You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'
(18-02-2015 08:57 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:44 AM)Anti Wrote:  "By the definition I use, an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing"
"It is not dependent on there existing anybody who does accept such a claim."

You make no sense. How could you not accept any claim of a god existing if nobody ever made that claim?

Where did I say nobody ever made the claim?

Are you going to explain your definition of atheist or just ignore that?

"an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing" -- That is your definition. Sounds good to me. So lets use that one.

Now could you please tell me what exactly do you mean when you use the word 'god' in your definition?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Our disbelief is nowhere near as big a part of our lives and our identities as your belief is to you theist folks. That, I think, is one of the primary misconceptions theists have about atheism; that the god(s) we don't believe in are as important to us as the god(s) you do believe in.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
18-02-2015, 09:16 AM
(18-02-2015 09:03 AM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:57 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Where did I say nobody ever made the claim?

Are you going to explain your definition of atheist or just ignore that?

"an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing" -- That is your definition. Sounds good to me. So lets use that one.

Now could you please tell me what exactly do you mean when you use the word 'god' in your definition?

I’ll play along with you.

“god” = supernatural, outside of the natural realm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-02-2015, 09:31 AM
(18-02-2015 09:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 09:03 AM)Anti Wrote:  "an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing" -- That is your definition. Sounds good to me. So lets use that one.

I’ll play along with you.

“god” = supernatural, outside of the natural realm

I was asking unfogged the question but if you are lonely and need someone to play with then I'll ask you. Where did you come up with the "supernatural, outside of the natural realm" part?
18-02-2015, 09:31 AM
(18-02-2015 07:18 AM)Anti Wrote:  The whole identity of people who take on the label of 'atheist' is totally based upon other people and dependent upon the beliefs of the 'theist.'

You can't be an 'atheist' without the 'theist' so why aren't you all grateful to them for giving you guys an identity?

You can't be "Anti"-atheist without atheists.

So aren't you grateful that all of us godless heathens exist to provide you with an identity?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
18-02-2015, 09:35 AM
(18-02-2015 07:18 AM)Anti Wrote:  The whole identity of people who take on the label of 'atheist' is totally based upon other people and dependent upon the beliefs of the 'theist.'

You can't be an 'atheist' without the 'theist' so why aren't you all grateful to them for giving you guys an identity?

Oh! This is undeniably true.

You have no idea how totally grateful I am.

At least once per day I say a little prayer of gratitude to the whole panoply of deities for creating all the theists without whom I would have no whole identity.

OK, that's not strictly true. I can't remember all their names so it's more of a plethora than a panoply.

Any atheist not having a similar worship ritual is simply insincere in their faith.

I've been a non-believer all my life but only realised I was an actual atheist at the age of 10. It's painful to remember a time before that when I had no whole identity... a time when I was desperately searching for a whole identity.

I'm so happy and so very grateful to all the theists for helping me discover who I truly am.

Without them I am nothing.

Bowing

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2015, 09:38 AM
(18-02-2015 09:31 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  

You can't be "Anti"-atheist without atheists.

So aren't you grateful that all of us godless heathens exist to provide you with an identity?

Who said I was anti anything?
18-02-2015, 09:41 AM
You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'
Read some Greenberg, Comrie, and Chomsky, and then come back when you have a basic understanding of word origins and basic morphology.
18-02-2015, 09:43 AM
(18-02-2015 09:41 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Read some Greenberg, Comrie, and Chomsky, and then come back when you have a basic understanding of word origins and basic morphology.

Are you talking to me? if so, why? what specifically did I get wrong?
18-02-2015, 09:47 AM
(18-02-2015 09:31 AM)Anti Wrote:  Where did you come up with the "supernatural, outside of the natural realm" part?

[Image: marvel-map-of-the-nine-realms.png]

[Image: tumblr_m3f9xsgv2c1qepteho1_500.gif]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post