You as A Child.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: You as A Child.
(14-01-2013 09:00 PM)Nappa Wrote:  If you can recollect things about your past that you previously didn't understand but now you do please feel free to share them here.

When I was in first grade or so I was first exposed to how Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the earth using nothing but sticks and stones. Needless to say I was baffled. I don't know exactly when or how I was first presented his mathematical concept but I do know that I was young, and that I was still in grade school.

All I can really recall was about a man who lived roughly 2,000 years ago being able to measure the earth using sticks and stones. I think what may have inspired my teacher might have been Carl Sagan's cosmos. Although I'd have to say that Carl Sagan did a much better job of explain it. That or I was fucking retarded as a child. Especially if I was in first grade which I might have been. You can not expect a first grader to understand anything beyond simple additions in math! Or rather I know at the time that was all I was taught.

I understand where you are coming from on this one. It took me a long time to understand. The thing that helped me was wrapping my mind around someone was able to do it without technology and with religion fighting everything scientific. Once I just accepted that someone did it, I was able to understand how.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 07:49 PM
(17-01-2013 12:08 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 09:00 PM)Nappa Wrote:  If you can recollect things about your past that you previously didn't understand but now you do please feel free to share them here.

When I was in first grade or so I was first exposed to how Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the earth using nothing but sticks and stones. Needless to say I was baffled. I don't know exactly when or how I was first presented his mathematical concept but I do know that I was young, and that I was still in grade school.

All I can really recall was about a man who lived roughly 2,000 years ago being able to measure the earth using sticks and stones. I think what may have inspired my teacher might have been Carl Sagan's cosmos. Although I'd have to say that Carl Sagan did a much better job of explain it. That or I was fucking retarded as a child. Especially if I was in first grade which I might have been. You can not expect a first grader to understand anything beyond simple additions in math! Or rather I know at the time that was all I was taught.

I understand where you are coming from on this one. It took me a long time to understand. The thing that helped me was wrapping my mind around someone was able to do it without technology and with religion fighting everything scientific. Once I just accepted that someone did it, I was able to understand how.
I blame the lack of knowledge in mathematics I had at the time. A person who is just starting to grasp the concept of addition and subtraction can not be expected to understand algebra/geometry
05-02-2013, 12:16 AM
I've just remembered about the time when I first heard about Varus and his legions. When I was first told this I thought that it had originally happened somewhere in the western region of scythia. Of course back then I don't think I had a proper idea of where exactly Germany was.