"You are interpreting the bible wrong"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 03:39 AM
"You are interpreting the bible wrong"
I am sure you have ALL heard this before…

It annoys me because when I present them many things from leviticus or Matthew they freak and tell me "its metaphorical".

How Leviticus 20:10 has some deep meaning is beyond me…

Also, the cop-out "Jesus abolished the Old Testament laws" is absurd and the bible even says:

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Matthew 10:34-36

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

So, what do you guys say to people who say we are interpreting it wrong OR that Jesus abolished the old laws?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 07:32 AM
RE: "You are interpreting the bible wrong"
This is how my friend hears my logical arguments of the bible.

ME: But here it says lalala, and here it says lalalalala, so they contradict each other.
HIM: Man is not qualified to judge the bible, its gods word, you don't understand it because you don't want to, my preacher says lalalala.
ME: If I believed a super mega man existed and there was a book about him I would study every word rather than listen to a preacher explain only the nice bits.
HIM: Why teach your self guitar when you can learn from a teacher.
ME: wanna Beer

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
09-01-2014, 07:38 AM
(09-01-2014 03:39 AM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  So, what do you guys say to people who say we are interpreting it wrong OR that Jesus abolished the old laws?

In my head, I laugh as they are reconciling their weird iron-age mythology with the weird bronze-age mythology on which it piggy-backs.

I don't usually get into Biblical arguments with Christians. I may for a bit, just to see what they say, but I'm not going to get into a serious discussion on which bits are context dependent, which are metaphorical, and which are totally, literally true. Down that path lies tears and frustration.

(relevant SMBC comic)

I will argue concepts of evidence and broader concepts of theology.

(09-01-2014 07:32 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ME: wanna Beer

Sounds awesome. I wish all religious debates went this way.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
To them i just show this video :-

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 5 users Like IndianAtheist's post
09-01-2014, 08:27 AM
You know, I'd be more impressed with Christianity if Christians could just agree on how to interpret the Bible RIGHT. The observable fact that there are so many alternative interpretations, even among the believers, is the surest indicator that this book is not a reliable guide to some universal truth. If it were reliable, it would not produce such wildly variant results.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still have much of the same factual issues when examining the dogma. But at least Christianity would be able to stand upright for the examination, rather than behaving like a QWOP athlete.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
(09-01-2014 08:27 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  You know, I'd be more impressed with Christianity if Christians could just agree on how to interpret the Bible RIGHT. The observable fact that there are so many alternative interpretations, even among the believers, is the surest indicator that this book is not a reliable guide to some universal truth. If it were reliable, it would not produce such wildly variant results.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still have much of the same factual issues when examining the dogma. But at least Christianity would be able to stand upright for the examination, rather than behaving like a QWOP athlete.

Well, if you'd stop being so skeptical and listen to the Holy Spirit, you'd know which interpretation was correct. And when anyone else tells you that their interpretation came from the Holy Spirit, you'd know it was actually from Satan. So, you could solve this problem by being less skeptical and by being better at determining which non-falsifiable spirit was communicating with you. It's simple, really!

If all the people with wrong interpretations could just admit to their Satanic influence, the Christians could finally move forward. This is why we can't have nice things.
09-01-2014, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 05:08 PM by Just Another Atheist.)
Interpretation is something rather…obvious.

Certain phrases in Leviticus are quite obvious and literal. And since they are laws, they should ONLY be interpreted in one way according to the definition of the word.

If that is the case, should Christians interpret the Ten Commandment differently? It is ridiculous and its just a cop out because they feel they have been shown proof on how the bible has a terrible book.

A fight I often see is this

Me: *shows them many verses on homosexuality, slavery, killing children, etc*
Them: You are interpreting it wrong, and besides, god would not mean that because it says here in Matthew that he is a merciful, peaceful, loving god.
Me: How do you know you are interpreting THAT phrase correctly?

You see, they not only pick and choose verses they like, they pick and choose which verses are also literal and metaphorical. Its absurd.

I only say its actions that define who you are, and what I mean by this is; if you say you are a great, loving, peaceful person but the evidence CLEARLY shows you are a murderous, jealous, sexist, racist, homophobic, person… Then I don't care what you have said, I am going with that.
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
09-01-2014, 05:16 PM
If this book is the word of god then it's not possible for me to interpret it wrong.
As a human being I cannot change, alter, ignore or mask the meaning that a god is sending me.

If my interpretation is wrong then the words I'm reading didn't come from a god.
If those words have been altered over time, then they didn't come from a god.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2014, 08:45 PM
(09-01-2014 05:03 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Interpretation is something rather…obvious.

Certain phrases in Leviticus are quite obvious and literal. And since they are laws, they should ONLY be interpreted in one way according to the definition of the word.

If that is the case, should Christians interpret the Ten Commandment differently? It is ridiculous and its just a cop out because they feel they have been shown proof on how the bible has a terrible book.

A fight I often see is this

Me: *shows them many verses on homosexuality, slavery, killing children, etc*
Them: You are interpreting it wrong, and besides, god would not mean that because it says here in Matthew that he is a merciful, peaceful, loving god.
Me: How do you know you are interpreting THAT phrase correctly?

You see, they not only pick and choose verses they like, they pick and choose which verses are also literal and metaphorical. Its absurd.

I only say its actions that define who you are, and what I mean by this is; if you say you are a great, loving, peaceful person but the evidence CLEARLY shows you are a murderous, jealous, sexist, racist, homophobic, person… Then I don't care what you have said, I am going with that.
Quoting the video :-

Well then there MUST be a context where genocide and barbarism is the epitome of kindness,generosity and love or else yahweh wouldn't have done it would HE ?

If it sounds horrendous,brutal,savage,merciless,immoral,murderous,petty,heartless,unjust,sick​ening appalling,barbaric,cruel,unfair and ridiculous or disgusting ITS DEFINITELY BEEN TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT !

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
09-01-2014, 08:51 PM
(09-01-2014 03:39 AM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  So, what do you guys say to people who say we are interpreting it wrong OR that Jesus abolished the old laws?

I try not to say anything to them at all. It is a futile endeavor to even try.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon