You as A Child.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 09:00 PM
You as A Child.
If you can recollect things about your past that you previously didn't understand but now you do please feel free to share them here.

When I was in first grade or so I was first exposed to how Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the earth using nothing but sticks and stones. Needless to say I was baffled. I don't know exactly when or how I was first presented his mathematical concept but I do know that I was young, and that I was still in grade school.

All I can really recall was about a man who lived roughly 2,000 years ago being able to measure the earth using sticks and stones. I think what may have inspired my teacher might have been Carl Sagan's cosmos. Although I'd have to say that Carl Sagan did a much better job of explain it. That or I was fucking retarded as a child. Especially if I was in first grade which I might have been. You can not expect a first grader to understand anything beyond simple additions in math! Or rather I know at the time that was all I was taught.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: You as A Child.
I really don't recall anything like that -- my questions revolved around things I still have no answers from.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

14-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't know where to begin... but perhaps one day I'll write a book about them.

But then, I'm not famous so no one will want to buy the book. But... maybe if I put out a sex tape ahead of time I can gain infamy and then everyone will want to read every inane, incomprehensible epiphany that flutters through the cobwebs in my empty, vapid skull.

Oh wait... I already put out the sex tape. Does anyone recognize me yet?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
14-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Or in reverse...

for an example of what, as a child, I thought I understood but now realise I do not...

Women!

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
15-01-2013, 12:53 AM
(14-01-2013 11:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Or in reverse...

for an example of what, as a child, I thought I understood but now realise I do not...

Women!

Here's a hint, pulling hair and pushing them doesn't work. Unless of course they're into that.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Re: You as A Child.
Angel
15-01-2013, 02:14 AM
When I was a child a door to door encyclopaedia salesman came to our house and was boasting about the things I could learn from it. He then challenged me to ask any question I was curious about and he would look it up for me. I asked him where boogers came from. He tried to explain, but couldn't find it in his encyclopaedia set. My parents bought E-F anyway. Big Grin

I understand the process much better now.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
15-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Nearly everything Smile
Here's what I learnt on the process of photosynthesis as I progress in school.

Pre-School: Plants need water and sunlight to make food and oxygen!
Pri-Education: Plants need CO2, water and sunlight to make food and oxygen!
Sec-Education: Plants need CO2, H2O and sunlight to make glucose and oxygen via photosynthesis! Chlorophyll is involved! Also here's an equation that sums it all!
Tert-Education: Plants need CO2, H2O and sunlight to make glucose and oxygen via photosynthesis! Here's how: The light harvesting stage of photosynthesis is the stage where energy from light is transferred from one chlorophyll molecule to the other via resonance energy transfer. Oxygen is produced via the photolysis of water to replenish the electron gap in P680 in Photosystem II. CO2 is involved in the Calvin cycle whereby it combines with RuBP with the help of RuBisCo to form a 6 carbon intermediate and subsequently 3-PGA. After a series of steps and a few cycles you get glucose! Oh, and there's lots of other things like NADPH and ATP formation which involves a whole other set of enzymes. There's also photorespiration, C4 cycle and the CAM pathway where the Calvin cycle is somehow involved.

And that's just one of the many examples Big Grin The best thing of it all is that there is still A LOT more to learn!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
15-01-2013, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 01:37 PM by Misanthropik.)
When I was a child, I used to think that the "END ROAD WORK" signs posted around construction sites were put there by Nature activist groups protesting the environmental harm caused by excessive road work.

I now understand differently.

(amidoinitrite?)

Edit: Seriously though; I used to watch my dad work out and read his bodybuilding books. I didn't understand the science of building muscle, so I thought that one could simply lift heavy weights and get bigger as a result. What's more, I thought that any muscle gained from heavy lifting was permanent. As for the whole protein thing; I wasn't sure how it all fit in to the whole scheme.

I now understand that the act of lifting heavy weight causes microtears in the muscle fibers. When this has occured, there must be a significant intake of protein, which serves to rebuild those tears. Much like dermal scarring, the muscle tissue grows back thicker and harder than it was before to accomodate any future strain. Repeating this process of damage/rebuild - while gradually increasing the weight used - will cause the muscle to grow larger and stronger to support the increasing workload. This muscular gain will only last as long as needed, however. The body adapts to the increased workload being placed on it on a regular basis, but if that worlkload decreases, over time, the body will adapt once more - causing muscular atrophy until the individual's muscle definition returns to what it was in the begining. Your muscles only grow as big and strong as is needed for your particular lifestyle.

I also understand that bicep curls, bench-presses and sit-ups (the typical beginer's package) are not enough for an overall toned/muscular physique. A good rule of thumb is "For every push, there must be a pull". Our bodies are such that for every push (bench-presses) there is a pull (rows) to even things out. I've seen more than a few 18-year-olds walk into the gym asking "I'm doing a bunch of curls and sit-ups, but I'm still skinny as fuck - what the hell?". They, like I used to, think that bodybuilding is just a few quick moves and suddenly you're ripped. There is actually much more to it than that.

These understandings have changed my life for the better in every way.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
15-01-2013, 01:32 PM
(15-01-2013 02:14 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  When I was a child a door to door encyclopaedia salesman came to our house and was boasting about the things I could learn from it. He then challenged me to ask any question I was curious about and he would look it up for me. I asked him where boogers came from. He tried to explain, but couldn't find it in his encyclopaedia set. My parents bought E-F anyway. Big Grin

I understand the process much better now.

Ah, boogers; one of life's mysteries. Boogers often stump the best of scholars. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post