You can be the better/stronger person without atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: You can be the better/stronger person without atheism
(13-10-2014 01:18 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 12:53 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  Now before I say anything here, go ahead and respond to my previous post I just made here as it shows scientific evidence of what I'm saying here in this topic. Also, it doesn't matter whether your happiness is obtained from fantasy or reality. Happiness is still happiness. For that very reason, as long as you are more happy with a religious belief than being an atheist, then you are better off with this religious belief.

To quote George Bernard Shaw.
“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”
First off, as I've been explaining, some people (such as me) are not a danger to themselves and/or others through their religious beliefs. As for the happiness being cheap, happiness is still happiness. Happiness is the activity of the pleasure center of the brain regardless of what thoughts/delusions are the source of it. No thought/delusion can make your happiness "cheap" or of "lower quality." I guess you could say that it would be cheap just in the sense that it is easily obtained. But that doesn't make this form of happiness inferior. The only way happiness can be considered inferior or of lower quality is if you were to have less happiness in life as opposed to having greater happiness through something else in life. So atheists who found some happiness through their atheism would have lower quality inferior happiness only providing that a religious belief would offer them greater happiness in life. As for happiness from religious belief not being a necessity in life, this would be false. There are people such as me who absolutely need happiness/comfort through a religious belief due to my worthless life here on Earth since I have no pleasure and also that I will forever be the type of person to reject atheism who instead prefers fantasy and a God with an afterlife of eternal joy with no suffering.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Dude, seriously, nobody gives a flying fuck about your predicament. You know why? Because you give no reasons for us to care. You don't want our help, you don't want us to dissuade you from your standpoints, you produce ploddingly monotonous monologues that aren't designed to capture a reader's attention, and you don't know how to talk about anything else. Yet you continue to regurgitate the same bullshit over and over again like we're supposed to care about you. What do you want us to do? Collectively pat you on the head for being some poor lost soul who's obsession with the fantastical but commitment to logical principles leaves him with an anhedonia afflicting his ability to cope with daily life?

You've made it clear you don't want any help, you've made it clear you can't be helped. All you're doing is broadcasting while setting the record to repeat. I won't tell you to grow up, I won't tell you to change your beliefs, but I will tell you to get your worthless ass off this board if you have no intention of following our rules or engaging with the community in any meaningful way.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
13-10-2014, 02:13 PM
(13-10-2014 01:59 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Dude, seriously, nobody gives a flying fuck about your predicament. You know why? Because you give no reasons for us to care. You don't want our help, you don't want us to dissuade you from your standpoints, you produce ploddingly monotonous monologues that aren't designed to capture a reader's attention, and you don't know how to talk about anything else. Yet you continue to regurgitate the same bullshit over and over again like we're supposed to care about you. What do you want us to do? Collectively pat you on the head for being some poor lost soul who's obsession with the fantastical but commitment to logical principles leaves him with an anhedonia afflicting his ability to cope with daily life?

You've made it clear you don't want any help, you've made it clear you can't be helped. All you're doing is broadcasting while setting the record to repeat. I won't tell you to grow up, I won't tell you to change your beliefs, but I will tell you to get your worthless ass off this board if you have no intention of following our rules or engaging with the community in any meaningful way.
I'm just here to let people know and try to convince them that as long as their atheism makes them less happy in life as opposed to having a religious belief, then they are truly missing out on life. You might be thinking that if some atheists are unable to choose to have religious beliefs and that they will likely to be atheists their entire lives and that, because of this, what I'm saying here about religion making you more happy and having the greater benefit in life does not matter, this would be false. It does matter and I just want to let you know that you are truly missing out on something that you will likely never be able to obtain in life. There is scientific evidence of this. Here, I will point it out to you from a previous reply I made in this topic:

MattMVS7 Wrote:Now here's a very important thing I'm about to say here which is that there is actually scientific evidence to support what I'm saying in this topic. Now some scientific studies show that people who are atheists and/or went through trauma and depression become more compassionate and caring and become better leaders and such that living a nice happy religious life could never achieve. That they can achieve more great things in life and help more people through their atheism and/or suffering and despair. Although this might hold true for some people, this does not hold true for everyone and is not a proven scientific fact. There are many other scientific studies indicating the opposite and I have every reason to instead believe these scientific studies. These scientific studies show that you can be more happy and do more great things in life as well as help even more people through living a nice happy life with a religious belief. Therefore, I have every reason to instead believe that you can be the better compassionate person and better in other ways as well under the right circumstances through living a nice happy religious life. For example, anyone can be a better compassionate person by changing his/her attitude as well as through other things in life. Another example would be that you can be the more intelligent person and help others suffering through your intelligence by reading and studying up on things. In other words, you do not have to be an atheist and/or suffer in order to be a better/smarter/more creative person with a more worthwhile life. Also, this is something many mental health professionals are unaware of. They think that it is best to face reality. But many of these mental health professionals are unaware of these scientific studies that show you can be the better person and achieve more great things in life through a religious belief. However, there are very few mental health professionals who are aware of these scientific studies.
13-10-2014, 02:21 PM
(13-10-2014 02:13 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I'm just here to let people know and try to convince them that as long as their atheism makes them less happy in life as opposed to having a religious belief, then they are truly missing out on life.

Do you know what makes me less happy?

You being a stupid cunt.

So fix that, for my happiness, if you really care so much.

You stupid cunt...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Just curious, but Matt, what is the purpose of this discussion when you can't "choose" to be a theist (i.e., you can't just flip a switch and say, "you know what! What was I thinking? There IS a god!") It's like turning 30 and then saying that you (and many others) were so much happier in your twenties.

It's like...so what? Figure out a way to be happy. You can't go back in time. If you are sad with your life then make a change, or go seek professional help.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
13-10-2014, 02:50 PM
There is probably a guy out there who believes he is literally Benjamin Franklin and has conversations with many of the founding fathers on a day to day basis. I'm sure he walks around with a smile on his face.

I'm willing to bet he's happier than you Matt.
I know he's happier than me, but my happiness is based on truth. Playing with my grandson puts a smile on my face like no other. Taking pictures of unique insects that I've never seen before is fascinating. Falling in love, that first, middle and last kiss of the night, along with a hundred more truthful moments make my life one worth remembering.

His life only exists in his mind. The two of you have that in common.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-10-2014, 02:50 PM
(13-10-2014 02:13 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  ...if some atheists are unable to choose to have religious beliefs...

This is where you're just not getting it. Most people (atheist or otherwise) do not and cannot "choose" their beliefs. We believe what we have good reason to believe, and "believing X would make me happy" is not what I mean by good reason. You may have some magic ability to make yourself believe something that you know isn't true, but most people don't. And most people are not as obsessed with "happiness" as you. I would like to be happy, but truth is a higher priority. Even if I could choose my beliefs, I would choose to believe what's true over what makes me happy.
13-10-2014, 04:13 PM
(13-10-2014 11:20 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 10:06 AM)dirtstar Wrote:  MATTMVS7-

I read most of what you wrote but as you're no doubt aware of at this point it was way too much information to seriously digest. Have you read Carl Sagan's "The Cosmos"? Don't watch the tv series... read the book. I do have to warn you that it's a bit outdated but if you've read the Bible or any other ancient texts claiming type truths you'll find The Cosmos is a bit more recent to our understanding of the cosmos (everything). Plus it helps when the lesson is packaged by an excellent orator and visionary like Sagan. It seems to me you just need more information than what you've afforded yourself. That's all.

So I'm prescribing this because you seem like someone who has collected a lot of thoughts on the subject of happiness but still somehow you have justified that truth isn't all that important. Truth is important and it's all that will ever matter. In many ways truth is happiness. Think about the child that does not know his or her father. Think about being told what he was all about in a negative light or assuming you are not wanted. Think about how everything is impacted by this one potentially false perception without confirmation and how it will impact one's perception of everything going forward. Hiding yourself from the truth is the worst thing you can ever do. It's a slippery slope to an insane way of rejecting reality and this will no doubt have a negative impact on things. It's better to concentrate on the positives of what comes from truth. In my analogy even if you discover what they said about your father is true at least now you can confirm what was said and apply the truth then decide how to perceive it. Remember though, without unfortunate things fortunate things tend to not exist. Ying yang. Understanding that without bad there is no true barometer for good will help you understand the mechanisms for perception and how in the end YOU are the one deciding how it will impact you. When I read The Cosmos I remember feeling connected to everything for the first time. As a result my perceptions of things changed too and this of course changed everything. I hope that it does the same for you.
Again, even if knowing the truth of atheism does have a major benefit in making you happy and other things, you can achieve this benefit just as good as (and even better) through living a nice happy delusional life. You can achieve a greater amount of happiness and other things through living a nice happy delusional life under the right circumstances.

Delusion - an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

By definition the word delusion may not be the word you're looking for. By definition no one outside of someone struggling with a mental disorder could accept irrationality as happiness. Sometimes you have to accept the truth and find the positives because they are there instead of trying to make a delusional life a comfortable one.
13-10-2014, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 07:28 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
Fantastic. I'm getting him sending his tripe to my inbox now not just in his mindless threads.

Quote:Now some scientific studies show that people who are atheists and/or went through trauma and depression become more compassionate and caring and become better leaders and such that living a nice happy religious life could never achieve. That they can achieve more great things in life and help more people through their atheism and/or suffering and despair. Although this might hold true for some people, this does not hold true for everyone and is not a proven scientific fact. There are many other scientific studies indicating the opposite and I have every reason to instead believe these scientific studies. These scientific studies show that you can be more happy and do more great things in life as well as help even more people through living a nice happy life with a religious belief. Therefore, I have every reason to instead believe that you can be the better compassionate person and better in other ways as well under the right circumstances through living a nice happy religious life. For example, anyone can be a better compassionate person by changing his/her attitude as well as through other things in life. Another example would be that you can be the more intelligent person and help others suffering through your intelligence by reading and studying up on things. In other words, you do not have to be an atheist and/or suffer in order to be a better/smarter/more creative person with a more worthwhile life. Also, this is something many mental health professionals are unaware of. They think that it is best to face reality. But many of these mental health professionals are unaware of these scientific studies that show you can be the better person and achieve more great things in life through a religious belief. However, there are very few mental health professionals who are aware of these scientific studies.

I noticed you did not link to these studies and I was not surprised by that in the least, given that you are making shit up. Tell me does being an idiot make you happy, or is it just the stuff you make up 'cause your a little cowardly bitch that makes you happy?

Get uppercunted by a polar bear you intellectually vacant moron.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
13-10-2014, 07:23 PM
(13-10-2014 07:20 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fantastic. I'm getting him sending his tripe to my inbox now not just in his mindless threads.

Quote:Now some scientific studies show that people who are atheists and/or went through trauma and depression become more compassionate and caring and become better leaders and such that living a nice happy religious life could never achieve. That they can achieve more great things in life and help more people through their atheism and/or suffering and despair. Although this might hold true for some people, this does not hold true for everyone and is not a proven scientific fact. There are many other scientific studies indicating the opposite and I have every reason to instead believe these scientific studies. These scientific studies show that you can be more happy and do more great things in life as well as help even more people through living a nice happy life with a religious belief. Therefore, I have every reason to instead believe that you can be the better compassionate person and better in other ways as well under the right circumstances through living a nice happy religious life. For example, anyone can be a better compassionate person by changing his/her attitude as well as through other things in life. Another example would be that you can be the more intelligent person and help others suffering through your intelligence by reading and studying up on things. In other words, you do not have to be an atheist and/or suffer in order to be a better/smarter/more creative person with a more worthwhile life. Also, this is something many mental health professionals are unaware of. They think that it is best to face reality. But many of these mental health professionals are unaware of these scientific studies that show you can be the better person and achieve more great things in life through a religious belief. However, there are very few mental health professionals who are aware of these scientific studies.

Put him on ignore and he wont be able to spam your inbox.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense