"You Atheists Only Mention The Bad Stuff In The Bible!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
RE: "You Atheists Only Mention The Bad Stuff In The Bible!"
(05-12-2013 06:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How many times have you heard this one? I tell Christians who say this that I agree that there are good things in the Bible, but there are good things in the teachings of Buddha and the Wiccan Rede. So I tell them that the problem is this: You can't come to me and tell me that the Bible is an infallible book and that without it we would have no moral rules to live by, and then turn around and get all pissed off when I point out all of the immoral garbage in the Bible, like condoning slavery, or that a child who disobeys their parents is to be taken to the city gates and stoned to death.

The fact is, if I truly lived by the Bible and it was the word of an infallible god, then you couldn't prosecute me for crimes like selling my daughter as a sex slave, or killing kids for making fun of a man for being bald. It is complete and utter hypocrisy to say that the Bible is an infallible book because it is the word of an infallible god, and that we need the Bible for morals, and then turn around and ignore all the immoral crap that is in there.

Nice rant.

Feel better now?

Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
(05-12-2013 06:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How many times have you heard this one? I tell Christians who say this that I agree that there are good things in the Bible, but there are good things in the teachings of Buddha and the Wiccan Rede.

Yes, this is true. There is nothing special about the good stuff in the bible. It's no surprise that there are other books that have good stuff in them too. This is because they all have one thing in common. Humanity. All the good things in all these religions come from simple humanity. As humans we are altruists. We derive pleasure from doing something good for someone else. All the good from all these holy books could've been achieved without them. In fact they were achieved without them since our species has made it this far.

One of the ideas about the extinction of the neanderthals and our survival is that they were not social creatures, we were. We helped each other survive the ice age and they didn't.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
(05-12-2013 06:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How many times have you heard this one? I tell Christians who say this that I agree that there are good things in the Bible, but there are good things in the teachings of Buddha and the Wiccan Rede. So I tell them that the problem is this: You can't come to me and tell me that the Bible is an infallible book and that without it we would have no moral rules to live by, and then turn around and get all pissed off when I point out all of the immoral garbage in the Bible, like condoning slavery, or that a child who disobeys their parents is to be taken to the city gates and stoned to death.

The fact is, if I truly lived by the Bible and it was the word of an infallible god, then you couldn't prosecute me for crimes like selling my daughter as a sex slave, or killing kids for making fun of a man for being bald. It is complete and utter hypocrisy to say that the Bible is an infallible book because it is the word of an infallible god, and that we need the Bible for morals, and then turn around and ignore all the immoral crap that is in there.

When I hear this "argument", my first thought is:
Drinking Beverage

Then I usually counter with, well yes because it's the only point that needs to be made. The Bible is supposedly divinely inspired and therefore should contain zero bad stuff. The occurrence of even one bad thing throws a huge monkey wrench into the whole idea that it's divinely inspired. And, without divine inspiration, it's a worthless collection of fiction composed by various humans. So, when we point out that bad stuff, it's because nothing else needs to be said about that worthless collection of fiction.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Of course when you are criticizing you point out the weak points. Do creationists point out the positive evidence for evolution and the age of the earth/universe or do they point out gaps/flaws?

Seems like a straw man argument which attempts to deflect from uncomfortable text.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
(06-12-2013 08:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Nice rant.

Feel better now?

Smile

Well, I thought topics like this were the reason for the forum, not about making yourself feel better about your beliefs, or lack of belief. Silly me.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
(06-12-2013 10:52 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 06:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How many times have you heard this one? I tell Christians who say this that I agree that there are good things in the Bible, but there are good things in the teachings of Buddha and the Wiccan Rede.

Yes, this is true. There is nothing special about the good stuff in the bible. It's no surprise that there are other books that have good stuff in them too. This is because they all have one thing in common. Humanity. All the good things in all these religions come from simple humanity. As humans we are altruists. We derive pleasure from doing something good for someone else. All the good from all these holy books could've been achieved without them. In fact they were achieved without them since our species has made it this far.

One of the ideas about the extinction of the neanderthals and our survival is that they were not social creatures, we were. We helped each other survive the ice age and they didn't.

Yes, I've always found the whole argument to be quite ridiculous. How would the human race have ever survived if people had no morals before Christianity came around. Then again, you have your fundamentalist Christians who believe that the universe is only between 6,000 and 10,000 years old, and that beliefs in their god have existed since day one.

06-12-2013, 04:44 PM

To accuse an atheist of mentioning only the bad stuff in the Bible is like accusing a mathematician for invalidating a theorem because of only a few logical errors in it.

Ciao

- viole
[+] 5 users Like viole's post
06-12-2013, 10:28 PM
(06-12-2013 04:44 PM)viole Wrote:  To accuse an atheist of mentioning only the bad stuff in the Bible is like accusing a mathematician for invalidating a theorem because of only a few logical errors in it.

Exactly.

When you look at the sheer amount of apologetics written to try to deal with the bad stuff, you realize that most Christians don't like it either, and they're trying to make their belief system more palatable. Most of these excuses/justifications come off as either very non-falsifiable and made-up (mysterious ways. Satan did it. Fall did it. Flood did it), or exceptionally creepy (It's okay for God to kill children because he has dominion over humans and, earth is only temporary and their souls will end up in heaven anyway).

It gets brought up to remind them that they don't like it, either. If they're going to believe something that creepy, I want them to own it.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-12-2013, 11:30 PM
(06-12-2013 10:28 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 04:44 PM)viole Wrote:  To accuse an atheist of mentioning only the bad stuff in the Bible is like accusing a mathematician for invalidating a theorem because of only a few logical errors in it.

Exactly.

When you look at the sheer amount of apologetics written to try to deal with the bad stuff, you realize that most Christians don't like it either, and they're trying to make their belief system more palatable. Most of these excuses/justifications come off as either very non-falsifiable and made-up (mysterious ways. Satan did it. Fall did it. Flood did it), or exceptionally creepy (It's okay for God to kill children because he has dominion over humans and, earth is only temporary and their souls will end up in heaven anyway).

It gets brought up to remind them that they don't like it, either. If they're going to believe something that creepy, I want them to own it.

Yes, I've found the "it's ok for God to kill children because he has dominion over humans" argument to be quite disturbing. If God is infallible, then how could anything that he does be moral if that same action is considered immoral by humans (such as killing children)? It makes absolutely no sense.

07-12-2013, 12:17 AM
(05-12-2013 06:33 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I often point out that the bad stuff heavily outweighs the good. Then ask them if they've ever actually read it themselves. Big Grin

Reading the bible is a fast track to atheism, they know it and won't read it, other than the cherry-picking.

Hobo

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll