You Asked For It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 05:18 PM
RE: You Asked For It
(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  Why is it that you religious people are always admiring and aspiring to be like things that are so stupid? You call yourselves sheep, who blindly follow the shepherd. Do any of you christians have any idea how stupid sheep are? There is a reason they have a reputation for it.

Now, you wish you were more like retarded people, so that you can numb yourself off even more from reality, to hide yourself from the pain of death, hard work, and an unfair world. You act as though you are strong for comforting yourselves, but in the end, it exposes your childish weaknesses, and your unwillingness to face up to the truth. You don't like it, because it is hard, and it cuts you to the very center.

I couldn't help but notice as I was reading this post, the absolutely inane and fucking dumbass comments made by my Atheist comrades. For christ's sake you assholes, why can't you take a fucking sermon without whining about it?

Some of the shit people said about Kevin in the story, was awful. What the fuck is wrong with you people? I know many of you have morals and would never say things like that outside of this forum. Why don't you have more respect for the author of this little story?

I don't know about you sorry assholes, but I pride myself on living a moral life, treating others the way i want to be treated. If I were the author of this story, your comments would not have been helpful to me, or even half decent in general.

Who cares if this whole thing was stolen, and pasted anyway? What does it matter? Isn't it better to post something constructive about the content than to bitch about it being fraud?

Damn dude, you switch gears like a Mack truck...did the weed wear off partway though your reply? Rolleyes

I discerned that PJ's story was canned bullshit just from the flowery lingo. It has the structure and flow of every bogus email and spurious online posting since the dawn of the Interweb.

As for sermons, I wasted over two decades of my life listening to pastoral hogwash and trying to live up to it, so you'll forgive me for a smidgen of bitterness when I hear theists pontificate in a place that is supposed to be a refuge for atheists. PJ in particular ranks up there with Egor as one of the most irritating and thickheaded theist types on this board. If you want to jerk him off, then get a room. Otherwise, respect the fact that some of us have a short fuse when it comes to this sort of claptrap.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
31-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Prometheus762, I am with you to a very great extent. That a profoundly disabled person may be happy in their life is a good thing. To attack someone who relates that story (god or no) is an immoral thing.

I was very much prepared to offer a post about the two who I know who are disabled in a way that will affect their entire lives and how it is heartening to hear of one who should be comfortable for most of their life. Knowing that the fact is that when the parents die things may turn for the worse.

I was going to relate how my nephew has a problem with work and would probably be forced to live in assisted living all his life. How my daughter in laws nephew was being raised by his grandparents and seems to be over coming some of his early problems and with scars maybe will be all right. That the story of PleaseJesus brother could make me more comfortable with their lives gave me comfort. That because of both of them my niece and my daughter in law are involved in special education because of their personal experiences.

I was also prepared to condemn some of the early posters because of their callousness, as you properly did.

Then one finds out it is a common internet meme. That almost certainly PleaseJesus copy and pasted it from another site and posted it as if it were their own story. This could have been avoided by simply saying I saw this on the web and would like to show it, or some such to indicate it was not his personal story.

It was a despicable act by a duplicitous person and as such deserves condemnation.

With the understanding that making life pleasant for the disabled is something we should all try to aid. Even if the stupidity of god is included.
31-05-2013, 05:54 PM
(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 12:27 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  GOD LIVES UNDER THE BED

I envy Kevin. My brother, Kevin, thinks God lives under his bed. At least that's what I heard him say one night.

He was praying out loud in his dark bedroom, and I stopped to listen, 'Are you there, God?' he said. 'Where are you? Oh, I see. Under the bed....'

I giggled softly and tiptoed off to my own room. Kevin's unique perspectives are often a source of amusement. But that night something else lingered long after the humor. I realized for the first time the very different world Kevin lives in.

He was born 30 years ago, mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor. Apart from his size (he's 6-foot-2), there are few ways in which he is an adult.

He reasons and communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old, and he always will. He will probably always believe that God lives under his bed, that Santa Claus is the one who fills the space under our tree every Christmas and that airplanes stay up in the sky because angels carry them.

I remember wondering if Kevin realizes he is different. Is he ever dissatisfied with his monotonous life?

Up before dawn each day, off to work at a workshop for the disabled, home to walk our cocker spaniel, return to eat his favorite macaroni-and-cheese for dinner, and later to bed.

The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry, when he hovers excitedly over the washing machine like a mother with her newborn child.

He does not seem dissatisfied.

He lopes out to the bus every morning at 7:05, eager for a day of simple work.

He wrings his hands excitedly while the water boils on the stove before dinner, and he stays up late twice a week to gather our dirty laundry for his next day's laundry chores.

