You can be the better/stronger person without atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: You can be the better/stronger person without atheism
(16-10-2014 01:51 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I just need to know right here and now.

Well, bless your little heart.

Quote:What is it that makes people more prone to depression through having a religious belief and why is it that the stronger their belief, the more prone to depression they are?

Have you considered that the point may be that religion doesn't help people cope with depression as well as secular beliefs do? If you are really interested maybe you should try reading the study.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(16-10-2014 01:51 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 12:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck you, Bitch!

I just need to know right here and now. What is it that makes people more prone to depression through having a religious belief and why is it that the stronger their belief, the more prone to depression they are?

I don't think anyone actually made that claim. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 02:08 PM
(16-10-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 01:51 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I just need to know right here and now. What is it that makes people more prone to depression through having a religious belief and why is it that the stronger their belief, the more prone to depression they are?

I don't think anyone actually made that claim. Consider

WhiskeyDebates and the scientific study he presented both made this claim a while back here in this topic. I will show you what he said:

(14-10-2014 12:51 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 12:19 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  All of this "nonsense" I am presenting in this topic will eventually become sense to you all. I am desperate to make you see truth from a different angle (one of hedonism that makes happiness a priority over facing and knowing the facts of life and instead living in your own delusional fantasy world with a religious belief). The only thing that is really missing here in order to convince you all is those scientific studies I am unable to find. Now I know that some of you atheists here are on the search for truth in this life, so why not try and find the truth that these scientific studies state in that you really can be better off and more happy with a religious belief? Maybe perhaps an intelligent scientist here or someone else who has knowledge of these scientific studies can present them here in my topic.
Oh oh oh! Pick me! Pick me! I did your work for you and guess what...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23360581

Quote: However, the findings varied significantly across countries, with the difference being significant only in the U.K., where spiritual participants were nearly three times more likely to experience an episode of depression than the secular group
Quote:The strength of belief also had an effect, with participants with strong belief having twice the risk of participants with weak belief.
Quote:There was no evidence of religion acting as a buffer to prevent depression after a serious life event.
Quote: Of participants reporting a spiritual understanding of life at baseline, 10.5% had an episode of depression in the following year compared to 10.3% of religious participants and 7.0% of the secular group

....you're fucking wrooooong. It actually makes it WORSE not better. There a scientific study! Who would have thought that your "common sense" approach to mental health of "make shit up lalala" and lying out your ass would not be correct?
Everyone. Literally everyone except you figured that out.

Now is where I'd tell you to fuck off but we all know you are not going to, you will just lie some more and continue on with your trolling. I've seen better people than you in a condom.Drinking Beverage
16-10-2014, 02:16 PM
(16-10-2014 02:08 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think anyone actually made that claim. Consider

WhiskeyDebates and the scientific study he presented both made this claim a while back here in this topic. I will show you what he said:

(14-10-2014 12:51 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Oh oh oh! Pick me! Pick me! I did your work for you and guess what...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23360581

....you're fucking wrooooong. It actually makes it WORSE not better. There a scientific study! Who would have thought that your "common sense" approach to mental health of "make shit up lalala" and lying out your ass would not be correct?
Everyone. Literally everyone except you figured that out.

Now is where I'd tell you to fuck off but we all know you are not going to, you will just lie some more and continue on with your trolling. I've seen better people than you in a condom.Drinking Beverage

OK, I missed that. He actually cited and quoted a scientific study, so his argument is supported.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-10-2014, 02:23 PM
(16-10-2014 01:51 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 12:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck you, Bitch!

I just need to know right here and now. What is it that makes people more prone to depression through having a religious belief and why is it that the stronger their belief, the more prone to depression they are?

Fuck you, Bitch!

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
16-10-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 04:08 PM by MattMVS7.)
(16-10-2014 05:56 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Even if you are not knowingly lying all the time it's next to impossible for anyone else, myself included, to tell if what you are saying is accurate or a part of your delusions.

Just curious. Now I know you don't believe me, but let's pretend that you somehow knew what I'm saying based on my own personal experience was true, what would you think then?

Also, I'm sure you are aware of atheists on this forum who have become more depressed knowing that there is no God and an afterlife (the depression about the inevitability of their death and not going to heaven in the end). Therefore, why wouldn't there be people who are more happy/less depressed believing that there is a God and an afterlife?
16-10-2014, 03:59 PM
(16-10-2014 01:51 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I just need to know right here and now. What is it that makes people more prone to depression through having a religious belief and why is it that the stronger their belief, the more prone to depression they are?

Because... WHEN PEOPLE LET THEMSELVES BE CONTROLLED BY SOMETHING OUTSIDE THEIR SELF, THEY OFTEN FEEL OUT OF CONTROL. LOSS OF CONTROL CAN AND OFTEN DOES, LEAD TO DEPRESSION.

There.
Happy? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Just watched a couple give thanks in prayer before their meal. I couldn't help but giggle as they thanked absolutely nobody that had anything to do with providing them that meal.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
16-10-2014, 07:24 PM
(16-10-2014 03:55 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 05:56 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Even if you are not knowingly lying all the time it's next to impossible for anyone else, myself included, to tell if what you are saying is accurate or a part of your delusions.

Just curious. Now I know you don't believe me, but let's pretend that you somehow knew what I'm saying based on my own personal experience was true, what would you think then?

Also, I'm sure you are aware of atheists on this forum who have become more depressed knowing that there is no God and an afterlife (the depression about the inevitability of their death and not going to heaven in the end). Therefore, why wouldn't there be people who are more happy/less depressed believing that there is a God and an afterlife?

Fuck you, Bitch!

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
16-10-2014, 07:34 PM
(12-10-2014 08:53 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 08:47 PM)Nurse Wrote:  And there are some theists that convert to atheism. I'm one of them. I'm a fuck ton happier. And I'm a better, stronger person. I don't have to worry about my conscious regarding bigotry interfering with outdated biblical doctrine.
Well then, good for you! Your atheism is more beneficial to you than if you had a religious belief. But I am here for the atheists on the forum who would benefit more and be more happy in life having a religious belief instead.

In Zeus, and his son, Hercules? Consider