You Asked For It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 02:57 PM
RE: You Asked For It
A wonderful story, well told and interesting...right up to the point where the real agenda was presented.

Shave off the last several sentences and you have a wonderful tribute to your brother. After all, it was a story about your brother...till you took that away from him.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
31-05-2013, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 04:17 PM by Reltzik.)
.... who asked for this, again?

Unless someone explicitly requested that you post your sermons, no one. And if someone did ask for them, that'd be better handled by PM. Was there a specific question posed in another thread that you're answering?

Really, I can't think of a single person on this board that this would be addressed to. Maybe Mojche? Don't know enough about Mojche. KC is much more logically inclined than this, and everyone else... "my mentally disabled brother wholeheartedly believes God is real" is hardly the resounding argument with which to persuade anyone here. Who would be receptive? If your goal isn't to persuade, what is it? Did you even have a goal? What did you anticipate would happen because you posted this? Or did you just feel like sharing, without any care as to how it would be received?

In any event, you put it out there, so here's my critique.

Your reaction to Kevin's simple faith is touching, but also inconsistent. It sounds like it is basically, "he has such happiness and security in this belief, without any doubts, and I should envy that and perhaps emulate that." Fine. I can get that on the emotional level. But do you react to his every belief like that?

Suppose he points to an airplane taking off and declares, without checking the departure board, that it's going to Chicago. Sure, he's happy. That's fine. That's enviable. But what about the rest of it? Do you automatically believe that's correct? Do you ever think, "Maybe my brother's not the best guideline for this?" or, "I have my rational doubts about that claim," or, "Hey, he's playing make-believe that he knows where the plane is going, isn't that cute?" Do you then say to yourself, "Hey, he might be receiving divine knowledge that I don't have, maybe he's right about where the plane's going, I should be less doubting and more believing like he is."

Or suppose (and now I'm making up cute outrageous things that a 7-year-old might say), that he's staring at the laundry and he declares that the clothes are getting dizzy. Has some divine revelation granted him empathy with the previously unknown, undetected, and untapped physiological state of garments? Do you ever think, "Look how happy he is, I should believe and trust that the clothes are dizzy, without doubts or questions?" Or how about, "Those two dogs are trying to play leapfrog!" Do you think he's seeing the truth in his innocence, which your more jaded, doubting experience has blinded you to? Or do you think he just isn't grasping the way the world works?

And if you won't readily buy into the simplicity of any of these other beliefs, why idolize the simplicity of his belief in God? (EDIT for clarification: This is what I meant by this reaction being inconsistent.)

None of this, by the way, is meant as an insult or dismissal of all that is good in your depiction of your brother. I don't mind that he is happy, I don't mind that he is diligent, I don't mind that he touches your heart, I don't mind his adherence to the simple virtues. I don't even mind that he (or anyone else) believes in God, so long as he (or they) don't use that belief as grounds to ostracize, persecute, harass, misinform, or disenfranchise anyone else, and it doesn't sound like he is. (Many of them are, though.) But I will recognize the limitations of his described disability, that he reasons like a 7-year-old. And 7-year-olds are not the best guides to how the world works.

A final thought on Pride (yes, capital P). Questioning the existence of God is often depicted as Prideful, because it puts your own reason above the supposed revelation of God. How dare you put faith in your own reason and intellect! But to my mind, the prideful are the ones who doubt themselves, their knowledge, and their beliefs the least. One of the greatest epitomes of humility is the adherent whose doubts pose the question, "Could I be in error? What if my beliefs are wrong?" and who then pursues that question with total intellectual integrity, and casts aside cherished, lifelong beliefs that have served as a cornerstone of one's existence if or when their falsity is discovered. It is the person who pushes away doubts, to the point of refusing to consider even the possibility that they are in error, that is the most Prideful. And yes, there are some atheists like this, and some Christians, so I'm not singling out one group or the other with that. But I am singling out a behavior: Dismissal of doubts. That's where you'll find Pride at work.

EDIT: I WAS assuming that this was a true story about PJ's family life and attitudes arising therefrom, as well as his dutiful and compassionate tending of his disabled brother. More astute posters than myself (see below) have discovered that this assumption was... premature.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
31-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Let's also consider the concept that you are saying it takes someone with the mind of a seven year old to buy the whole Christian crap and live in blissful ignorance guided only by blind faith in fairy tales.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Wow. You just got double-barreled-blasted the fuck out right there, PJ.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2013, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 03:33 PM by Phaedrus.)
Seriously? He didn't even write this. If you're going to post shit off the internet, have the common decency to give a citation.

http://www.inspirationpeak.com/cgi-bin/s...?record=64

If you actually wanted to deceive people into thinking this shit was true, then shame on you.

If you just wanted to post this as a some type of sermon, then go fuck yourself with a cactus for thinking your copypasta Facebook spam would impress anyone.

[Image: go-fuck-yourself-with-a-cactus-o.gif]

Edited because I'm not sure people have actually been banned from here for this shit; but on any forum with a competent moderation team they would.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 12 users Like Phaedrus's post
31-05-2013, 03:29 PM
(31-05-2013 03:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Seriously? He didn't even write this. If you're going to post shit off the internet, have the common decency to give a citation.

http://www.inspirationpeak.com/cgi-bin/s...?record=64

If you actually wanted to deceive people into thinking this shit was true, then shame on you.

If you just wanted to post this as a some type of sermon, then I think I should tell you that users have been banned for spamming copypasta Facebook sermons.

PJ- you're a fuckin' scumbag....WTF!!
You know why Kevin thinks God is under his bed because his mother told him that so he would SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO TO SLEEP!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-05-2013, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 03:38 PM by Rahn127.)
(31-05-2013 12:27 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when...

I thought this story was great and I mean really great, that is, up until the end.

I thought maybe you had turned a corner.
I read intently and had this image in my mind of this child like man who believes everything he is told.
He has no intellectual ability to reason or think critically.
He simply takes things he hears as truth and doesn't question any of it.
He lives a simple and content life.

"It is then I realized...."
I thought that the next words I read would be that of a person who had realized what blind faith is. It is a child's mind who cannot reason or think critically about the world.

I thought this would be your breakthrough. This man with a child's mind is what it means to believe in a god.
Having your brain disabled so that you can't reason, you can't think critically, you can only blindly trust everything that anyone tells you.

You are disabled, but not in the way you think you are, just in the way you think.

I physically feel sad for you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
31-05-2013, 03:39 PM
(31-05-2013 03:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I physically feel sad for you.

Don't!! The story was copied off the internet. See the link above.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Ya know, I am okay with PleaseJebus being exposed as a fraud...

Preach it PJ...preach how great it is to be Xtian...preach what a swell thing it is...

Ya know, I think I and I is looking for a date...you two would be perfect...you are a liar and he believes everything...

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-05-2013, 03:47 PM
(31-05-2013 03:39 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 03:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I physically feel sad for you.

Don't!! The story was copied off the internet. See the link above.

I knew it was too well written for it to be the work of PJ, plus there is no way he would have held this little chestnut close to his vest.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense