You are surprised that you are charged admission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: You are surprised that you are charged admission?
(24-01-2014 06:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 06:44 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So the 9/11 memorial will be charging a $24 admission fee. They receive ZERO federal museum funding. This is the only real way to keep the doors open, the lights on and the place clean. Private donors only go so far

Do you think that the people that work there should work for free? That the utility company should just give them their power?

The families of the victims are not charged anything.

I just don't understand why people think things should be free? Nothing in life is free...nothing.

How do they do things at the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii? Is this par for the course, or not?

They do charge for the tour. We did it a couple years ago.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 01:19 PM
(24-01-2014 06:44 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So the 9/11 memorial will be charging a $24 admission fee. They receive ZERO federal museum funding. This is the only real way to keep the doors open, the lights on and the place clean. Private donors only go so far

Do you think that the people that work there should work for free? That the utility company should just give them their power?

The families of the victims are not charged anything.

I just don't understand why people think things should be free? Nothing in life is free...nothing.

I think it's completely fair and nice they don't charge families of the victims.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-01-2014, 01:23 PM
(24-01-2014 12:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 08:47 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ...
A better marketing ploy would have made the fee an easy $20

A better marketing ploy would have been to charge $40.00.

With $20.00 going to a survivors' fund.

I don't think I'd go because it would seem morbid. But feeling that I was donating to something worthwhile... OK.

Experiencing the Paris 11/11 service (hard not to be moved by this) or the Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam War museum (also moving) were free of charge but whether that made it less morbid or just that it was more distant history, I dunno.

DLJ - its actually very peaceful there. The way the fountains are designed, it completely drowns out the noise of the city. People are respectful and quiet so all you hear is the rushing water.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-01-2014, 03:26 PM
(24-01-2014 11:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:10 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I agree with Muffs.
I think this should be handed over to the NPS or who ever it is that takes care of the monuments in DC.
I think we need to increase the NPS budget to handle the expense.
I think the taxpayers need to foot the bill.
I think it benefits us all- on many levels - culturally, personally (like with Pearl Harbor), as well as the history lessons.

But, it isn't, so a nominal fee is expected. I still think $24pp is too much.

B&A - I guess I just respectfully disagree. The thing is, I find it hard to believe that if you can afford a trip to NYC but you can't afford this fee?

You can afford your hotel (at least $280 during the off season)
You can afford to pay for food (NYC average price for a dinner is $25 pp)
You engage in tourism - the Empire State building is $27pp dollars, The statue of liberty is $28pp, to ice-skate in rockafeller center is $43pp, and to go to the top of the rock, is $32pp.
Perhaps you even went to a broadway show. (depending on your seat, at least $40pp for cheap seats)

So you'll have to pardon me if I get a little miffed that if you can afford all of this, that $24pp is something you can afford.

Thats the problem with charity. A lot of people want charity, so long as they aren't the ones being charitable.

I was planning on seeing NYC on my next road trip... But thats a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. Still, a hotel is probably necessary. The empire state and statue of libery are both symbols of human progress and ingenuity. The top of the rock might let you see the city, and may or may not be of interest after hittin the empire state building. I can certainly do without the $43 skating.

The 911 museum MIGHT be interesting, if it weren't $24 to see what remains of a major step backward for human kind... mangled rubble from an attack that involved two things you see every day (planes and buildings), and the resulting artwork from people who either lost loved ones, or felt compelled by the events of 9/11... Its a new building, in rememberance of other buildings and death. Its fractionally as sad as a war museum without any of the interesting technology or ingenuity. But hey, its been proven that people think things are worth more when they cost more.
24-01-2014, 04:43 PM
(24-01-2014 08:55 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 08:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The government should pick up the tab.

Yes. But they're not. So a fee is needed.

And that's exactly why they wont pick up the tab.
Why pay for it when an admission fee now covers costs?

Quote:I dunno, Muff. I think its a little ridiculous that you think this sort of thing should be free.

Again, I clarified earlier that the memorial is free, but the museum is what the charge is for. It costs 60 Million annually to run the memorial and the museum. You think the government should pick up that tab? which actually means just the tax payers?

