You Are More Likely To Be Shot If There Is A Gun in The Home

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2017, 02:12 PM
RE: You Are More Likely To Be Shot If There Is A Gun in The Home
(23-07-2017 02:00 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Dismissing gun deaths to lower numbers? Really? Why not dismiss any gun death that doesn't happen because THE GOOD GUY WITH THE GUN got the bad guy? Your number would look good percentage-wise, but very small.

I'm surprised you don't want to count the ones you see on TV as well.....

Counting suicides and justified police/ civilian shooting is simply dishonest.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2017, 02:15 PM
(23-07-2017 01:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 01:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Almost 10 times as many die from obesity related issues than from guns each year in the US.

Just think of how many lives could be saved if people would replace the snack cabinet with a gun cabinet and hit the range instead of the TV? Big Grin
Still with the false equivalences.

It's not a false equivalence if I'm not legitimately attempting to counter a statement on either side of the debate. What I'm doing, perhaps through a bit of sarcasm as I laugh internally at the irrational fears of people (namely parents, in this arbitrary hypothetical context) who focus their emotional reactions towards one comparatively less dangerous idea (guns) while freely indulging in another significantly more dangerous practice (eating themselves to death and teaching their kids to do the same).

I'm tired of the overall debate. What I'm doing, instead, is putting the idea that saving lives is the real objective into perspective.

If I keep guns in my house and teach my 5 year old to shoot, while also raising him to eat healthy and not live a sedentary life, it is statistically likely that he will outlive the children of an average, soda inhaling, sedentary American who has no guns in the house.

Even if I acknowledge that it's possible to reduce the risks presented by both cultural tendencies, I'm still wondering where the focus on the statistically less dangerous of the two comes from. If I keep Mountain Dew in the same house as my kids, nobody flips their shit and accuses me of endangering my kids, even though it's more likely to ultimately play a role in their deaths than the guns.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
23-07-2017, 02:28 PM
(23-07-2017 02:09 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 05:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Did anyone say anything about self- defense or criminals???

Nope.

Not a bit. That goes in a different thread.

Stick to the subject line.

I'm far less worried about "criminals" than I am about the redneck asshole next door sending a freedom missile through my window while he is practicing his quick draw in front of the mirror.

(I don't buy this "I was cleaning it when it went off" shit. ) There are far too many assholes walking around with guns in this country.

How many rounds has your neighbor launched in your direction to date???

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say none.....

That's really what you're worried about?

I've seen one accidental discharge to date.(see, as in was there when it happened).

That was a cop borrowing our bathroom, (off duty) and had an AD pulling up his pants.

I know of a couple other similar events, by laws enforcement.

None by civilians.

It makes me wonder what sort of neighborhood you live in.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-07-2017, 03:18 PM
(23-07-2017 02:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If I keep Mountain Dew in the same house as my kids, nobody flips their shit and accuses me of endangering my kids, even though it's more likely to ultimately play a role in their deaths than the guns.
I think the deal is, that you don't have people promoting the idea of drinking fizzy drink (soda pop) regularly, certainly not promoting the idea of people regularly feeding fizzy drinks to their children. If you did that then people would likely attack you (in a thread) and tell you that you are a horrible parent.

Also with regards to the guns argument (from my perspective, living in a country where handguns aren't prevalent even with crims) I'd be concerned if someone were promoting/campaigning on the idea of making handguns available for self protection, as I would be worried that the consequence is that handguns will then get into the hands of criminals and perhaps I could then find myself at the pointy end of one of those handguns. Having two daughters I'd also be concerned at the increased risk of them being killed.
23-07-2017, 03:20 PM
(23-07-2017 02:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 01:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Still with the false equivalences.

It's not a false equivalence if I'm not legitimately attempting to counter a statement on either side of the debate. What I'm doing, perhaps through a bit of sarcasm as I laugh internally at the irrational fears of people (namely parents, in this arbitrary hypothetical context) who focus their emotional reactions towards one comparatively less dangerous idea (guns) while freely indulging in another significantly more dangerous practice (eating themselves to death and teaching their kids to do the same).

I'm tired of the overall debate. What I'm doing, instead, is putting the idea that saving lives is the real objective into perspective.

If I keep guns in my house and teach my 5 year old to shoot, while also raising him to eat healthy and not live a sedentary life, it is statistically likely that he will outlive the children of an average, soda inhaling, sedentary American who has no guns in the house.

Even if I acknowledge that it's possible to reduce the risks presented by both cultural tendencies, I'm still wondering where the focus on the statistically less dangerous of the two comes from. If I keep Mountain Dew in the same house as my kids, nobody flips their shit and accuses me of endangering my kids, even though it's more likely to ultimately play a role in their deaths than the guns.

A false equivalence doesn't give a fuck which side you're on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2017, 03:25 PM
It's like listening to parrots squawking at each other. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-07-2017, 04:14 PM
(23-07-2017 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's examine the subject statement.

Is it true? Yes, I suspect statistics would bear this out. [...]

Hay mate, you really need to get off your soapbox about this subject. We all know by now that you have a predilection for guns, and their effectiveness [sic ] and ownership rights blah, blah, blah. You manage to insert your "gun-love" opinion into every second thread you post in.

Guns and their purported cause of crimes versus their deterrence on crimes have already been flogged nearly to death on this forum. There was certainly no need to start yet another gun thread that's quickly turned into a puerile schoolyard fight between the fors and againsts. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-07-2017, 04:27 PM
(23-07-2017 04:14 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's examine the subject statement.

Is it true? Yes, I suspect statistics would bear this out. [...]

Hay mate, you really need to get off your soapbox about this subject. We all know by now that you have a predilection for guns, and their effectiveness [sic ] and ownership rights blah, blah, blah. You manage to insert your "gun-love" opinion into every second thread you post in.

Guns and their purported cause of crimes versus their deterrence on crimes have already been flogged nearly to death on this forum. There was certainly no need to start yet another gun thread that's quickly turned into a puerile schoolyard fight between the fors and againsts. No

And yet here you are, making sure your voice is heard.

Ironic, isn't it??

23-07-2017, 04:30 PM
(23-07-2017 03:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's like listening to parrots squawking at each other. Facepalm

Funny thing - people pay big money for parrots......

Tongue

23-07-2017, 04:33 PM
(23-07-2017 04:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 03:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's like listening to parrots squawking at each other. Facepalm

Funny thing - people pay big money for parrots......

Tongue

I have two parrots...one doesn't say much...the other one talks well. I must teach her some new words...I think I'll start with 'false equivalence'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post