"You can't be certain"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: "You can't be certain"
(09-01-2014 02:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 12:22 AM)natachan Wrote:  "I have. He is absolutely certain. Therefore his argument is invalid."

'Are you certain?' Angel

I'm using this Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Your father is correct in that we can't be certain.

He is incorrect in stating that Dawkins is (Dawkins has rated himself a 6 on his own scale, not a 7).

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-01-2014, 06:45 PM
(09-01-2014 09:07 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Who. The verb "to be" is a linking verb, so it gets subjects on both sides. That's why, when someone knocks at your door, you ask "Who is it?" instead of "Whom is it?"

And the correct response is, "It is I." Which no one says. But that's the correct way to answer. You shouldn't say "It's me." That's grammatically incorrect.

Then again, if you said "It is I" outside MY door, I might not let you in -- just on sheer principle. You arrogant grammar nazi.

Golly. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I actually would have used "who," but I second-guessed myself due to a recent incongruity with a certain grammar quiz in another thread. I feel so much better now. Dodgy
By the way, one never uses two consecutive hyphens; try using an M-dash in the future. Big Grin (It looks like this: —.)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
09-01-2014, 06:52 PM
(09-01-2014 09:07 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 08:33 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Long before I became an atheist I concluded that: if there is a god, it sure isn't whom anyone here thinks it is.

Who. The verb "to be" is a linking verb, so it gets subjects on both sides. That's why, when someone knocks at your door, you ask "Who is it?" instead of "Whom is it?"

And the correct response is, "It is I." Which no one says. But that's the correct way to answer. You shouldn't say "It's me." That's grammatically incorrect.

Then again, if you said "It is I" outside MY door, I might not let you in -- just on sheer principle. You arrogant grammar nazi.

I usually just say police!
09-01-2014, 06:54 PM
(09-01-2014 06:45 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:07 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Who. The verb "to be" is a linking verb, so it gets subjects on both sides. That's why, when someone knocks at your door, you ask "Who is it?" instead of "Whom is it?"

Golly. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I actually would have used "who," but I second-guessed myself due to a recent incongruity with a certain grammar quiz in another thread. I feel so much better now. Dodgy
By the way, one never uses two consecutive hyphens; try using an M-dash in the future. Big Grin (It looks like this: —.)

Sorry!
09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
(09-01-2014 06:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 06:45 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Golly. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I actually would have used "who," but I second-guessed myself due to a recent incongruity with a certain grammar quiz in another thread. I feel so much better now. Dodgy

Sorry!

Apology accepted.

Now we may dance.

[Image: Moving-animated-picture-of-dancing-fools.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Weird. How did I end up here in the grammar class thread? Well, I'm off to find that "You can't be certain" thread that I could have sworn I came into. Tongue

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-01-2014, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 03:19 AM by bslats.)
(09-01-2014 12:22 AM)natachan Wrote:  Over the New Years holiday I went to visit my parents. Both know of my atheism, and have received it in rather mixed ways. My mom, who is a devout catholic, has been very accepting of it. My father however has been rather critical. He claims to be agnostic but when pressed his views fall somewhere between deism and revisionary Christianity. My mother is a rationalist, my father is an irrationalist. Both are highly educated, though not in science. My father is just educated enough to think he is an expert on science and physics. He took a survey course in college and has been reading popular science books since.

When going down to visit I had decided not to discuss my beliefs, since I have two young siblings (13 and 17 years younger than me) who are still in school and who I did not want to rely on my judgement. I also believe it would be rude since it is my parents decision how the two of them should be raised.

It is an eight hour drive there, so I had audiobooks loaded onto my phone. My dad asked to see my list and I allowed him to view it. He came to The God Delusion and he says to me: "you know the premise if this book is flawed."

"I don't think so."

"The universe is uncertain, you can not be certain of anything. He is certain."

"I don't think you've read the book," I say.

"I have. He is absolutely certain. Therefore his argument is invalid."

I really don't know how to respond to this. I don't want to be impolite and call his argument, which sounds suspiciously like the you-can't-disprove-God argument, out in front of my young siblings. But I also want him to stop the proselytizing.

Pat Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn, etc If there was a god he would have sent a lightening bolt up those idiot's ass a long time ago. Not to mention all the pedapriest walking around.
18-01-2014, 08:55 AM
(18-01-2014 08:18 AM)bslats Wrote:  Pat Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn, etc If there was a god he would sent a lightening bolt up those idiot's ass a long time ago. Not to mention all the pedapriest walking around.

I just heard that the Christ statue in Rio de Brazil was struck and damaged by lightning...that is so delicious!

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
18-01-2014, 09:11 AM
(18-01-2014 08:55 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 08:18 AM)bslats Wrote:  Pat Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn, etc If there was a god he would sent a lightening bolt up those idiot's ass a long time ago. Not to mention all the pedapriest walking around.

I just heard that the Christ statue in Rio de Brazil was struck and damaged by lightning...that is so delicious!

Not enough, though.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user