You are surprised that you are charged admission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: You are surprised that you are charged admission?
(24-01-2014 07:28 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 07:16 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  from the Pearl Harbor website- NPS

I think it just depends on who owns it….the National Park Service, or a non profit, or some other entity.

I am not surprised that they charge admission. $24/pp seems rather high to me because I compare it to other memorials in DC and other places, but I believe they are free because they are run by the NPS. And I look at it as a place of American history, and should be more accessible. For me to take just my family of 4 its almost $100 to just walk in the door? What are they charging school groups? I would rather it go to the National Park Service and more accessible to all.

The National parks service does a great job, but they experience a lot of vandalism because the funds to keep it pristene and provide security just isn't there. You go through medal detectors in order to visit the memorial.

There is no food or drink allowed inside and they enforce it. The only thing you pay leave behind is a rose to lay on a name.

There is no trash on the ground, no pennies thrown into the fountain, and the tribute they give to the victims is simply wonderful.

I went to pearl harbor after my uncle's wedding a few years ago. It's so eerie, no one speaks word. You can just feel the emotion in the air. A few family members were visiting their father's name on the wall and were still crying. I also remember looking down and still seeing the oil slick leaking from the Arizona. Truly awe inspiring.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 09:15 AM
(24-01-2014 08:55 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 07:28 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  The National parks service does a great job, but they experience a lot of vandalism because the funds to keep it pristene and provide security just isn't there. You go through medal detectors in order to visit the memorial.

There is no food or drink allowed inside and they enforce it. The only thing you pay leave behind is a rose to lay on a name.

There is no trash on the ground, no pennies thrown into the fountain, and the tribute they give to the victims is simply wonderful.

I went to pearl harbor after my uncle's wedding a few years ago. It's so eerie, no one speaks word. You can just feel the emotion in the air. A few family members were visiting their father's name on the wall and were still crying. I also remember looking down and still seeing the oil slick leaking from the Arizona. Truly awe inspiring.

Agreed. My feelings exactly.
Except for maybe additionally I was quite moved to tears.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
24-01-2014, 09:18 AM
(24-01-2014 09:15 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 08:55 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I went to pearl harbor after my uncle's wedding a few years ago. It's so eerie, no one speaks word. You can just feel the emotion in the air. A few family members were visiting their father's name on the wall and were still crying. I also remember looking down and still seeing the oil slick leaking from the Arizona. Truly awe inspiring.

Agreed. My feelings exactly.
Except for maybe additionally I was quite moved to tears.

I just didn't want to admit that... But yeah, there's no way to describe it unless you've been there.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
24-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I dunno, Muff. I think its a little ridiculous that you think this sort of thing should be free.

Again, I clarified earlier that the memorial is free, but the museum is what the charge is for. It costs 60 Million annually to run the memorial and the museum. You think the government should pick up that tab? which actually means just the tax payers?

Come on. How much do you think you should get for nothing? People need to get paid. Its unfair for you (not you specifically, you in general), to say out of one side of your mouth that we need to increase minimum wages, but out of the other side of your mouth say you don't want to pay for it. I just don't understand that

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-01-2014, 11:10 AM
(24-01-2014 10:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I dunno, Muff. I think its a little ridiculous that you think this sort of thing should be free.

Again, I clarified earlier that the memorial is free, but the museum is what the charge is for. It costs 60 Million annually to run the memorial and the museum. You think the government should pick up that tab? which actually means just the tax payers?

Come on. How much do you think you should get for nothing? People need to get paid. Its unfair for you (not you specifically, you in general), to say out of one side of your mouth that we need to increase minimum wages, but out of the other side of your mouth say you don't want to pay for it. I just don't understand that

I agree with Muffs.
I think this should be handed over to the NPS or who ever it is that takes care of the monuments in DC.
I think we need to increase the NPS budget to handle the expense.
I think the taxpayers need to foot the bill.
I think it benefits us all- on many levels - culturally, personally (like with Pearl Harbor), as well as the history lessons.

But, it isn't, so a nominal fee is expected. I still think $24pp is too much.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-01-2014, 11:20 AM
(24-01-2014 11:10 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 10:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I dunno, Muff. I think its a little ridiculous that you think this sort of thing should be free.

I agree with Muffs.
I think this should be handed over to the NPS or who ever it is that takes care of the monuments in DC.
I think we need to increase the NPS budget to handle the expense.
I think the taxpayers need to foot the bill.
I think it benefits us all- on many levels - culturally, personally (like with Pearl Harbor), as well as the history lessons.

But, it isn't, so a nominal fee is expected. I still think $24pp is too much.

B&A - I guess I just respectfully disagree. The thing is, I find it hard to believe that if you can afford a trip to NYC but you can't afford this fee?

You can afford your hotel (at least $280 during the off season)
You can afford to pay for food (NYC average price for a dinner is $25 pp)
You engage in tourism - the Empire State building is $27pp dollars, The statue of liberty is $28pp, to ice-skate in rockafeller center is $43pp, and to go to the top of the rock, is $32pp.
Perhaps you even went to a broadway show. (depending on your seat, at least $40pp for cheap seats)

So you'll have to pardon me if I get a little miffed that if you can afford all of this, that $24pp is something you can afford.

Thats the problem with charity. A lot of people want charity, so long as they aren't the ones being charitable.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
24-01-2014, 12:07 PM
(24-01-2014 08:47 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ...
A better marketing ploy would have made the fee an easy $20

A better marketing ploy would have been to charge $40.00.

With $20.00 going to a survivors' fund.

I don't think I'd go because it would seem morbid. But feeling that I was donating to something worthwhile... OK.

Experiencing the Paris 11/11 service (hard not to be moved by this) or the Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam War museum (also moving) were free of charge but whether that made it less morbid or just that it was more distant history, I dunno.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree with Cathy Thumbsup

No such thing as a free meal. If something costs money to run, then it has a very real right (and need) to charge for its use. The burden of this does not and should not need to fall to taxpayers (i.e. the govt). If it comes to a vote, and there is a majority agreement for the gov't to pick up the tab, then so be it. But until then, pay for your own damn museum visit... Dodgy Angel

As a side note, I remember going to Pearl Harbor when I was 8 or so. I didn't know the history at the time, so I thought it was slightly cool, but mostly boring.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
24-01-2014, 12:22 PM
(24-01-2014 12:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 08:47 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ...
A better marketing ploy would have made the fee an easy $20

A better marketing ploy would have been to charge $40.00.

With $20.00 going to a survivors' fund.

I don't think I'd go because it would seem morbid. But feeling that I was donating to something worthwhile... OK.

Experiencing the Paris 11/11 service (hard not to be moved by this) or the Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam War museum (also moving) were free of charge but whether that made it less morbid or just that it was more distant history, I dunno.

Lots of ways to pitch a different amount. But I like Very much the idea of Survivor Fund! Or make it $20 with half going to Survivor Fund (?) Bet the number of visitors would double on any given day
Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
24-01-2014, 01:08 PM
(24-01-2014 12:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I agree with Cathy Thumbsup

No such thing as a free meal. If something costs money to run, then it has a very real right (and need) to charge for its use. The burden of this does not and should not need to fall to taxpayers (i.e. the govt). If it comes to a vote, and there is a majority agreement for the gov't to pick up the tab, then so be it. But until then, pay for your own damn museum visit... Dodgy Angel

As a side note, I remember going to Pearl Harbor when I was 8 or so. I didn't know the history at the time, so I thought it was slightly cool, but mostly boring.

It just bugs me that people have no qualms about shelling out $27pp and $28 to go the empire state building and statue of liberty but $24 for a museum? oh no...no thats too much.