You Asked For It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: You Asked For It
(31-05-2013 03:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Seriously? He didn't even write this. If you're going to post shit off the internet, have the common decency to give a citation.

http://www.inspirationpeak.com/cgi-bin/s...?record=64

If you actually wanted to deceive people into thinking this shit was true, then shame on you.

If you just wanted to post this as a some type of sermon, then go fuck yourself with a cactus for thinking your copypasta Facebook spam would impress anyone.

[Image: go-fuck-yourself-with-a-cactus-o.gif]

Edited because I'm not sure people have actually been banned from here for this shit; but on any forum with a competent moderation team they would.

You make a good case, however the anonymous author who submitted this to that site could be PJ.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 04:00 PM
If you google "god is under the bed" you will get the same story over & over again posted on websites.
I did find one, however on a special needs forum.
The author on that forum is listed as Kelly Adkins

Here's a link
http://www.the-special-needs-child.com/U...e-Bed.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2013, 04:05 PM
You Asked For It
PJ, be honest now, is the little brother in the story really you?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
31-05-2013, 04:12 PM
All I did was google the first sentence. There are hundreds of hits, many years old.

PJ may not have been trying to deceive. But by not providing a citation he apparently did.

Actually I'm kind of ashamed of you guys, it was pretty obviously a copypasta. Took five seconds to realize it.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
31-05-2013, 04:15 PM
(31-05-2013 04:12 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  All I did was google the first sentence. There are hundreds of hits, many years old.

PJ may not have been trying to deceive. But by not providing a citation he apparently did.

Actually I'm kind of ashamed of you guys, it was pretty obviously a copypasta.

.... yeah, I think I been duped HARD. Looking back, PJ's kinda followed a pattern I couldn't really grasp. His initial posts have often been high-hearted (if not high-minded) things, yet the back-and-forth in the resulting commentary have not been in the same tone at all.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
31-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm frequently ashamed of myself. No big deal. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2013, 04:18 PM
The title still baffles me though. "You Asked For It". Asked for what? A preachy, probably 90% fabricated feel-good copypasta? Was this supposed to be his ultimate argument? Or is he saying that he's given up on us and is just going to copy/paste bullshit off Facebook from here on out? Either way, it's kind of sad.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
31-05-2013, 04:20 PM
As an uncle to a mentally retarded male and the father-in-law of an aunt of a profoundly disabled male (probably due to drug use by the mother) I found most of the story heartening, and was going to post something along those lines (ignoring the god stuff).

Then to find it is a copy and paste bullshit story.

Please Jesus have some fun, stuff your computer up your ass.
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
31-05-2013, 04:59 PM
(31-05-2013 12:27 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  GOD LIVES UNDER THE BED

I envy Kevin. My brother, Kevin, thinks God lives under his bed. At least that's what I heard him say one night.

He was praying out loud in his dark bedroom, and I stopped to listen, 'Are you there, God?' he said. 'Where are you? Oh, I see. Under the bed....'

I giggled softly and tiptoed off to my own room. Kevin's unique perspectives are often a source of amusement. But that night something else lingered long after the humor. I realized for the first time the very different world Kevin lives in.

He was born 30 years ago, mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor. Apart from his size (he's 6-foot-2), there are few ways in which he is an adult.

He reasons and communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old, and he always will. He will probably always believe that God lives under his bed, that Santa Claus is the one who fills the space under our tree every Christmas and that airplanes stay up in the sky because angels carry them.

I remember wondering if Kevin realizes he is different. Is he ever dissatisfied with his monotonous life?

Up before dawn each day, off to work at a workshop for the disabled, home to walk our cocker spaniel, return to eat his favorite macaroni-and-cheese for dinner, and later to bed.

The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry, when he hovers excitedly over the washing machine like a mother with her newborn child.

He does not seem dissatisfied.

He lopes out to the bus every morning at 7:05, eager for a day of simple work.

He wrings his hands excitedly while the water boils on the stove before dinner, and he stays up late twice a week to gather our dirty laundry for his next day's laundry chores.

And Saturdays - oh, the bliss of Saturdays! That's the day my Dad takes Kevin to the airport to have a soft drink, watch the planes land, and speculate loudly on the destination of each passenger inside. 'That one's goin' to Chi-car-go! '
Kevin shouts as he claps his hands.

His anticipation is so great he can hardly sleep on Friday nights.

And so goes his world of daily rituals and weekend field trips.

He doesn't know what it means to be discontent.

His life is simple.

He will never know the entanglements of wealth or power, and he does not care what brand of clothing he wears or what kind of food he eats. His needs have always been met, and he never worries that one day they may not be.

His hands are diligent. Kevin is never so happy as when he is working. When he unloads the dishwasher or vacuums the carpet, his heart is completely in it.

He does not shrink from a job when it is begun, and he does not leave a job until it is finished. But when his tasks are done, Kevin knows how to relax.

He is not obsessed with his work or the work of others. His heart is pure.

He still believes everyone tells the truth, promises must be kept, and when you are wrong, you apologize instead of argue.

Free from pride and unconcerned with appearances, Kevin is not afraid to cry when he is hurt, angry or sorry. He is always transparent, always sincere. And he trusts God.

Not confined by intellectual reasoning, when he comes to Christ, he comes as a child. Kevin seems to know God - to really be friends with Him in a way that is difficult for an 'educated' person to grasp. God seems like his closest companion.

In my moments of doubt and frustrations with my Christianity, I envy the security Kevin has in his simple faith.

It is then that I am most willing to admit that he has some divine knowledge that rises above my mortal questions.

It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God's care.

Who knows if Kevin comprehends things I can never learn? After all, he has spent his whole life in that kind of innocence, praying after dark and soaking up the goodness and love of God.

And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, and we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I'll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his bed.

Kevin won't be surprised at all!

You know, I actually really enjoyed reading this story. It is a very mind opening time in a persons life when they meet someone who is disabled mentally. It forces them to ask a lot of uncomfortable questions about reality, and about religion if they are faithful.

Why is he like this? Is god responsible for this? If so why? Why would he do that, and rob Kevin of the life he could have had born without a disability?

Perhaps more importantly, they might begin to wonder why it makes Kevin so happy just to do mundane things, and talk to himself at night. Why is he so happy? Why can't I be that happy even though my brain works just fine?

In a way, assuming Kevin is a real person some where, I am jealous of him. Don't get me wrong, I like having a working mind, that can think critically, but I am jealous of the simple way life doesn't get to Kevin. He is happy, all the time.

Who among us can say that? We can't be happy all the time, only some of the time, even if we lie and say that our religion makes it possible.

I admit I was a bit thrown by the idea of looking at a disabled person, and thinking "Maybe he knows some truth that I don't." Of course he doesn't. He's disabled. His mind has limitations, not extra power. Why would you assume that he is subject to a divine knowledge, that hasn't been offered to you? Strange thinking that.

Also, why would you want to have such blind and simple faith in anything? Why would you want your mind to be so simple, that you can believe unreasonable things forever, without a moment of doubt?

Why is it that you religious people are always admiring and aspiring to be like things that are so stupid? You call yourselves sheep, who blindly follow the shepherd. Do any of you christians have any idea how stupid sheep are? There is a reason they have a reputation for it.

Now, you wish you were more like retarded people, so that you can numb yourself off even more from reality, to hide yourself from the pain of death, hard work, and an unfair world. You act as though you are strong for comforting yourselves, but in the end, it exposes your childish weaknesses, and your unwillingness to face up to the truth. You don't like it, because it is hard, and it cuts you to the very center.

I couldn't help but notice as I was reading this post, the absolutely inane and fucking dumbass comments made by my Atheist comrades. For christ's sake you assholes, why can't you take a fucking sermon without whining about it?

I am so tired of reading stupid shit like "Who asked for this" and "What are you trying to accomplish by this" and "Take your sermons elsewhere". Look if you don't have any real feedback, that a theist could read and it would help them understand why we don't believe, why are you bothering to post your stupid complaints? We deal with believers every day, all day long, and that's the best you can do?

Some of the shit people said about Kevin in the story, was awful. What the fuck is wrong with you people? I know many of you have morals and would never say things like that outside of this forum. Why don't you have more respect for the author of this little story?

I don't know about you sorry assholes, but I pride myself on living a moral life, treating others the way i want to be treated. If I were the author of this story, your comments would not have been helpful to me, or even half decent in general.

Who cares if this whole thing was stolen, and pasted anyway? What does it matter? Isn't it better to post something constructive about the content than to bitch about it being fraud?

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
31-05-2013, 05:02 PM
(31-05-2013 04:20 PM)JAH Wrote:  As an uncle to a mentally retarded male and the father-in-law of an aunt of a profoundly disabled male (probably due to drug use by the mother) I found most of the story heartening, and was going to post something along those lines (ignoring the god stuff).

Then to find it is a copy and paste bullshit story.

Please Jesus have some fun, stuff your computer up your ass.

Sideways Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post