"You Atheists Only Mention The Bad Stuff In The Bible!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
"You Atheists Only Mention The Bad Stuff In The Bible!"
How many times have you heard this one? I tell Christians who say this that I agree that there are good things in the Bible, but there are good things in the teachings of Buddha and the Wiccan Rede. So I tell them that the problem is this: You can't come to me and tell me that the Bible is an infallible book and that without it we would have no moral rules to live by, and then turn around and get all pissed off when I point out all of the immoral garbage in the Bible, like condoning slavery, or that a child who disobeys their parents is to be taken to the city gates and stoned to death.

The fact is, if I truly lived by the Bible and it was the word of an infallible god, then you couldn't prosecute me for crimes like selling my daughter as a sex slave, or killing kids for making fun of a man for being bald. It is complete and utter hypocrisy to say that the Bible is an infallible book because it is the word of an infallible god, and that we need the Bible for morals, and then turn around and ignore all the immoral crap that is in there.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 06:33 PM
RE: "You Atheists Only Mention The Bad Stuff In The Bible!"
I often point out that the bad stuff heavily outweighs the good. Then ask them if they've ever actually read it themselves. Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Bible class, ready?

no man is righteous before god from Job, so whenever man tries to speak for god...

Love is void

I am that I am

faith is moral certainty

to thine own self, be true

as an extra special bonus,

the first of tao te ching, about how the tao that can be spoken is not the eternal tao.

It's like the Bible and some tao in six lines rather than six hundred pages; and I feel confident I covered alla good shit. So, there's that. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

Its hard to find a review better than thatSmile

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
That's like saying "You only mention the abuse my boyfriend/girlfriend does! I've also received flowers from them ya know!"
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
There's good stuff? Where??

[Image: wtf.gif]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-12-2013, 07:17 PM
(05-12-2013 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  That's like saying "You only mention the abuse my boyfriend/girlfriend does! I've also received flowers from them ya know!"

This was pretty much what came to my mind too.

I get this argument quite often, along with the "atheists think they know everything" one. The only other one I receive frequently is the assertion that I was 'never really a Christian in the first place' because I somehow still 'strayed.'

*firm eye roll*

The bad stuff is SO DISPROPORTIONATELY BAD compared to the VERY LITTLE good stuff, that I honestly don't understand how any Christian could consider that a valid argument. It's just like that movie The Book of Eli. At the end he says that the general message he received from reading the bible was that you should do more for others than you do for yourself. But yet anyone who objectively reads the bible would NEVER get that message from (even an intent & studious) reading.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 5 users Like Cephalotus's post
05-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I've heard it enough, and it's a terrible defense. I would not deny that there are some good things in the Bible (essentially a few things said by Jesus), but the existence of the bad parts makes the good parts irrelevant.

Be kind to your neighbours, except that gay one and that girl who had sex before marriage - stone them at the city gates.

Even if the Bible was 99% good stuff and 1% condoning rape, repression, and murder, it would still be an awful book, because those bad things are so overwhelmingly bad. It's not like atheists vilify the Bible by pointing to a story where Jesus was mean to a tree (though that story is hilarious). The fact that God repeatedly commands his followers to commit crimes against humanity is what makes the book terrible.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
05-12-2013, 08:20 PM
(05-12-2013 07:17 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  That's like saying "You only mention the abuse my boyfriend/girlfriend does! I've also received flowers from them ya know!"

This was pretty much what came to my mind too.

I get this argument quite often, along with the "atheists think they know everything" one.

We don't have to know *anything*, really. Even the Village Idiot can see that The Emperor Has No Clothes Thumbsup

Quote: The only other one I receive frequently is the assertion that I was 'never really a Christian in the first place' because I somehow still 'strayed.'

That's a *compliment*! Cool

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
05-12-2013, 08:59 PM
I said this to a friend and his response was that Jesus, changed it so there are only 2 commandments, love god and love they neighbor (which he explained can also mean stranger).

so any thing bad i can quote is vetoed by love thy anybody command.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".