You cannot escape faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 01:32 AM
RE: You cannot escape faith
(28-03-2014 07:25 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 07:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You need faith to believe in logic. You need faith to believe that you exist. It is inescapable.

please define faith

Fulton hit it on the head.

You are incorrectly applying the word "faith." Faith means to believe in the absence of evidence and that what is considered sufficient evidence to not have faith is already agreed upon.

Questioning what constitutes as evidence for any particular topic does not inherently arrive one to the conclusion that one has to rely on "faith." One has to first describe what constitutes as evidence.

I would tell you that the most reasonable conclusion is that there will always be an element of uncertainty no matter how small. That is not synonymous with "relying on faith" for it has nothing to do with the faith religious folks speak of (believing in the absence of evidence, not believing with a certain degree of uncertainty on the evidence).

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
29-03-2014, 01:53 AM
(28-03-2014 07:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 07:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Are you drunk?

Not that I'm aware of.

Are we supposed to take that on faith?

I'm sceptical.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-03-2014, 02:09 AM
(29-03-2014 01:53 AM)DLC Wrote:  I'm sceptical.

Drinking Beverage

rlly... ?FacepalmLaugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
29-03-2014, 05:01 AM
You should move to Turkey. They don't wear seat belts in their cars because they 'have faith' and on the flipside if they die overtaking on a blind corner and have a head on with a bus then it was Gods will.

It's a special moment seeing a dead 7 year old kid cut from a car because his father had 'faith' rather than some common sense and the ability to stay on the right side of the road.
29-03-2014, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 06:57 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(28-03-2014 07:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You need faith to believe in logic. You need faith to believe that you exist. It is inescapable.
.... ugh this is so asinine i don't even feel like replying.
(28-03-2014 09:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm not trying to be pejorative when I say this. But I honestly read this guy's name as dildo97 every time I see it. Is that just me?
Maybe its just my specs... or maybe i just have a dirty mind..Big Grin its just like miss meng the "cunninglinguist"! you'll never know what these trolls come up with!Laugh out load

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
29-03-2014, 06:44 AM

No hon. No *faith* required to apply logical skills.
Zip.
Nada.

carry on

[Image: funny+cat+photos+(151).jpg]

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load
29-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Why is this in the Atheism and Theism section and not the Philosophy section? Does Diddo think that once we admit we have faith in logic that he can suddenly jump to some broader religious claim?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-03-2014, 11:08 AM
So this was an odd question.

I went and looked up the etymology of the word to the Latin "fides" which means confidence, belief, or trust. I do have confidence in science and logic, because they have proven to be reliable ways to interpret reality. I believe that my senses are accurate and that I am capable of using logic to correctly interpret reality in this way, because I have learned that this is so.

I do not have "belief without evidence" which is the English meaning of faith.
29-03-2014, 11:17 AM
HAHA GUYZ PRFECT KNOLWEJ R IMPOSSBLE THREFOR U HAS FAITH TROLOLOL

I R SO SMRTR THAN U CUZ I FIGR DIS OUT

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-03-2014, 12:45 PM
(29-03-2014 11:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  HAHA GUYZ PRFECT KNOLWEJ R IMPOSSBLE THREFOR U HAS FAITH TROLOLOL

I R SO SMRTR THAN U CUZ I FIGR DIS OUT

Yeah, this seems like typical Philosophy 101 stuff. The kind of stuff that's technically true, but otherwise meaningless and inapplicable to every day life. So, we go around having "faith" in logic and our ability to observe things, and we make super computers, vaccines, and put satellites in space. Meanwhile, other people put faith in their gods and... bicker about whether or not Jesus was actually divine, if you get into heaven by grace or works, or whether or not women should be priests.

False equivalence is false.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post