You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 08:36 AM
RE: You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'
(18-02-2015 08:18 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  If there was no one around saying there is a god there would be no more theism but I still would not belive in a god and thus still be an atheist.

How would you even be cognisant of 'god' if the 'god' concept never existed?

You make no sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 08:37 AM
(18-02-2015 08:30 AM)Anti Wrote:  "If there were no theists then everybody would be an atheist, we just probably wouldn't label it or spend a lot of time on it."

How is that possible when one is totally dependent on the other? If 'theist didn't exist then how would and 'atheist' still exist?

By the definition I use, an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing. It is not dependent on there existing anybody who does accept such a claim.

Perhaps you should define "atheist" as you use it. From reading your posts it is pretty obvious that you are arguing a strawman.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-02-2015, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 08:57 AM by Anti.)
"By the definition I use, an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing"

"It is not dependent on there existing anybody who does accept such a claim."

You make no sense. How could you not accept any claim of a god existing if nobody ever made that claim?
18-02-2015, 08:47 AM
(18-02-2015 08:44 AM)Anti Wrote:  "By the definition I use, an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing"

" It is not dependent on there existing anybody who does accept such a claim."

You make no sense. How could you not accept any claim of a god existing if nobody ever made that claim?

Atheist means without belief in gods. If there were no concept of gods, there would be no belief.

You seem to be willfully conflating 'atheist' and 'anti-theist'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-02-2015, 08:57 AM
(18-02-2015 08:44 AM)Anti Wrote:  "By the definition I use, an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing"

" It is not dependent on there existing anybody who does accept such a claim."

Where did I say nobody ever made the claim?

Are you going to explain your definition of atheist or just ignore that?

18-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Anti, you are without doubt, the most consistently incorrect person I've seen here to date.
Congratulations!
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
18-02-2015, 08:58 AM
(18-02-2015 08:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Atheist means without belief in gods. If there were no concept of gods, there would be no belief.

You seem to be willfully conflating 'atheist' and 'anti-theist'.

So if there was no 'theists' then what label would you use? Would the term 'atheist' even exist?
18-02-2015, 09:01 AM
(18-02-2015 08:58 AM)pablo Wrote:  Anti, you are without doubt, the most consistently incorrect person I've seen here to date.
Congratulations!

I'm just trying to decide if Anti is just really, really bad at philosophy or a deliberate troll. I'm leaning toward both.

[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
18-02-2015, 09:02 AM
(18-02-2015 08:30 AM)Anti Wrote:  "If there were no theists then everybody would be an atheist, we just probably wouldn't label it or spend a lot of time on it."

How is that possible when one is totally dependent on the other? If 'theist didn't exist then how would and 'atheist' still exist?

You have just become my poster boy for my signature Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption

I’m surprised you can type. Drinking Beverage

If atheists didn’t exist theists wouldn’t exist?Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-02-2015, 09:03 AM
(18-02-2015 09:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:58 AM)pablo Wrote:  Anti, you are without doubt, the most consistently incorrect person I've seen here to date.
Congratulations!

I'm just trying to decide if Anti is just really, really bad at philosophy or a deliberate troll. I'm leaning toward both.

Sub-troll Laugh out load