Come on. How much do you think you should get for nothing? People need to get paid. Its unfair for you (not you specifically, you in general), to say out of one side of your mouth that we need to increase minimum wages, but out of the other side of your mouth say you don't want to pay for it. I just don't understand that

Why is it ridiculous? Our national museum, Te Papa (it's Maori for something I don't know what the fuck it means), in town is free.
There's a gift shop and a cafe that you can buy things and they have a new display thing every month that charges admission (often international displays).

It's free because it's our national museum. It portrays our history, our culture, our wildlife etc... all that New Zealand crap.
It's important for it to be free because New Zealanders have a right a go their and learn about their history and culture.

It's the same with this 9/11 thing. More so in fact because it was such a huge tragedy in your history. Americans should have a right to be able to learn about it for free. And yes the tax payer should pay for it because it should be every Americans right to understand and learn about what happened that day.

And I don't think the minimum wage should increase at all.

Quote:It just bugs me that people have no qualms about shelling out $27pp and $28 to go the empire state building and statue of liberty but $24 for a museum? oh no...no thats too much.

The Empire State building isn't a museum to the murder of 3,000 people.
Nor is the Statue of Liberty.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-01-2014, 05:10 PM
(24-01-2014 03:26 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  B&A - I guess I just respectfully disagree. The thing is, I find it hard to believe that if you can afford a trip to NYC but you can't afford this fee?

You can afford your hotel (at least $280 during the off season)
You can afford to pay for food (NYC average price for a dinner is $25 pp)
You engage in tourism - the Empire State building is $27pp dollars, The statue of liberty is $28pp, to ice-skate in rockafeller center is $43pp, and to go to the top of the rock, is $32pp.
Perhaps you even went to a broadway show. (depending on your seat, at least $40pp for cheap seats)

So you'll have to pardon me if I get a little miffed that if you can afford all of this, that $24pp is something you can afford.

Thats the problem with charity. A lot of people want charity, so long as they aren't the ones being charitable.

I was planning on seeing NYC on my next road trip... But thats a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. Still, a hotel is probably necessary. The empire state and statue of libery are both symbols of human progress and ingenuity. The top of the rock might let you see the city, and may or may not be of interest after hittin the empire state building. I can certainly do without the $43 skating.

The 911 museum MIGHT be interesting, if it weren't $24 to see what remains of a major step backward for human kind... mangled rubble from an attack that involved two things you see every day (planes and buildings), and the resulting artwork from people who either lost loved ones, or felt compelled by the events of 9/11... Its a new building, in rememberance of other buildings and death. Its fractionally as sad as a war museum without any of the interesting technology or ingenuity. But hey, its been proven that people think things are worth more when they cost more.

Before you go to NYC, send me a PM. I might be able to meet you for coffee or something! If not, I can at least give you the inside scoop on where to eat depending on what types of foods you like.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-01-2014, 05:17 PM
(24-01-2014 04:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:It just bugs me that people have no qualms about shelling out $27pp and $28 to go the empire state building and statue of liberty but $24 for a museum? oh no...no thats too much.

The Empire State building isn't a museum to the murder of 3,000 people.
Nor is the Statue of Liberty.

Never said it was. My point was that if you can shell money out for touristy things, than don't tell me the government and taxpayer (i.e., ME) needs to pick up that tab?

I guess the bigger questions is why wouldn't you WANT to pay for it? Thats money that you essentially donate (a pittance compared to other attractions that you may have shelled out for), supports this organization. Since you seem to think this museum is so damn important...

There are plenty of museums in NYC that are free. All of them actually...but they receive funding. This one doesn't.

Like I said before, everyone likes charity, except when they are the ones that need to be charitable.

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Nice, Cathy I want a date in NYC too Tongue. Haha just kidding...too expensive Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
24-01-2014, 06:21 PM
(24-01-2014 05:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nice, Cathy I want a date in NYC too Tongue. Haha just kidding...too expensive Weeping

Better not. I'll probably fall in love with you since every girl seems to. Cool

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-01-2014, 06:28 PM
(24-01-2014 06:21 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 05:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nice, Cathy I want a date in NYC too Tongue. Haha just kidding...too expensive Weeping
Better not. I'll probably fall in love with you since every girl seems to. Cool
Haha, only the good ones Thumbsup. Even so, falling in love for a day -- wouldn't be so bad Tongue. Laugh out load

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.