You Asked For It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
RE: You Asked For It
(01-06-2013 03:12 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's the old myth of the noble savage, translated to mental disability. The myth is unhealthy.

*mind blown* YAY! MOAR! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
(02-06-2013 08:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  See this face?
This is my "care face".
See this face?
This is my "don't care face".
Notice how they are identical? It's because I don't actually have a care face, because I don't care.

You need to take my warnings seriously. This lack of spelling and grammar proficiency could derail your (secret) plans for world domination. Dodgy

Ignore me at your peril. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
(31-05-2013 12:27 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God's care.

I think you completely missed the point of your own story. Kevin may or may not completely "trust [problems] to God's care"... you freely admit that you don't understand his point-of-view and so you don't know the extent of his various emotions, such as trust in God's care. Rather, it seems from what you've told us that his bliss comes from ignorance.

You claim that "you have the handicap", but let's analogize this. Let's say that your town will be destroyed by a bomb tomorrow, and you know that this is going to happen. Is your knowledge a "handicap"? If you place more value on your bliss than your survival, then it is a handicap -- but you probably don't. The reason that you worry about the bomb is that worry will cause you to spring into action and do what it takes to survive (such as leaving town). You worry about things and wish you didn't because you are ignoring the benefits of worry and only focusing on the downside, such as the mental anguish.

But anyway, the takeaway from this that has to do with "atheism and theism" is that, if you truly did desire Kevin's bliss, you would prefer atheism -- we don't fear the afterlife because we don't believe in it. According to what you've written, you'd prefer the happy state of atheism to your own fear of hell... that is, at least, if you didn't miss the point of your story, which is exactly what I said you did.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
02-06-2013, 09:34 AM
(02-06-2013 08:31 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
This is my "care face".
See this face?
Notice how they are identical? It's because I don't actually have a care face, because I don't care.

No, it's not that I'm laughing at...

I was reminded suddenly of a user who would write "quite" rather than "quiet" a lot. It tickled my funny bone. Big Grin

It wasn't you.

Works both ways... Consider

Although "PJ" and "gone" work well together.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
03-06-2013, 07:07 AM
(02-06-2013 09:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
This is my "care face".
See this face?

You need to take my warnings seriously. This lack of spelling and grammar proficiency could derail your (secret) plans for world domination. Dodgy

Why?
It's not like my bad spelling makes what I type/write unreadable.
And often if I get it wrong I'm at least close, ie: quite and quiet.
Hell, for all I know I did spell quiet "quiet" but typed "quite" by accident, like "teh" and "the" that sometimes people do.

But even so seriously, why would my bad spelling hinder my plans for world domination?
I can't think of anything that it would dramatically effect in a negative way.
What? in business? People aren't going to not get into business with me because of my bad spelling, a good business plan is a good business plan for example. Money is the business language, not english. If my numbers match and my plan makes good business sense and I can show that I can handle myself then a few misspelled words are not going to dramatically effect that.

You say it is such a big deal blah blah, but I don't see it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-06-2013, 07:10 AM
(03-06-2013 07:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 09:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  You need to take my warnings seriously. This lack of spelling and grammar proficiency could derail your (secret) plans for world domination. Dodgy

Why?
Hell, for all I kn:coffee:ow I did spell quiet "quiet" but typed "quite" by accident, like "teh" and "the" that sometimes people do.

But even so seriously, why would my bad spelling hinder my plans for world domination?
What? in business? People aren't going to not get into business with me because of my bad spelling, a good business plan is a good business plan for example. Money is the business language, not english. If my numbers match and my plan makes good business sense and I can show that I can handle myself then a few misspelled words are not going to dramatically effect that.

I see that you don't see. Drinking Beverage

That's how it's going to get you. You won't see it coming. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
(03-06-2013 07:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 09:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  You need to take my warnings seriously. This lack of spelling and grammar proficiency could derail your (secret) plans for world domination. Dodgy

Why?
Hell, for all I know I did spell quiet "quiet" but typed "quite" by accident, like "teh" and "the" that sometimes people do.

I am with Chas.
Society still considers the lack of spelling and writing skills an indication of low intelligence. It's a stigma, but you can't make it go away by ignoring it.
It's going to hugely affect the way people perceive you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Verily i say, let he who is without typo cast the first font.

(or something clever like that)

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 01:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-06-2013 07:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So PJ has gone quite all of a sudden, I wonder why...
lol.

We should be so lucky.
He only posts from his church office, during the day, (in the US), during the week.
This tells me, either he is actually paid by his fundie organization to bother people with his nonsense, or he just does it from his church office, and wastes his congregation's time and money.

The premise of this bullshit thread, is that religion and it's organizations are better off without members who actually use the brains they were born with, and a non-questioning one is better than one who does. Of course that crap is better for religion, if no one questions their nonsense, and less trouble for people like PJ, who run that set of businesses. Better to have sheeple. Duh.

The best response, (IMHO), was Gallileo's :
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
(03-06-2013 07:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 07:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why?
Hell, for all I kn:coffee:ow I did spell quiet "quiet" but typed "quite" by accident, like "teh" and "the" that sometimes people do.

I see that you don't see. Drinking Beverage

That's how it's going to get you. You won't see it coming. Consider

And I see that you can't give me an example in life where it will significantly effect my life for the negative... Drinking Beverage

Quote:I am with Chas.
Society still considers the lack of spelling and writing skills an indication of low intelligence. It's a stigma, but you can't make it go away by ignoring it.
It's going to hugely affect the way people perceive you.

I've never been bothered with the way society perceives me, why start now?

People can think I have an IQ lower then 100 all they wont, it doesn't bother me.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.