And Saturdays - oh, the bliss of Saturdays! That's the day my Dad takes Kevin to the airport to have a soft drink, watch the planes land, and speculate loudly on the destination of each passenger inside. 'That one's goin' to Chi-car-go! '
Kevin shouts as he claps his hands.

His anticipation is so great he can hardly sleep on Friday nights.

And so goes his world of daily rituals and weekend field trips.

He doesn't know what it means to be discontent.

His life is simple.

He will never know the entanglements of wealth or power, and he does not care what brand of clothing he wears or what kind of food he eats. His needs have always been met, and he never worries that one day they may not be.

His hands are diligent. Kevin is never so happy as when he is working. When he unloads the dishwasher or vacuums the carpet, his heart is completely in it.

He does not shrink from a job when it is begun, and he does not leave a job until it is finished. But when his tasks are done, Kevin knows how to relax.

He is not obsessed with his work or the work of others. His heart is pure.

He still believes everyone tells the truth, promises must be kept, and when you are wrong, you apologize instead of argue.

Free from pride and unconcerned with appearances, Kevin is not afraid to cry when he is hurt, angry or sorry. He is always transparent, always sincere. And he trusts God.

Not confined by intellectual reasoning, when he comes to Christ, he comes as a child. Kevin seems to know God - to really be friends with Him in a way that is difficult for an 'educated' person to grasp. God seems like his closest companion.

In my moments of doubt and frustrations with my Christianity, I envy the security Kevin has in his simple faith.

It is then that I am most willing to admit that he has some divine knowledge that rises above my mortal questions.

It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God's care.

Who knows if Kevin comprehends things I can never learn? After all, he has spent his whole life in that kind of innocence, praying after dark and soaking up the goodness and love of God.

And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, and we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I'll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his bed.

Kevin won't be surprised at all!

You know, I actually really enjoyed reading this story. It is a very mind opening time in a persons life when they meet someone who is disabled mentally. It forces them to ask a lot of uncomfortable questions about reality, and about religion if they are faithful.

Why is he like this? Is god responsible for this? If so why? Why would he do that, and rob Kevin of the life he could have had born without a disability?

Perhaps more importantly, they might begin to wonder why it makes Kevin so happy just to do mundane things, and talk to himself at night. Why is he so happy? Why can't I be that happy even though my brain works just fine?

In a way, assuming Kevin is a real person some where, I am jealous of him. Don't get me wrong, I like having a working mind, that can think critically, but I am jealous of the simple way life doesn't get to Kevin. He is happy, all the time.

Who among us can say that? We can't be happy all the time, only some of the time, even if we lie and say that our religion makes it possible.

I admit I was a bit thrown by the idea of looking at a disabled person, and thinking "Maybe he knows some truth that I don't." Of course he doesn't. He's disabled. His mind has limitations, not extra power. Why would you assume that he is subject to a divine knowledge, that hasn't been offered to you? Strange thinking that.

Also, why would you want to have such blind and simple faith in anything? Why would you want your mind to be so simple, that you can believe unreasonable things forever, without a moment of doubt?

Why is it that you religious people are always admiring and aspiring to be like things that are so stupid? You call yourselves sheep, who blindly follow the shepherd. Do any of you christians have any idea how stupid sheep are? There is a reason they have a reputation for it.

Now, you wish you were more like retarded people, so that you can numb yourself off even more from reality, to hide yourself from the pain of death, hard work, and an unfair world. You act as though you are strong for comforting yourselves, but in the end, it exposes your childish weaknesses, and your unwillingness to face up to the truth. You don't like it, because it is hard, and it cuts you to the very center.

I couldn't help but notice as I was reading this post, the absolutely inane and fucking dumbass comments made by my Atheist comrades. For christ's sake you assholes, why can't you take a fucking sermon without whining about it?

I am so tired of reading stupid shit like "Who asked for this" and "What are you trying to accomplish by this" and "Take your sermons elsewhere". Look if you don't have any real feedback, that a theist could read and it would help them understand why we don't believe, why are you bothering to post your stupid complaints? We deal with believers every day, all day long, and that's the best you can do?

Some of the shit people said about Kevin in the story, was awful. What the fuck is wrong with you people? I know many of you have morals and would never say things like that outside of this forum. Why don't you have more respect for the author of this little story?

I don't know about you sorry assholes, but I pride myself on living a moral life, treating others the way i want to be treated. If I were the author of this story, your comments would not have been helpful to me, or even half decent in general.

Who cares if this whole thing was stolen, and pasted anyway? What does it matter? Isn't it better to post something constructive about the content than to bitch about it being fraud?

Yabut, who the fuck are you? Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-05-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 09:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 12:27 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  GOD LIVES UNDER THE BED

I envy Kevin. My brother, Kevin, thinks God lives under his bed. At least that's what I heard him say one night.

