You can help me against a creationist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2013, 01:40 PM
RE: You can help me against a creationist...
(12-08-2013 11:07 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  "...heat can speed up radioactive decay, giving ages WAY older than they really are."
The problem with this argument is that there are several radio active clocks, each with vastly different rates. If the atmosphere heated up for a period and if this were to speed up radioactive decay (empirical tests indicate that heat has no affect on decay) then we would find that the various clocks would then be out of synch with each other, thus dating something via various methods would show significant discrepancy, however this is not the case, the various method agree with each other (given an acceptable margin of error)
(12-08-2013 11:07 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  "The methods used to prop up evolution and especially its father, atheism, have never produced anything of real practical value. "
Atheism is not the father of evolution. A disbelief in gods does not require acceptance of evolution and acceptance of evolution does not require a disbelief in gods.
One could easily assert that evolution is god's preferred method of creation of species of life. It is really quite ingenious how god created such a simple and elegant solution which resulted in the complexities of life we see today. A true believer in god ought to be fascinated in the awesomeness of god and be seeking as much knowledge on evolution so that they can marvel at god's awesomeness.
(12-08-2013 11:07 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  He also calls those methods "actual pseudo-science".
Evolution is the only peer reviewed scientific theory of how we have such a diverse range of creatures on Earth. The ID and Creationists under the Wedge strategy have been trying very hard for many years to document an ID theory but thus far have been unable to publish any peer reviewed scientific papers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Thank you for your input eksyte.
14-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Here's a section from an "answersingenesis.org" page . . . and why it gets laughed at by the secular scientific community:

"That’s how the radiocarbon method works. And because the half-life of carbon-14 is just 5,730 years, radiocarbon dating of materials containing carbon yields dates of only thousands of years, not the dates over millions of years that conflict with the framework of earth history provided by the Bible, God’s eyewitness account of history."

The unsuspecting pew sitter will see that as saying "that the earth is only about 6,000 years old". That's what this YEC guy I'm debating against uses for his data "that the secular science community refuses to see", . . . . and "uses opinion when saying that the earth is millions of years old". This is why I can't take people like him seriously . . . when THAT is his source.
18-08-2013, 09:08 AM
The photo at the top of the Age Of The Earth page isn't of Earth at all... it's a false colour radar image of Venus.

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits... - George Carlin.
18-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Tell him by following YEC, he's actually accepting doctrine created to go alongside the Bible much like the Book of Mormon. The "Joseph Smith" of YEC, Ellen White, claimed she was transported back in time by God and God showed her how things were created. This took place in the 1800s which makes YEC a really young doctrine.

She created the doctrine of YEC by using parts of the Bible and her own visions.

Now, that's not to say that the thought of a young earth and literal creation account were never discussed; however, they were largely dismissed.

One of the greatest theologians ever, Augustine of Hippo, discounted a literal creation and suggest Christians be open to other beliefs about Genesis as more information is discovered.

Read about Ellen White here and Augustine of Hippo here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input, kingschosen. :-)
19-08-2013, 08:18 AM
"In claiming something to be a miracle, do you need know of every possible natural explanation first? If not, how do you know it to be a miracle? If so, how do you attain this knowledge and how do you know you have acquired it all?"

I'd just ask questions skirting the basic problem with the entire issue. That is, he believes the bible to contain both 1) science and 2) all answers and/or the ability to divine all answers from it.

Evolve
19-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Miracle: An occurrence for which the law of conservation of entropy is seemingly discarded. Note the *seemingly*.

What to do? Sterilize, by fire. Evil_monster

Which is to say, the path to atheism is individual; and hardly ever discovered through online discourse.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-08-2013, 11:42 AM
A creationist is by definition engaged in a staggeringly comprehensive denial of reality. There's not much you can say to that, other than weep for frustration and despair at the grindingly abject ignorance necessary to abjure such basal scientific observations.

All of the corroborating evidence for the age of the Earth and the progression of evolution are confirmed and supported by vast amounts of the data. Such science which is also foundational to a bewildering array of modern engineering and technology.

(19-08-2013 11:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Miracle: An occurrence for which the law of conservation of entropy is seemingly discarded. Note the *seemingly*.

D'you perhaps mean energy? Entropy is not conserved, it increases! An occurrence for which entropy seemingly decreases would be likewise miraculous...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-08-2013, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2013 12:01 PM by No Mere Ape.)
Evolutionary theory is the basis for many biological sciences — it's not just a matter of how old a few bones are.

Everything from drug research to the neurosciences have been trying to implement the theory of evolution to put things into perspective. For example: sexual selection attempts to explain human societies. This helps us get a better understanding of why some populations are susceptible to specific illnesses and why men and women have specific vulnerabilities.

These religious nutcases have pseudoscience "institutions" now. Sigh.

My blog: http://nomereape.tumblr.com/
[+] 1 user Likes No Mere Ape's post