You can be the better/stronger person without atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2014, 12:55 AM
RE: You can be the better/stronger person without atheism
(16-10-2014 09:45 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  Let me put it this way for you:

Blah, blah, yadda, yadda.
Let me put it in an even simpler way:

you're a whiny, self-centered, obnoxious little bitch with a strong sociopathic trait and a huge, completely unjustified sense of superiority and entitlement. I blame your parents for not kicking your ass enough.

Grow up, kid. Or better yet, disappear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DunkleSeele's post
17-10-2014, 01:02 AM
(17-10-2014 12:55 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 09:45 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  Let me put it this way for you:

Blah, blah, yadda, yadda.
Let me put it in an even simpler way:

you're a whiny, self-centered, obnoxious little bitch with a strong sociopathic trait and a huge, completely unjustified sense of superiority and entitlement. I blame your parents for not kicking your ass enough.

Grow up, kid. Or better yet, disappear.

So to say that my happiness matters just as much as others is self-centered? That doesn't make any sense. If I was self-centered, I would view my own happiness as being more important. That post I made was well plausible.
17-10-2014, 01:05 AM
(16-10-2014 11:48 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  You heard it hear first folks, self sacrificing people who put others first are not even human beings and live worthless lives.

lol what a fucking idiot.

I'm not sure if you read my previous post I just made, but I will state a simple message from that post which would be that to somehow value the happiness of others above yours and sacrifice all your happiness just so they can gain a little bit or some happiness holds no logic since, again, your happiness has just as much value as others. The same rule would apply if you valued your happiness above others. Also, it's not just me who says that your life would be worthless and that you would be an inferior human being if you did not have pleasure. Hedonism also says the same things.

No one is arguing for the position you are attacking. You are chasing your own tail.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-10-2014, 01:12 AM
(17-10-2014 01:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:48 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I'm not sure if you read my previous post I just made, but I will state a simple message from that post which would be that to somehow value the happiness of others above yours and sacrifice all your happiness just so they can gain a little bit or some happiness holds no logic since, again, your happiness has just as much value as others. The same rule would apply if you valued your happiness above others. Also, it's not just me who says that your life would be worthless and that you would be an inferior human being if you did not have pleasure. Hedonism also says the same things.

No one is arguing for the position you are attacking. You are chasing your own tail.
I'm done pointing out even obvious stuff like that let alone more complex stuff. The little kid is just too stupid to get even the basic stuff, I've wasted enough key strokes talking to him. Personally I think the fact that he is still here is embarrassing to everyone with the power to stop his trolling, sock puppeting, spam.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
17-10-2014, 01:54 AM
(17-10-2014 01:12 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 01:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  No one is arguing for the position you are attacking. You are chasing your own tail.
I'm done pointing out even obvious stuff like that let alone more complex stuff. The little kid is just too stupid to get even the basic stuff, I've wasted enough key strokes talking to him. Personally I think the fact that he is still here is embarrassing to everyone with the power to stop his trolling, sock puppeting, spam.
Exactly this. This troll should have been banned long ago already. I thought there was a rule against sockpuppeting.
[+] 2 users Like DunkleSeele's post
17-10-2014, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2014 01:28 PM by MattMVS7.)
From a scientific point of view, losing a part of your conscious would make you the lesser person (since your conscious is what makes you "you"). Now one might say that you would still have full human value even if you were to lose a part of your conscious. But if you were to be completely dead right now (lose all your conscious functions), would you then still be considered a full human being? Or would you then be considered as the lesser person now? I think you would obviously be considered the lesser person. Therefore, to lose a part of your conscious is the very essence of dying without actually being dead. Therefore, you would be a lesser person if you were to lose a part of your conscious (such as if you were to lose your ability to experience pleasure due to depression or emotional numbness). It doesn't matter how much others value you, what great things you do in life, and how much you helped others. The scientific fact is that you are still the lesser person no matter what. Unless, of course, your brain fully makes up for that loss in other conscious brain areas. But it must fully make up for that loss. Otherwise, you would still be considered the lesser person.

Also, if you are going to say something such as that we are constantly changing and that, because of this, we can't compare things to other things and such, although you are right that we are all constantly changing and such, we can still compare because time itself can be split up into individual units. The smallest units of time possible are all units in which we can then make the comparisons if we develop the technology in the future that can make comparisons based on each individual unit of time. You would compare yourself to others, your former self, as well as who you would be without that loss based on each individual unit of time.

Finally, if you are going to say something such as that:

"How did you formulate this definition of consciousness? What evidence supports your position? You could argue that when people sleep they temporarily lose a part of their consciousness. Does that make them lesser beings? Of course not."

What I would have to say about that is that it would make you the lesser person in that given moment. But since the brain is, I'm sure, able to fully make up for that loss upon wakening, then when the person is awake, they would be back to being a full person. But, again, if it's a loss that the brain cannot fully make up for in other conscious brain areas for your entire life, then you would be the lesser person for your entire life.
17-10-2014, 10:51 AM
(17-10-2014 01:12 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 01:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  No one is arguing for the position you are attacking. You are chasing your own tail.

Can you say
Likes to talk to hear himself talk?

Damn

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
17-10-2014, 10:56 AM
(17-10-2014 10:48 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  From a scientific point of view, losing a part of your conscious would make you the lesser person. Now you say that you would still have full human value even if you were to lose a part of you. But if you were to be completely dead right now, would you then still be considered a full human being? Or would you then be considered as the lesser person now? I think you would obviously be considered the lesser person. Therefore, to lose a part of your conscious is the very essence of dying without actually dying. Therefore, you would be a lesser person if you were to lose a part of your conscious (in this case, pleasure). It doesn't matter how much others value you, what great things you do in life, and how much you helped others. The scientific fact is that you are still the lesser person no matter what.
[Image: img-461511-3-3oka5d.jpg]

Seriously, read it again. Rephrase it, these are just words behind frosted glass.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
17-10-2014, 11:13 AM
(17-10-2014 10:48 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  From a scientific point of view, losing a part of your conscious would make you the lesser person. Now you say that you would still have full human value even if you were to lose a part of you. But if you were to be completely dead right now, would you then still be considered a full human being? Or would you then be considered as the lesser person now? I think you would obviously be considered the lesser person. Therefore, to lose a part of your conscious is the very essence of dying without actually being dead. Therefore, you would be a lesser person if you were to lose a part of your conscious (in this case, pleasure). It doesn't matter how much others value you, what great things you do in life, and how much you helped others. The scientific fact is that you are still the lesser person no matter what.

Lesser person?
You're in a philosophy class arent you?

You must have a paper to write and decided to cut your teeth here.

Obvious troll is obvious.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-10-2014, 11:39 AM
People lose consciousness when they sleep or zone out and question when 5 oclock became 9:30, or get a spiked drink and wake up in somebody else's bed. I don't think a loss of consciousness is a good way to measure if somebody is a lesser person.

EDIT: sorry weird text issue.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."