You can be the better/stronger person without atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 06:26 AM
RE: You can be the better/stronger person without atheism
(13-10-2014 03:45 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 03:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What debate? You're seeking justification from others for your unjustified delusions.

They remain unjustified, despite your pathetic pleading.

You can have them, but they remain unjustified, and trying to justify them to us is an exercise in futility.

Stupid cunt... Facepalm
So how would I go about trying to justify them then?

Which part of "exercise in futility" did you not understand? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-10-2014, 06:27 AM
(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you want to put time and effort into trying to convince anyone of anything then you owe yourself the favour of communicating in the clearest way possible.
The thing about that is if I were to just state a paragraph or two, then it would be likely that many people will find many things to argue against what I said in those one or two paragraphs. So I would then have to counter their arguments by adding another paragraph onto my post. Then there will be even more people finding more arguments against those paragraphs. So I would then have to counter those arguments as well and add my counter argument to those paragraphs. This whole process would then continue until I have many paragraphs up to the point where everyone should be convinced and not be able to find anything else to argue against me. So you can see why my posts are always so long all the time. It is because I wish to convince everyone as much as I possibly can to the point where they can no longer argue against me (meaning that it would be likely that I would win this whole debate). If not, then at least I was as close as possible to winning.

Laughat By which you mean you failed so hard you can't even convince yourself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-10-2014, 06:29 AM
(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you want to put time and effort into trying to convince anyone of anything then you owe yourself the favour of communicating in the clearest way possible.
The thing about that is if I were to just state a paragraph or two, then it would be likely that many people will find many things to argue against what I said in those one or two paragraphs. So I would then have to counter their arguments by adding another paragraph onto my post. Then there will be even more people finding more arguments against those paragraphs. So I would then have to counter those arguments as well and add my counter argument to those paragraphs. This whole process would then continue until I have many paragraphs up to the point where everyone should be convinced and not be able to find anything else to argue against me. So you can see why my posts are always so long all the time. It is because I wish to convince everyone as much as I possibly can to the point where they can no longer argue against me (meaning that it would be likely that I would win this whole debate). If not, then at least I was as close as possible to winning.

You are not debating and you are not winning.

You are trying to convince rational people that your irrational and unjustifiable beliefs are worthwhile.
Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2014, 06:42 AM
(13-10-2014 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 02:12 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  Although I see what you mean, I am the type of person who (despite my christian belief in the past) does not solely rely on prayers and God. I am a type of person who does not use my religious belief as a means of thinking God will protect me or others. So my point still stands about religion having the much greater benefit for me as well as other people like me on this forum or out in the world.

There are no other people like you on the forum. Drinking Beverage

Unless, of course, you mean trolls and sock puppets. Dodgy
And little whiny bitches like him.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
13-10-2014, 07:35 AM
(13-10-2014 03:30 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  The only real problem I would have here then would be the idea of there being no afterlife of eternal joy of no suffering that I can look forward to despite my life here on Earth which is now worthless since I no longer have any pleasure.

Sounds like your delusion isn't actually working for you. Perhaps if you tried working WITH reality instead of denying it things would improve.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
13-10-2014, 07:55 AM
(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  The thing about that is if I were to just state a paragraph or two, then it would be likely that many people will find many things to argue against what I said in those one or two paragraphs. So I would then have to counter their arguments by adding another paragraph onto my post. Then there will be even more people finding more arguments against those paragraphs. So I would then have to counter those arguments as well and add my counter argument to those paragraphs.

You are referring to a process commonly known as a discussion.

This is a discussion forum.

(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  This whole process would then continue until I have many paragraphs up to the point where everyone should be convinced and not be able to find anything else to argue against me.

You are assuming that you are correct in each and every point. A discussion allows people to interject and refute statements as they are being made rather than let the other person continue on for too long creating an argument on a faulty premise.

(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  So you can see why my posts are always so long all the time.

I understand now. You want to bury your faulty premises and leaps of logic in walls of text so it's harder to refute your argument.

Unfortunately it's a waste of time because no one reads your posts.
13-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Hey MattMvs7 - I dont know you very well but you are clearly mentally ill. I try to stay away from people who dont even try to help the species evolve. Your sort is doomed. Have a nice day.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-10-2014, 08:41 AM
(13-10-2014 08:17 AM)kim Wrote:  Hey MattMvs7 - I dont know you very well but you are clearly mentally ill. I try to stay away from people who dont even try to help the species evolve. Your sort is doomed. Have a nice day.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Maaaan, I wish some of youse hotties lived this side of the Atlantic. We could do some evolving right here...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-10-2014, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 10:22 AM by dirtstar.)
MATTMVS7-

I read most of what you wrote but as you're no doubt aware of at this point it was way too much information to seriously digest. Have you read Carl Sagan's "The Cosmos"? Don't watch the tv series... read the book. I do have to warn you that it's a bit outdated but if you've read the Bible or any other ancient texts claiming type truths you'll find The Cosmos is a bit more recent to our understanding of the cosmos (everything). Plus it helps when the lesson is packaged by an excellent orator and visionary like Sagan. It seems to me you just need more information than what you've afforded yourself. That's all.

So I'm prescribing this because you seem like someone who has collected a lot of thoughts on the subject of happiness but still somehow you have justified that truth isn't all that important. Truth is important and it's all that will ever matter. In many ways truth is happiness. Think about the child that does not know his or her father. Think about being told what he was all about in a negative light or assuming you are not wanted. Think about how everything is impacted by this one potentially false perception without confirmation and how it will impact one's perception of everything going forward. Hiding yourself from the truth is the worst thing you can ever do. It's a slippery slope to an insane way of rejecting reality and this will no doubt have a negative impact on things. It's better to concentrate on the positives of what comes from truth. In my analogy even if you discover what they said about your father is true at least now you can confirm what was said and apply the truth then decide how to perceive it. Remember though, without unfortunate things fortunate things tend to not exist. Ying yang. Understanding that without bad there is no true barometer for good will help you understand the mechanisms for perception and how in the end YOU are the one deciding how it will impact you. When I read The Cosmos I remember feeling connected to everything for the first time. As a result my perceptions of things changed too and this of course changed everything. I hope that it does the same for you.
13-10-2014, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 11:54 AM by MattMVS7.)
(13-10-2014 10:06 AM)dirtstar Wrote:  MATTMVS7-

I read most of what you wrote but as you're no doubt aware of at this point it was way too much information to seriously digest. Have you read Carl Sagan's "The Cosmos"? Don't watch the tv series... read the book. I do have to warn you that it's a bit outdated but if you've read the Bible or any other ancient texts claiming type truths you'll find The Cosmos is a bit more recent to our understanding of the cosmos (everything). Plus it helps when the lesson is packaged by an excellent orator and visionary like Sagan. It seems to me you just need more information than what you've afforded yourself. That's all.

So I'm prescribing this because you seem like someone who has collected a lot of thoughts on the subject of happiness but still somehow you have justified that truth isn't all that important. Truth is important and it's all that will ever matter. In many ways truth is happiness. Think about the child that does not know his or her father. Think about being told what he was all about in a negative light or assuming you are not wanted. Think about how everything is impacted by this one potentially false perception without confirmation and how it will impact one's perception of everything going forward. Hiding yourself from the truth is the worst thing you can ever do. It's a slippery slope to an insane way of rejecting reality and this will no doubt have a negative impact on things. It's better to concentrate on the positives of what comes from truth. In my analogy even if you discover what they said about your father is true at least now you can confirm what was said and apply the truth then decide how to perceive it. Remember though, without unfortunate things fortunate things tend to not exist. Ying yang. Understanding that without bad there is no true barometer for good will help you understand the mechanisms for perception and how in the end YOU are the one deciding how it will impact you. When I read The Cosmos I remember feeling connected to everything for the first time. As a result my perceptions of things changed too and this of course changed everything. I hope that it does the same for you.
Again, even if knowing the truth of atheism does have a major benefit in making you happy and other things, you can achieve this benefit just as good as (and even better) through living a nice happy delusional life. You can achieve a greater amount of happiness and other things through living a nice happy delusional life under the right circumstances.