You can be the better/stronger person without atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 11:51 AM
RE: You can be the better/stronger person without atheism
(13-10-2014 11:20 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  ...
You can achieve a greater amount of happiness and other things through living a nice happy delusional life under the right circumstances.

Sure.

And the village idiot and the town drunk are kings amongst men.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-10-2014, 12:01 PM
(12-10-2014 09:58 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  I have fully perfected my arguments regarding atheism in my opening post. It has some of the same things in it as I stated before, but it also had many different things in it as well.

Please bold the 'perfect' part. I am too woozy from this god-given flu to muddle through the whole thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-10-2014, 12:03 PM
I did not read this op.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
13-10-2014, 12:12 PM
(13-10-2014 12:03 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I did not read this op.

I stopped at this "which is a mindset I will never change".

There's no point in reading any further. You were right not to bother.
[+] 3 users Like xieulong's post
13-10-2014, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 01:08 PM by MattMVS7.)
(13-10-2014 11:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 11:20 AM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  ...
You can achieve a greater amount of happiness and other things through living a nice happy delusional life under the right circumstances.

Sure.

And the village idiot and the town drunk are kings amongst men.

Dodgy
Now here's a very important thing I'm about to say here which is that there is actually scientific evidence to support what I'm saying in this topic. Now some scientific studies show that people who are atheists and/or went through trauma and depression become more compassionate and caring and become better leaders and such that living a nice happy religious life could never achieve. That they can achieve more great things in life and help more people through their atheism and/or suffering and despair. Although this might hold true for some people, this does not hold true for everyone and is not a proven scientific fact. There are many other scientific studies indicating the opposite and I have every reason to instead believe these scientific studies. These scientific studies show that you can be more happy and do more great things in life as well as help even more people through living a nice happy life with a religious belief. Therefore, I have every reason to instead believe that you can be the better compassionate person and better in other ways as well under the right circumstances through living a nice happy religious life. For example, anyone can be a better compassionate person by changing his/her attitude as well as through other things in life. Another example would be that you can be the more intelligent person and help others suffering through your intelligence by reading and studying up on things. In other words, you do not have to be an atheist and/or suffer in order to be a better/smarter/more creative person with a more worthwhile life. Also, this is something many mental health professionals are unaware of. They think that it is best to face reality. But many of these mental health professionals are unaware of these scientific studies that show you can be the better person and achieve more great things in life through a religious belief. However, there are very few mental health professionals who are aware of these scientific studies.
13-10-2014, 12:23 PM
(13-10-2014 12:12 PM)xieulong Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 12:03 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I did not read this op.

I stopped at this "which is a mindset I will never change".

There's no point in reading any further. You were right not to bother.

Right?
Wont change my mind + want to discuss = lame.
That plus the title alone slays me.
Lol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
13-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Oh god, I tried reading the OP, but I just can't. It's like reading a 40-65% grade worthy essay from a teenager. Too many assumptions and unfounded assertions. And way too long and un-engaging to catch the attention of people who don't (and have no reason to) know or care about you.

To sum it up, you are saying that some theists are happier in their own misunderstandings than they would be as atheists?

My response: Yes that's true. But I personally don't consider that real happiness. Just like I don't consider the high from drugs real happiness. I'm a hedonist as well. I think the primary goal of an individual's life is personal happiness (achieved while minimizing harm to others). But I seek happiness in reality. Not a virtual, illusional, or delusional one.

Also...I swear your OP sounds incredibly familiar...from a while back. Hmm..

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
13-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Anyone can be stronger in their position when they have power.

I warn even atheist not to treat the word as a moral code. IT IS NOT A MORAL CODE. It is simply the "off" position on god claims. It does not describe our education level, or economic views. There are plenty of atheists who like me, do not believe in a god who I do not consider moral.

I only agree with atheists that a god does not exist. I do not agree with all ideas of how our species should go about gaining resources and minimize suffering. We are not only a diverse species, we have always been the same species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 12:53 PM
(13-10-2014 12:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh god, I tried reading the OP, but I just can't. It's like reading a 40-65% grade worthy essay from a teenager. Too many assumptions and unfounded assertions. And way too long and un-engaging to catch the attention of people who don't (and have no reason to) know or care about you.

To sum it up, you are saying that some theists are happier in their own misunderstandings than they would be as atheists?

My response: Yes that's true. But I personally don't consider that real happiness. Just like I don't consider the high from drugs real happiness. I'm a hedonist as well. I think the primary goal of an individual's life is personal happiness (achieved while minimizing harm to others). But I seek happiness in reality. Not a virtual, illusional, or delusional one.

Now before I say anything here, go ahead and respond to my previous post I just made here as it shows scientific evidence of what I'm saying here in this topic. Also, it doesn't matter whether your happiness is obtained from fantasy or reality. Happiness is still happiness. For that very reason, as long as you are more happy with a religious belief than being an atheist, then you are better off with this religious belief.
13-10-2014, 01:18 PM
(13-10-2014 12:53 PM)MattMVS7 Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 12:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh god, I tried reading the OP, but I just can't. It's like reading a 40-65% grade worthy essay from a teenager. Too many assumptions and unfounded assertions. And way too long and un-engaging to catch the attention of people who don't (and have no reason to) know or care about you.

Now before I say anything here, go ahead and respond to my previous post I just made here as it shows scientific evidence of what I'm saying here in this topic. Also, it doesn't matter whether your happiness is obtained from fantasy or reality. Happiness is still happiness. For that very reason, as long as you are more happy with a religious belief than being an atheist, then you are better off with this religious belief.

To quote George Bernard Shaw.
β€œThe fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 10 users Like Winterwolf00's post