You Think YOU'VE had a hard day at the Office?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 06:36 PM
You Think YOU'VE had a hard day at the Office?
From the PBS Documentary Carrier, Episode 8: Rites Of Passage

Pilots trying to land on the USS Nimitz in rough seas at night with deck swells +/- 30 ft! Kudos to the final pilot, CMDR Dave 'Sex' Fravor of VFA-41 who nails it on the first try!

Part 1

Part 2

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2012, 06:52 PM
RE: You Think YOU'VE had a hard day at the Office?
Carlo, could you supply the links as it's copy right blocked as I'm not in the US.
Edit: I don't think you can - it's a PBS issue or something...

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
23-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Sure can

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGMI8d3v...ata_player

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0yj70QbB...ata_player

Here's the website for the series. I think you can watch all 10 full episodes here.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

24-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I always thought it was amazing they could land those jets on an aircraft carrier.

Although, I have to admit. My work is pretty crazy.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
25-05-2012, 01:25 AM
I haven't watched it because of copywrite stuff but I'm calling weak pansies on this one.

"Oh look at me, I'm a navy fighter pilot flying my plane in a slight breeze. I mean I'm in my nice warm cabin in my protective clothing with a computer doing half the work while I just sit here dunking a biscuit in my cup of warm coco".

Pansy ass bitch.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-05-2012, 06:28 AM
(25-05-2012 01:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I haven't watched it because of copywrite stuff but I'm calling weak pansies on this one.

"Oh look at me, I'm a navy fighter pilot flying my plane in a slight breeze. I mean I'm in my nice warm cabin in my protective clothing with a computer doing half the work while I just sit here dunking a biscuit in my cup of warm coco".

Pansy ass bitch.
Yep, I can't watch it either because of the same reason - bloomin copyright crap! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 03:14 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(25-05-2012 01:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I haven't watched it because of copywrite stuff but I'm calling weak pansies on this one.

Pansy ass bitch.
Dude, do you know what goes on when landing an F-18F Rhino or similar aircraft on a flattop at night?

Try to imagine driving a 40,000 lb semi trailer in three dimensions at 150 MPH (240km/h) towards a 75 x 75ft space. You must hold your airspeed, glide path, and angle of attack with precisions down to a few tenths of a degree at touchdown and +/- 2ft from centerline of the landing area. Get it wrong, your tailhook won't snag a wire & you bolter or, if you're too low, potentially smash into the back of the ship. It's pitch black outside; you have no visual references of the sea and sky and are flying totally on instruments. The only thing visible is the landing area which just looks like a tiny rectangle of lights on endless sea of black velvet wrapped around the jet. Add to this that the engines have a delayed response to throttle inputs, a 20 ton jet has a lot of inertia to it, and the landing area is moving forward and to the right, which has to be corrected for in the approach.

So you have to do all that and now add to it gusting winds and a sea which is making the flight deck roll, rise and fall as much as a 3 story building! And you only have enough gas onboard for three landing attempts before you either have to hook up with a tanker or you run out of gas and have to eject into a freezing ocean at night! Now how's THAT for a bunch of pansies?!?!?!?!?!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
(04-06-2012 03:08 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

Pansy ass bitch.
Dude, do you know what goes on when landing an F-18F Rhino or similar aircraft on a flattop at night?

Try to imagine driving a 40,000 lb semi trailer in three dimensions at 150 MPH (240km/h) towards a 75 x 75ft space. You must hold your airspeed, glide path, and angle of attack with precisions down to a few tenths of a degree at touchdown and +/- 2ft from centerline of the landing area. Get it wrong, your tailhook won't snag a wire & you bolter or, if you're too low, potentially smash into the back of the ship. It's pitch black outside; you have no visual references of the sea and sky and are flying totally on instruments. The only thing visible is the landing area which just looks like a tiny rectangle of lights on endless sea of black velvet wrapped around the jet. Add to this that the engines have a delayed response to throttle inputs, a 20 ton jet has a lot of inertia to it, and the landing area is moving forward and to the right, which has to be corrected for in the approach.

So you have to do all that and now add to it gusting winds and a sea which is making the flight deck roll, rise and fall as much as a 3 story building! And you only have enough gas onboard for three landing attempts before you either have to hook up with a tanker or you run out of gas and have to eject into a freezing ocean at night! Now how's THAT for a bunch of pansies?!?!?!?!?!
You forgot that they were also dunking biscuits in warm cocoa.

Under Repair.