You can't be BOTH an M.D. and a christian!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM

You can say you are both, but you can't actually be both.
I'll explain. Here's the simple version:
Part of becoming a doctor of medicine is learning about evolutionary microbiology.
The aspiring med student either:
A.) believes in jesus and only answered exam questions correctly in order to pass
B.) does not believe in jesus and answered exam questions correctly because he knows the science to be true

My 2 cents. Yours?
Big Grin

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM

RE: You can't be BOTH an M.D. and a christian!
That's stupid.
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2012, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 06:23 AM by Hughsie.)
I can't agree with that at all.

As far as I see it a doctor only really needs to understand how the human body works, not how it came to be. Plus, even if they have to understand microbiology they can understand the theory without actually agreeing with it.

You've also failed to acknowledge that some Christians believe in evolution.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
My doctor is religious and when I took my daughter in for her newborn checkup he showed me all of her primative reflex and developments, his words. He eluded that this was how things grew in this life time. However him or I looked at it, neither of us denied it was happening. A doctor isn't going to sneakily answer the 'false' true questions on a test and then get in the OR and pray and perform differently. They'd be fired.
05-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I had a similar experience with an online bust-up with a few Islamists.
One said she was I lawyer and I asked why I would want to be defended by someone who admits they can believe something with no evidence.
The response was that a lawyer does not need to believe their client is guilty or innocent, they just need to know the law.
Good argument, I thought, but I'd still prefer to choose a lawyer with an evidence-based view of reality.
Same with doctors.
Understanding our physical and mental evolutionary drivers adds insight and wisdom e.g. over-prescribing anti-biotics and pain killers can do more harm than good.

05-04-2012, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 12:37 AM by Quidsane.)
(04-04-2012 11:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  That's stupid.
You're a christian. Go fuck yourself.

(04-04-2012 11:19 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I can't agree with that at all.

As far as I see it a doctor only really needs to understand how the human body works, not how it came to be. Plus, even if they have to understand microbiology they can understand the theory without actually agreeing with it.

You've also failed to acknowledge that some Christians don't believe in evolution.

I definitely over-simplified.
Understanding how the human body works involves evolution at a cellular level.
In my opinion, you can't (or shouldn't) call yourself a doctor if you reject this.

When I stated:

"Part of becoming a doctor of medicine is learning about evolutionary microbiology."

...what was meant was if you don't learn about (accept) evolutionary microbiology, you are not a doctor.
The very christians who don't believe in evolution, yet call themselves doctors, are not doctors.
I thought this was implied in the OP. Apologies for that.
This is a philosophical argument; what's is on their diplomas is irrelevant. Big Grin

05-04-2012, 12:47 AM

(05-04-2012 12:24 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(04-04-2012 11:15 PM)Egor Wrote:  That's stupid.
You're a christian. Go fuck yourself.

Wrong again. Laughat
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2012, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 12:59 AM by Malleus.)
Some christians actually do accept evolution as the most accurate scientific explanation for the origin of species. They just believe that somehow, their god created the process rather than the result. If their science is solid and all they do is fix me up when I'm broken, I couldn't care less what they believe.

My wife would, however, change her gynecologist if s/he dared to give moral guiding instead of medical care. I would also be worried if my surgeon were a Jehovah's Witness because they consider blood transfusion a sin.

Now, when I think about it, a new-earth creationist doctor is indeed worrisome.
Oh, please feel free to join the club of people who ignore Egor. He has a brain virus. It's certainly not contagious, but it is very likely to kill your brain cells even from a distance. Just say no and walk away (with or without an insult). You will not know it, but your life will be that much better for doing it.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
05-04-2012, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 01:03 AM by Quidsane.)
(05-04-2012 12:47 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 12:24 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  You're a christian. Go fuck yourself.

Wrong again. Laughat
Boy, are you sharp.
Stupid? christian? Both insults?
*sigh* nevermind... No

(05-04-2012 12:53 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Oh, please feel free to join the club of people who ignore Egor. He has a brain virus. It's certainly not contagious, but it is very likely to kill your brain cells even from a distance. Just say no and walk away (with or without an insult). You will not know it, but your life will be that much better for doing it.

Oh, shit, haha I just saw this. Thank you. I will do my very best to follow this advice. Big Grin

05-04-2012, 01:26 AM
That's just absurd.

Exactly what does it mean to you for someone to be Christian? That's the equation that is difficult. It can mean a simple belief of God and Jesus being his son or extreme creationism.

What an M.D. is, is easy to qualify. If you officially qualified for and have your M.D. degree, you are a doctor. What a person believes doesn't make their degree any less legit.

You can say it's hypocritical but it not truly a contradiction.

And Egor isn't a Christian, he has made up his own religion. Angel
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post