You Misunderstood.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2015, 09:01 PM
You Misunderstood.....
I've got a couple of people in my circle of family and friends who are just so frustrating to deal with, because they will make what I consider to be more conservative Christian posts on Facebook, or will say things in conversation that are clearly from a conservative Christian point of view, but who claim to be non-religious.

For example, just recently, one of them posted this cartoon of the Hallmark character "Maxine" holding an American flag, and saying, "Hey! It's either One Nation Under God or bite my ass and just leave!"

Blink

I answered, "So...I should just leave? That sounds a bit harsh. Also, It's ironic, because this post (though, I love you, I really do), totally invalidates the very next word in the pledge which is "indivisible." Seems to me that "One Nation, Indivisible" which is how it was originally written, seems more appropriate for a nation which is supposed to be welcoming of everyone."

The OP said: "Thought it was funny so i re- posted it as such. Something funny. I mean just seeing the old lady made me laugh. I realize not everyone gets my sarcasm. But if you really knew me. You would know i am not a religous person. So having the word "God" doesn't really bother me one way or the other. It use to, but as i've grown older. I have come to the realazation that things change and we all view things differently. No one persons opinion should looked at as a negative or as wrong. More so as a different view point. We all have our free speech and our own opinions. I'll leave it at that.I will not please everyone with my posts. That's ok, i welcome different points of view."

I left it alone after that, but it's frustrating dealing with people who post stuff like this, which is really pretty hateful, but then when called on it, make it seem like I am the one with the problem...that they were just joking...that I misunderstood...that I am hindering their free speech.

Just wondering if any of you have those people make these kind of "hit and run" type of insulting posts? How do you deal with it without making yourself look like a complete ass? Or is the best course of action to just walk away?

AJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2015, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2015 08:18 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
RE: You Misunderstood.....
To be honest, in the last few years I've insulated myself quite a bit, from a social media standpoint. Most of my friends who live locally, I don't follow on social media (don't see the point). If something or someone is interfering with my zen, for lack of a better term, they get a one time heartfelt discussion. If things continue in the same fashion, I don't hesitate to unfriend/unfollow.

Depending on the personal relationship outside of the interwebs, you may feel they qualify for additional leniency. But at some point you may come to the conclusion, that its not worth the time and boot them anyway. Nothing wrong with either approach, different strokes for different folks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
27-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Well, the thing is that the person in the example above is a family member, and to be honest, most of their posts are really tame and not political/religious at all. So, I don't feel justified in ignoring, or whatever. It's just those posts here and there...a clearly religious post that talks about God and Jesus and this person will say, "I'm not posting this because I'm religious." Or, there was one time they posted again about people wanting to take "Under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance and they flat out said, "Atheists are ruining this country." But when I called them on that comment, they again talked about how they aren't religious and how they love everyone and that the post was just taken wrong.

If someone is clear on their position and I oppose them, then I don't have a problem stating my position. My older brother is very against gay marriage, and we've sparred online before. I feel like at least that I can argue against because he's very clear on his position and I am very clear on mine.

I'm just unsure of how to deal with the person that will say stuff like "Atheists are ruining this country" then, when challenged, go into the whole "hey, don't get me wrong...I'm not religious and I love everyone, and everyone's opinion should be welcome and you took my comment wrong" etc.

AJ
28-04-2015, 12:18 AM
The next time one of your "irreligious" contacts witlessly spouts some pro-religious wackiness, try a response like this:

"When you're being sarcastic like that it's good idea to indicate that it's sarcasm, with a smiley or italics or something, so it's clear it's sarcasm. Otherwise some people might read it as something you actually mean. Fortunately I could see right away you were being sarcastic and got a good laugh out of it".
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
28-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Just stop following those people

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Great reply focusing on the "indivisible" to point out the contradiction your family member just created. You handled it very well. If people pull out the pledge of allegiance again, you can also add "freedom and justice for all requires a compulsory loyalty oath???" Of course it isn't compulsory, but odds are they won't know that.
28-04-2015, 09:57 AM
I like the way you called them out on it, and I think once called out, they started back pedaling.

I think you have to judge case by case. Watch to see if this person's posts in the future become less judgemental.

I find it odd that their response was a 'to each his own' and the cartoon was 'my way or the highway'

they are trying to fit in, not make a statement, because when pressed, they back off rather quickly.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller