You are surprised that you are charged admission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 06:44 AM
You are surprised that you are charged admission?
So the 9/11 memorial will be charging a $24 admission fee. They receive ZERO federal museum funding. This is the only real way to keep the doors open, the lights on and the place clean. Private donors only go so far

Do you think that the people that work there should work for free? That the utility company should just give them their power?

The families of the victims are not charged anything.

I just don't understand why people think things should be free? Nothing in life is free...nothing.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
24-01-2014, 06:56 AM
RE: You are surprised that you are charged admission?
(24-01-2014 06:44 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So the 9/11 memorial will be charging a $24 admission fee. They receive ZERO federal museum funding. This is the only real way to keep the doors open, the lights on and the place clean. Private donors only go so far

Do you think that the people that work there should work for free? That the utility company should just give them their power?

I just don't understand why people think things should be free? Nothing in life is free...nothing.

How do they do things at the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii? Is this par for the course, or not?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
24-01-2014, 07:16 AM
(24-01-2014 06:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 06:44 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So the 9/11 memorial will be charging a $24 admission fee. They receive ZERO federal museum funding. This is the only real way to keep the doors open, the lights on and the place clean. Private donors only go so far

How do they do things at the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii? Is this par for the course, or not?

from the Pearl Harbor website- NPS
Quote:There is no charge for admission to World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. While the USS Arizona Memorial tickets themselves do not have a cost, the other Pearl Harbor Historic Sites are non-profit entities that charge fees for admission. Regardless of ticket type, each reservation made via http://www.Recreation.gov includes a $1.50 per ticket, non-refundable convenience fee.

I think it just depends on who owns it….the National Park Service, or a non profit, or some other entity.

I am not surprised that they charge admission. $24/pp seems rather high to me because I compare it to other memorials in DC and other places, but I believe they are free because they are run by the NPS. And I look at it as a place of American history, and should be more accessible. For me to take just my family of 4 its almost $100 to just walk in the door? What are they charging school groups? I would rather it go to the National Park Service and more accessible to all.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-01-2014, 07:24 AM
(24-01-2014 06:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Federal funding

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-01-2014, 07:28 AM
(24-01-2014 07:16 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 06:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How do they do things at the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii? Is this par for the course, or not?

from the Pearl Harbor website- NPS
Quote:There is no charge for admission to World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. While the USS Arizona Memorial tickets themselves do not have a cost, the other Pearl Harbor Historic Sites are non-profit entities that charge fees for admission. Regardless of ticket type, each reservation made via http://www.Recreation.gov includes a $1.50 per ticket, non-refundable convenience fee.

I think it just depends on who owns it….the National Park Service, or a non profit, or some other entity.

I am not surprised that they charge admission. $24/pp seems rather high to me because I compare it to other memorials in DC and other places, but I believe they are free because they are run by the NPS. And I look at it as a place of American history, and should be more accessible. For me to take just my family of 4 its almost $100 to just walk in the door? What are they charging school groups? I would rather it go to the National Park Service and more accessible to all.

The National parks service does a great job, but they experience a lot of vandalism because the funds to keep it pristene and provide security just isn't there. You go through medal detectors in order to visit the memorial.

There is no food or drink allowed inside and they enforce it. The only thing you pay leave behind is a rose to lay on a name.

There is no trash on the ground, no pennies thrown into the fountain, and the tribute they give to the victims is simply wonderful.

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-01-2014, 07:35 AM
(24-01-2014 07:28 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 07:16 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  from the Pearl Harbor website- NPS

The National parks service does a great job, but they experience a lot of vandalism because the funds to keep it pristene and provide security just isn't there. You go through medal detectors in order to visit the memorial.

There is no food or drink allowed inside and they enforce it. The only thing you pay leave behind is a rose to lay on a name.

There is no trash on the ground, no pennies thrown into the fountain, and the tribute they give to the victims is simply wonderful.

I love the NPS, like NASA they really know how to stretch their $$. Maybe we should put them in charge of the national budget. Consider
And I wish we did funnel more funds to them.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Just to clarify, the actual memorial is free...the museum charges

24-01-2014, 08:25 AM
There's something off about charging for a memorial. Especially such a steep fee.
3,000 people lost their lives and now there's someone charging people $24pp to go pay their respects to those 3,000 people.
It's disgusting.

The government should pick up the tab.
In the grand scheme of things the government has to pay for this would hardly be a drop in the bucket price wise.
Not to mention nobody is gonna complain that the government pays to maintain a memorial to 9/11...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-01-2014, 08:47 AM

Yes a good idea to charge a fee. Of course.
$24 as an amount?
(is there sales tax on this admission fee?) A better marketing ploy would have made the fee an easy $20 (or preferably an amount plus sales tax equaling $20)
It is easier to get people to simply hand over a $20 than fumble for other amounts. If the site is trying to fund itself making it easier on the visitors and therefore making needed funding add up via quantity would be more ideal. Just my two cents worth.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
24-01-2014, 08:55 AM
(24-01-2014 08:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The government should pick up the tab.

Yes. But they're not. So a fee is needed.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.