You atheists enjoy citing anti-religious quotes from the founding fathers...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
13-05-2013, 06:23 AM
RE: You atheists enjoy citing anti-religious quotes from the founding fathers...
Could we get an update in here, please?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ers-Banned

Thanks.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-05-2013, 07:50 AM
RE: You atheists enjoy citing anti-religious quotes from the founding fathers...
I concur, I demand that thread sees updates!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
14-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Re: You atheists enjoy citing anti-religious quotes from the founding fathers...
What does that or "us atheists" have to do with anything relevant...

John Adams was a legitimately devout man and a great founding father with quotes in support of secularism. I don't see anything being misconstrued by being aware of intended ideas.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-05-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 06:02 PM by fstratzero.)
(14-05-2013 05:16 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What does that or "us atheists" have to do with anything relevant...

John Adams was a legitimately devout man and a great founding father with quotes in support of secularism. I don't see anything being misconstrued by being aware of intended ideas.

I'll clean up the confusion here for everybody.

It's really simple. The history of the United States shows that many left Europe due to religious persecution. The religious supporters of the separation of church and stated, did not want any religion, or sect thereof, to take power and persecute others. Thus the right for everyman to view god in his own way, worship as he see's fit, etc was preserved.

Other influences came from John Lock, and Thomas Hobbes. After the wars of religion in Europe, many came not only to question the Catholics, and sects of protestants, but came to also question whether or not god actually governed over the world. The common idea was that religion would hold nations together had torn them apart.

From that Thomas Hobbes wrote Leviathan, postulating that humans came from nature and have a natural law that governs them.

John Locke read Leviathan and many other books on philosophy and compiled many works that were borrowed by the American Revolutionaries to found a nation upon.

During the 18th century, the ideas of Locke and Bayle, in particular the separation of Church and State, became more common, promoted by the philosophers of the Age of Enlightenment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_...ightenment

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
14-05-2013, 05:59 PM
As earmuffs said, that was then this is now. The founding fathers allowed slavery and didn't let anyone vote who was not a white male landowner. They had some great ideas, but some which we in time realized were not right. Whether they believed in god or not, I do not, and I have the right not to. It's that simple.

Godless in the Magnolia State
14-05-2013, 06:07 PM
(14-05-2013 05:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 05:16 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What does that or "us atheists" have to do with anything relevant...

I'll clean up the confusion here for everybody.

It's really simple. The history of the United States shows that many left Europe due to religious persecution. The religious supporters of the separation of church and stated, did not want any religion, or sect thereof, to take power and persecute others. Thus the right for everyman to view god in his own way, worship as he see's fit, etc was preserved.

Other influences came from John Lock, and Thomas Hobbes. After the wars of religion in Europe, many came not only to question the Catholics, and sects of protestants, but came to also question whether or not god actually governed over the world. The common idea was that religion would hold nations together had torn them apart.

From that Thomas Hobbes wrote Leviathan, postulating that humans came from nature and have a natural law that governs them.

John Locke read Leviathan and many other books on philosophy and compiled many works that were borrowed by the American Revolutionaries to found a nation upon.

During the 18th century, the ideas of Locke and Bayle, in particular the separation of Church and State, became more common, promoted by the philosophers of the Age of Enlightenment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_...ightenment

For the "I have no time crowd."

Christians supported the separation of church and state.

Because if you gave one religious group power it had the power to make another religious group illegal. This separation prevents infighting. *google wars of religion*

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post