You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 10:50 AM by Clockwork.)
You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'
You're arguing semantics.

You're arguing similar to us artists. In the art world, we discuss realism versus nonrealism (with no negative connotations as you are).

But in fact it's more like fiction versus nonfiction. Historians agree that nonfiction predated fiction, the date depending upon the culture.

You're saying (analogy) we couldn't have nonfiction without fiction. That's not true. The "a-" prefix merely is, if memory serves, a Greek prefix.

If you don't understand that, then you're possibly just not able to grasp this concept.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
18-02-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: You can't spell 'atheist' without 'theist'
(18-02-2015 09:03 AM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:57 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Where did I say nobody ever made the claim?

Are you going to explain your definition of atheist or just ignore that?

"an atheist is a person who does not accept any claim of a god existing" -- That is your definition. Sounds good to me. So lets use that one.

Now could you please tell me what exactly do you mean when you use the word 'god' in your definition?

You are attempting to avoid the two questions I asked:
Where did I say nobody ever made the claim?
Are you going to explain your definition of atheist or just ignore that?

If you will not or can not answer them then I will have to assume you are nothing but a troll, and a bad one at that.

As for your question, I mean any and all things that have been purported to exist and labeled "god" by theists so far. (The only exception would be a pantheistic "the universe is god" claim if it doesn't go any further -- I do believe that the universe exists). I don't pretend to define what god is since I've seen no evidence for anything that would meet any of the common concepts of what a god is.

Free clue: you appear to have a very hard time distinguishing between a thing (or a concept) and the label we use to identify that thing. The label "atheist" would not exist without the concept of "theist" but people would still lack any belief in a god if they didn't have that concept. Igtheist might be a better choice but atheist applies.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-02-2015, 11:32 AM
(18-02-2015 09:31 AM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 09:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’ll play along with you.

“god” = supernatural, outside of the natural realm

I was asking unfogged the question but if you are lonely and need someone to play with then I'll ask you. Where did you come up with the "supernatural, outside of the natural realm" part?

I sense a bit of condecenscion? Nah.

As for your new question, are you saying this is not correct?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-02-2015, 11:46 AM
(18-02-2015 07:18 AM)Anti Wrote:  The whole identity of people who take on the label of 'atheist' is totally based upon other people and dependent upon the beliefs of the 'theist.'

You can't be an 'atheist' without the 'theist' so why aren't you all grateful to them for giving you guys an identity?

Here's where you went wrong. You seem to think that the existence of atheists is dependent on the existence of theists.

Which is not true. The label of 'atheism' may owe its existence to 'theism', but the actual subjects exist independent of each other.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god/deity/supernatural/divine/etc. If we didn't have theists presenting these ideas, i.e. theists didn't exist, atheists would still exist. In fact, everyone would be an atheist. Perhaps they would not label themselves as such, or label themselves anything at all, but an atheist they would still be.

Did atoms only spring into existence when Greek philosophers coined up the term? No, they existed prior to that, and would have existed whether or not we were around to come up with a label for them. In a sense, the same goes for 'atheist'.
[+] 3 users Like SajaaK's post
18-02-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 03:36 PM by Full Circle.)
Did you all know that besides being atheist I am also aleprechaunist? I know that may come as a shock to many of you here and I hope this doesn’t ruin our friendship.

Let me explain. As a kid I was exposed to this

[Image: pax71.jpg]

Every morning I’d have a bowl and stare at the leprechaun. I believed in my little buddy. But now, having seen no evidence of my buddy existing, I mean other than in the artwork, I’m left with no hope that he was ever real.

Meanwhile my best friend used to eat this

[Image: KelloggsFrootLoopscereal_566.jpg]

One day I told him about my leprechaun and he said, and I quote, “What the fuck are you talking about?”. You see, he was already aleprechaunist without even knowing it! He had never been exposed to leprechauns so he couldn’t even consider believing in something he had no experience with he said.

In the end his belief in Toucans proved to be right seeing as how there is actually evidence for them outside the box Big Grin but as for me and my leprechauns, well, I stopped believing in them when I was 8.

And that, Anti, is how you properly show condescension Thumbsup my intellectually challenged friend.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
18-02-2015, 12:14 PM
(18-02-2015 08:30 AM)Anti Wrote:  "If there were no theists then everybody would be an atheist, we just probably wouldn't label it or spend a lot of time on it."

How is that possible when one is totally dependent on the other? If 'theist didn't exist then how would and 'atheist' still exist?

In the beginning - nobody believed in a god - because nobody had thought it up.

Then, some jackoff did... and they came up with names for it -- "Religious", "devout:, "believer", ect.

At some point - they needed a name for those who didn't believe in the invisible man in the sky.

What part you gotta problem with??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-02-2015, 12:17 PM
What? Leprechauns don't exist? There goes all my fun looking for the pot of gold at the end of rainbows! Then again I never could find the end of rainbows either so....
18-02-2015, 12:18 PM
(18-02-2015 12:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:30 AM)Anti Wrote:  "If there were no theists then everybody would be an atheist, we just probably wouldn't label it or spend a lot of time on it."

How is that possible when one is totally dependent on the other? If 'theist didn't exist then how would and 'atheist' still exist?

In the beginning - nobody believed in a god - because nobody had thought it up.

Then, some jackoff did... and they came up with names for it -- "Religious", "devout:, "believer", ect.

At some point - they needed a name for those who didn't believe in the invisible man in the sky.

What part you gotta problem with??

I know, and this person is beginning to bore me...and we all know what happens when I get bored.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2015, 12:19 PM
(18-02-2015 12:17 PM)Whimsymum Wrote:  What? Leprechauns don't exist? There goes all my fun looking for the pot of gold at the end of rainbows! Then again I never could find the end of rainbows either so....

I found the end of the rainbow once. I was so stoned, I completely forgot about the pot of gold.

Damn Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Yes, so what?

Many atheists would be glad for there to be a time they live in where the term atheists is entirely pointless because theism is no longer a position held. Plenty don't think that is likely in their lifetime, but they think letting people know that the presence of atheists is growing will help that ideal become reality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post