He was praying out loud in his dark bedroom, and I stopped to listen, 'Are you there, God?' he said. 'Where are you? Oh, I see. Under the bed....'

I giggled softly and tiptoed off to my own room. Kevin's unique perspectives are often a source of amusement. But that night something else lingered long after the humor. I realized for the first time the very different world Kevin lives in.

He was born 30 years ago, mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor. Apart from his size (he's 6-foot-2), there are few ways in which he is an adult.

He reasons and communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old, and he always will. He will probably always believe that God lives under his bed, that Santa Claus is the one who fills the space under our tree every Christmas and that airplanes stay up in the sky because angels carry them.

I remember wondering if Kevin realizes he is different. Is he ever dissatisfied with his monotonous life?

Up before dawn each day, off to work at a workshop for the disabled, home to walk our cocker spaniel, return to eat his favorite macaroni-and-cheese for dinner, and later to bed.

The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry, when he hovers excitedly over the washing machine like a mother with her newborn child.

He does not seem dissatisfied.

He lopes out to the bus every morning at 7:05, eager for a day of simple work.

He wrings his hands excitedly while the water boils on the stove before dinner, and he stays up late twice a week to gather our dirty laundry for his next day's laundry chores.

And Saturdays - oh, the bliss of Saturdays! That's the day my Dad takes Kevin to the airport to have a soft drink, watch the planes land, and speculate loudly on the destination of each passenger inside. 'That one's goin' to Chi-car-go! '
Kevin shouts as he claps his hands.

His anticipation is so great he can hardly sleep on Friday nights.

And so goes his world of daily rituals and weekend field trips.

He doesn't know what it means to be discontent.

His life is simple.

He will never know the entanglements of wealth or power, and he does not care what brand of clothing he wears or what kind of food he eats. His needs have always been met, and he never worries that one day they may not be.

His hands are diligent. Kevin is never so happy as when he is working. When he unloads the dishwasher or vacuums the carpet, his heart is completely in it.

He does not shrink from a job when it is begun, and he does not leave a job until it is finished. But when his tasks are done, Kevin knows how to relax.

He is not obsessed with his work or the work of others. His heart is pure.

He still believes everyone tells the truth, promises must be kept, and when you are wrong, you apologize instead of argue.

Free from pride and unconcerned with appearances, Kevin is not afraid to cry when he is hurt, angry or sorry. He is always transparent, always sincere. And he trusts God.

Not confined by intellectual reasoning, when he comes to Christ, he comes as a child. Kevin seems to know God - to really be friends with Him in a way that is difficult for an 'educated' person to grasp. God seems like his closest companion.

In my moments of doubt and frustrations with my Christianity, I envy the security Kevin has in his simple faith.

It is then that I am most willing to admit that he has some divine knowledge that rises above my mortal questions.

It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God's care.

Who knows if Kevin comprehends things I can never learn? After all, he has spent his whole life in that kind of innocence, praying after dark and soaking up the goodness and love of God.

And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, and we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I'll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his bed.

Kevin won't be surprised at all!

You know, I actually really enjoyed reading this story. It is a very mind opening time in a persons life when they meet someone who is disabled mentally. It forces them to ask a lot of uncomfortable questions about reality, and about religion if they are faithful.

Why is he like this? Is god responsible for this? If so why? Why would he do that, and rob Kevin of the life he could have had born without a disability?

Perhaps more importantly, they might begin to wonder why it makes Kevin so happy just to do mundane things, and talk to himself at night. Why is he so happy? Why can't I be that happy even though my brain works just fine?

In a way, assuming Kevin is a real person some where, I am jealous of him. Don't get me wrong, I like having a working mind, that can think critically, but I am jealous of the simple way life doesn't get to Kevin. He is happy, all the time.

Who among us can say that? We can't be happy all the time, only some of the time, even if we lie and say that our religion makes it possible.

I admit I was a bit thrown by the idea of looking at a disabled person, and thinking "Maybe he knows some truth that I don't." Of course he doesn't. He's disabled. His mind has limitations, not extra power. Why would you assume that he is subject to a divine knowledge, that hasn't been offered to you? Strange thinking that.

Also, why would you want to have such blind and simple faith in anything? Why would you want your mind to be so simple, that you can believe unreasonable things forever, without a moment of doubt?

Why is it that you religious people are always admiring and aspiring to be like things that are so stupid? You call yourselves sheep, who blindly follow the shepherd. Do any of you christians have any idea how stupid sheep are? There is a reason they have a reputation for it.

I am so tired of reading stupid shit like "Who asked for this" and "What are you trying to accomplish by this" and "Take your sermons elsewhere". Look if you don't have any real feedback, that a theist could read and it would help them understand why we don't believe, why are you bothering to post your stupid complaints? We deal with believers every day, all day long, and that's the best you can do?

