You are two

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2016, 02:19 AM
RE: You are two
(12-06-2016 01:43 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 05:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That strikes me as wrong. If we could function at 100% capacity (all motor functions, same intelligence, memory capacity, etc.) with half a brain, evolution would have already favored those who could accomplish the same work with half the calorie cost.

In short, we (as a species) would already have just half a brain.

Not really no, but the fact of the matter is that it does and we don't fully understand why, other than it just does because there are people who have had half their brain removed and after some therapy, they have recovered to basically completely normal.

Once again, that doesn't make sense. Something is being lost, or else why have such a large brain? Our brains are so large because we got some advantage from them, and that has come at a cost; just look at the female pelvis and the problems that arise in childbirth. We've paid an evolutionary cost for our larger brains, so to say that removing half of it loses you nothing seems absurd. The brain is the most resource intensive organ we have. Our distant extinct cousins, homo neanderthalensis, had larger brains than we do, and it is speculated that the higher maintenance cost of such a large brain (which required more calories) is one of the factors that drove them to extinction. Whenever food got scare in the last ice age, we homo sapiens with our smaller and less resource intensive brains, out competed the neanderthals for the same limited resources. We didn't require as many calories to maintain ourselves, and part of that was due to our proportionally smaller brains.

Once again, if we could operate at the same capacity we do now with half a brain, we already would. There would be no selection pressure that would have favored larger and larger brains, unless that granted us an advantage in survival. If we were just as fit for survival with half a brain, selection pressures would have favored those with just enough brain power and not those who spent excessive resources on a larger brain that gave no discernible advantage.

Basically, if you are right, then natural selection in wrong.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2016, 09:14 AM
(10-06-2016 02:40 PM)KUSA Wrote:  [Image: 345508761c70410e8275a8fb33e53149.jpg]

The headline: Stroke patient suffers involuntary masturbation.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-06-2016, 11:19 AM
(07-06-2016 09:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I want to see what 6 hemispheres look like.

Search an image with 3 brains. Wink

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
13-06-2016, 11:32 AM
(12-06-2016 01:43 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 05:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That strikes me as wrong. If we could function at 100% capacity (all motor functions, same intelligence, memory capacity, etc.) with half a brain, evolution would have already favored those who could accomplish the same work with half the calorie cost.

In short, we (as a species) would already have just half a brain.

Not really no, but the fact of the matter is that it does and we don't fully understand why, other than it just does because there are people who have had half their brain removed and after some therapy, they have recovered to basically completely normal.

Chop off one arm, or one leg or a dick and people would act differently too.

You are two
I am not
You are too.
No, mommy tell him I am not!
Oh yes you are two!.