You are surprised that you are charged admission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: You are surprised that you are charged admission?
the tour guides at auschwitz dont work for free

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 08:05 PM
(24-01-2014 06:28 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 06:21 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Better not. I'll probably fall in love with you since every girl seems to. Cool
Haha, only the good ones Thumbsup. Even so, falling in love for a day -- wouldn't be so bad Tongue. Laugh out load

Except that you thought I was 70 years old!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-01-2014, 08:55 PM
(24-01-2014 05:10 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 03:26 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was planning on seeing NYC on my next road trip... But thats a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. Still, a hotel is probably necessary. The empire state and statue of libery are both symbols of human progress and ingenuity. The top of the rock might let you see the city, and may or may not be of interest after hittin the empire state building. I can certainly do without the $43 skating.

The 911 museum MIGHT be interesting, if it weren't $24 to see what remains of a major step backward for human kind... mangled rubble from an attack that involved two things you see every day (planes and buildings), and the resulting artwork from people who either lost loved ones, or felt compelled by the events of 9/11... Its a new building, in rememberance of other buildings and death. Its fractionally as sad as a war museum without any of the interesting technology or ingenuity. But hey, its been proven that people think things are worth more when they cost more.

Before you go to NYC, send me a PM. I might be able to meet you for coffee or something! If not, I can at least give you the inside scoop on where to eat depending on what types of foods you like.

Thanks. Will do. It will be in the summer though, and on the last leg of my 3 week road trip out to Cali and back. So it may be cut from the trip if I can't fit it in.
24-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Honestly I'd probably not visit it. Lots of other things I'd rather see.

It was a sad day for our country, but I'm not that fussed to go.
24-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Fed already put up $300 mil in help. Foundation estimates annual operating costs at $60 mil and wants the fed to put up a third of that. NPS responds $20 mil/year is more than 99% of all other parks combined. Operating the 2 massive fountains is estimated to cost $4-5 mil. I'm gonna catch a bus from Chinatown D.C. to NY for $40 and back just to see those fountains. There's peering into the abyss metaphorically and then there's literally. And that part is free. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
24-01-2014, 11:48 PM
(24-01-2014 08:05 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Except that you thought I was 70 years old!
And you hold that against me? Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-01-2014, 12:18 AM
All seems a little perverse to me, its worshipping tragedy and suffering not honouring the lives of the lost, why isn't a memorial enough to pay respects to the families.
If we build a museum every time a few thousand people die, the world will be wall to wall museums.
Also it cements the al-Qaeda attack as a success story, rather than some real-estate damage and the equivalent deaths of 4 months worth of murders in the USA.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-01-2014, 12:31 AM
(25-01-2014 12:18 AM)sporehux Wrote:  All seems a little perverse to me, its worshipping tragedy and suffering not honouring the lives of the lost, why isn't a memorial enough to pay respects to the families.
If we build a museum every time a few thousand people die, the world will be wall to wall museums.
Also it cements the al-Qaeda attack as a success story, rather than some real-estate damage and the equivalent deaths of 4 months worth of murders in the USA.

I think that the ongoing conflicts in the middle east that the united states armed forces is currently engaged in is what cements the "success story". It's a war of attrition, seeing how much money, time and human life has been spent with an unattainable goal of 'winning' the 'war on terror'.

I also don't look at the museum as something for the people who witnessed the attacks and lived through it. It's for a generation of people who were born after that event happened to show part of our shared history.