No it isn't. It's crap. It's sentimental drivel. Get off your high-horse. SexuallyPleasingJebusTrollJoke has been haunting this place for months with his inane fundie crap. He said "you asked for it". That was a lie. Mocking the ridiculous is a fine American custom. Go read some of the nonsense he's posted, and then come and bitch at us.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2013, 06:44 PM
(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  I couldn't help but notice as I was reading this post, the absolutely inane and fucking dumbass comments made by my Atheist comrades. For christ's sake you assholes, why can't you take a fucking sermon without whining about it?

I'll never listen to another fucking sermon willingly, silently or reverently. The real question is why can't you understand that the people on this forum would like to find one small corner of the world without being preached to.

(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  I am so tired of reading stupid shit like "Who asked for this" and "What are you trying to accomplish by this" and "Take your sermons elsewhere". Look if you don't have any real feedback, that a theist could read and it would help them understand why we don't believe, why are you bothering to post your stupid complaints? We deal with believers every day, all day long, and that's the best you can do?

Exactly, we deal with them every day, and now we have to listen to more bullshit and act like we like it? Ain't happening bro.

(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  Some of the shit people said about Kevin in the story, was awful. What the fuck is wrong with you people? I know many of you have morals and would never say things like that outside of this forum. Why don't you have more respect for the author of this little story?

The poster passed it off as their own and we don't know that the story is true. Most likely just another made up fucking story used to preach.

(31-05-2013 04:59 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  I don't know about you sorry assholes, but I pride myself on living a moral life, treating others the way i want to be treated. If I were the author of this story, your comments would not have been helpful to me, or even half decent in general.

I care, it does matter.

You have no basis to shit all over the people on this board for their reactions to a pithy, stolen sermonizing story. I really resent your tirade, you wrote it like a real prick.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-05-2013, 06:49 PM
It does matter...it was presented in a dishonest manner...in direct opposition to the claim of Godliness.

Pick a fucking side...any side.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I could give a fuck if it's not real. Yeah it's annoying that PJ doesn't have the integrity to post honestly, but the point of his post still stands.

And I still think it's a stupid, misguided point.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-05-2013, 08:28 PM
As an aside, I once met a 22 year old young woman who had the mind of a 3 year old - forever. She was strikingly beautiful. She was very trusting and her parents had her committed to a small private institution where there were other people who had stopped mental development at a very early age. The place was a huge old Victorian, and it was set up just for a large family, and it was run like a household with 13 small children.

I was friends with one of the nurses there and visited on occasion.

It was a hard place to work. Not because the residents were in any way offensive, they were a lovely bunch to be around. But they did have adult bodies and urges and could not be left alone together - ever. They did not know what the urges were, but they had them and if left alone for just minutes you'd find them engaged in exploration.

The 22 year old woman (I don't know what to even call her, sometimes I remember her as a little girl and sometimes as a woman) was so gorgeous that everyone was scared to death that some man would get a hold of her... it was an incredible sight, this striking person behaving like a happy, bouncy 3 year old - the freedom of touch a 3 year old has, the lack of inhibition.

I have no idea whatever happened to her in life, she must be around 50 now. She left a huge impression on me and anyone who met her. The home was secular, I don't remember any signs of religion anywhere. It made me see just how much of our real, uninhibited personality we lose as we grow up. How much we are shaped by our environment. The world would sure be a much happier place if we could all remain like that....

It also brought to mind the dilemma of possible procreation. They were in no shape to make an actual decision about having their tubes tied or having a hysterectomy. But if they managed to mate, it surely wouldn't be a good thing, even if the kids were normal. Who would raise them?

Interesting problem, and I never quite could make up my mind about the morality of this.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-05-2013, 08:42 PM
PJ used the disabled and infirm to PROSELYTIZE. That is disgusting. And used them to pull at everyone's heartstrings. My response was to break that grasp on the heartstrings because I saw instantly that PJ wanted to PROSELYTIZE. My response was not (intended) to be disrespectful to the disabled. It was to break that pull on emotion the PJ was putting out there.
I don't agree with taking the hardship of one disabled person and using it for personal gain.... to get more believers to come to Jesus.

I come here to escape that drivel because I live in a place that will have people knocking on my door every single weekend for the next 6 months spewing this garbage...always in the guise of helping the needy. It gets old quickly when you see it all the time.

And then....finding out that this 'tug at the heartstrings story' was all over the internet.

that is just beyond fucked up on many different levels.

you may not like or agree with my methods, I'm ok with that. Go shake your finger at someone else.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
31-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Please Jesus...

Am I to believe you wrote this?

Shoo fly

Oh never mind I see others already realized it was a fake...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon