indicator of safety of the nation and was obtained from the United Nations Surveys of Crime Trends. Age-standardized disability-adjusted life-year rates due to major depressive disorder per 100,000 inhabitants with data obtained from the World Health Organization database were used as a putative indicator for mental illness burden in a given country.
RESULTS:
Among the 27 developed countries, there was a significant positive correlation between guns per capita per country and the rate of firearm-related deaths (r = 0.80; P <.0001). In addition, there was a positive correlation (r = 0.52; P = .005) between mental illness burden in a country and firearm-related deaths. However, there was no significant correlation (P = .10) between guns per capita per country and crime rate (r = .33), or between mental illness and crime rate (r = 0.32; P = .11). In a linear regression model with firearm-related deaths as the dependent variable with gun ownership and mental illness as independent covariates, gun ownership was a significant predictor (P <.0001) of firearm-related deaths, whereas mental illness was of borderline significance (P = .05) only.
CONCLUSION:
The number of guns per capita per country was a strong and independent predictor of firearm-related death in a given country, whereas the predictive power of the mental illness burden was of borderline significance in a multivariable model. Regardless of exact cause and effect, however, the current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.
Copyright 2013 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:
Firearm deaths; Gun ownership; Mental illness
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2017, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2017 06:44 PM by BackSlider.)
(25-07-2017 05:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 04:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All good points.

But what the assholes do now and is decide ahead of time that the cop is guilty, then proceed to riot......

Ferguson Ms comes to mind...

The Ferguson riots were not about a single case. They were triggered by a single case that became the symbole of a massive systemic problem. Everybody knows that, but people like to focus on the spark that ignated the fuel and not where all tha fuel came from.

Yeah, Ferguson was about pushing a bigger narrative at any cost fueled by a systemic problem alright, i.e. putting a lot of truth in the dark.

You have to be odd to be #1.
26-07-2017, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2017 06:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-07-2017 04:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Interestingly, during the 1970's through the 1990's I was an active sportsman and gun enthusiast. I belonged to two local sportsmen's clubs and got to know literally hundreds of men and women of similar interests. I never heard of even a single instance of a gun accident or shooting in any home. Consider

With great power comes great responsibility. The NRA encourages and is probably the biggest funder of proper training for assuming the serious responsibility of gun ownership. Why they don't think that training should be prerequisite is beyond me. If proper training were made prerequisite to assuming the responsibility of gun ownership, the NRA is uniquely positioned to provide that and influence a much bigger portion of the American population.

#sigh