You ever see a beekeeper in action???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 04:30 PM
You ever see a beekeeper in action???
We had a nest of bees in a tree outside of our house and had to call a beekeeper to remove them. They were honeybees, so most of you probably know it is recommended to call a beekeeper to take them because of how they are declining in numbers, plus it'd be a bitch trying to remove them yourself.

Let me tell ya:

Ol' dude came, no bee-suit, just a polo, some khakis, and some damn boat shoes, set up a capture box (with the bee-frames inside) and a old ass ladder against a flimsy branch on the tree.

Then he asked for a paint brush and an envelope, and went up with his bare hands, the brush and envelope, and scoped some of the bees into the box to make room to cut the branch the bees were on.

He then had me hand him a saw and trimmer and cut part of the branch down.

After that, he took the box off the other branch, took the branch he cut down (with the bees on it), and laid them on the ground next to each other. Still with no gloves, suit, nothing, he shakes and scoops the bees off the branch, with his bare hands, and eventually the bees basically, how he described it, set up shop in the box and the bees were signaling other bees in the box.

From then on, sometimes with his assistance, the bees, queen and all, marched into themselves into the box; shit was amazing.

Pure dope.

Here is a pic of the bees prior to removal. It wasn't a very big swarm, but this is my first time seeing one like it, and at least to me, the shit was dope.

[Image: 7229612322_651770b46f.jpg]

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TrulyX's post
19-05-2012, 04:51 PM
RE: You ever see a beekeeper in action???
Cool story X.
Crazy old coot. Makes me wonder how many times he was stung in his youth to work up to that kind of confidence?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-05-2012, 04:53 PM
(19-05-2012 04:30 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Here is a pic of the bees prior to removal. It wasn't a very big swarm, but this is my first time seeing one like it, and at least to me, the shit was dope.

[Image: 7229612322_651770b46f.jpg]
That is amazing! What is that, a crabapple tree? Some kind of fruit tree - probably why they were so keen to nest there. I've seen them do that up in trees, but always out in the country so not a problem.

He will take them to his place, I assume. Or will you be learning to be a beekeeper? It's minimal work farming - the bees do most of the work, you just have to protect them. Tempting, huh?

I have a friend who does it - he loves his bees. I love them too - I get as much fresh honey as is humanly possible year round! Aside from giving it away, he does make quite a lot of money with his bees.

Could be a lucrative hobby for the retirement years! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-05-2012, 05:01 PM
(19-05-2012 04:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Cool story X.
Crazy old coot. Makes me wonder how many times he was stung in his youth to work up to that kind of confidence?
No kidding! I wonder if the bees can smell the fear? They smell lots of stuff - drugs ... mostly bombs - pretty cool.

Bees are really amazing creatures. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-05-2012, 05:10 PM
(19-05-2012 05:01 PM)kim Wrote:  No kidding! I wonder if the bees can smell the fear?
This is what my first thought was.

I've never heard of them being able to detect bombs. This might explain the mystery of why honey bees are disappearing at an alarming rate. Al Qaeda has probably devised a way to kill off the bees so they can sneak bombs into the country. Someone needs to alert Homeland Security!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Bees are the *shit*.

I have a friend who showed me some cool stuff, he keeps bees... I was scared shitless the first few times but there's so much cool stuff to know Smile

One thing is that bees don't like sweat at all... so of course the first time I was sweating bullets... fun times Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Bees are amazing.
They tell each other where the pollen/nectar is by their dance.
Then a bee, which has never been to the spot, "knows" where to go, just by watching the dance.
Bzzz.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-05-2012, 05:33 PM
(19-05-2012 05:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 05:01 PM)kim Wrote:  No kidding! I wonder if the bees can smell the fear?
This is what my first thought was.

I've never heard of them being able to detect bombs. This might explain the mystery of why honey bees are disappearing at an alarming rate. Al Qaeda has probably devised a way to kill off the bees so they can sneak bombs into the country. Someone needs to alert Homeland Security!
Ha - I wouldn't involve the government - they already have bee fuck up written all over them. Hobo
They've found a lot of things have been killing off bees. But mainly there is this shitty little parasite that's attacking the bee, getting into it's brain, and fucking up their bee dance... they become like zombie bees. It's kind of creepy.

Some of the bees are trying to speed up their own evolution by pulling off their antenna which the parasite is attracted to... and breeding an antenna-less bee. It's really amazing that this creature has such a firm grasp of evolution and is desperately trying to work with it, for the possible survival of their species.

I'm trying to find the video I saw about one guy in England who's bees are pulling off their antenna -he's collected them- it's really amazing. I think it may have been National Geo or possibly BBC Science - I've been looking for it for weeks now. Crap I wish I would have downloaded it. Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-05-2012, 05:41 PM
My great grand uncle was a beekeeper in the country side in Bavaria. I got to visit a few times, my parents bought honey from him once a year. (I remember that honey, haven't tasted anything like it since. It was delicious.)

He would take me with him to get honey, and he instructed me to move at a consistent speed and not to make jerky movements. Bees were flying all around me but I didn't get stung once.

I was super impressed, first time we went I was five years old. He did wear gloves. He had bees crawling all over him sometimes. I remember studying how he moved, and it was very fluid, constant and consistent. Different from when he was in the house, and I tried to imitate him. I remember practicing it at home in front of the mirror, lol. Moving like that is hard for a rambunctious five year old.

That's all I remember, except for the fresh baked slices of bread with butter and honey. Heavenly.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-05-2012, 07:03 PM
(19-05-2012 04:53 PM)kim Wrote:  That is amazing! What is that, a crabapple tree? Some kind of fruit tree - probably why they were so keen to nest there. I've seen them do that up in trees, but always out in the country so not a problem.

He will take them to his place, I assume. Or will you be learning to be a beekeeper? It's minimal work farming - the bees do most of the work, you just have to protect them. Tempting, huh?

I have a friend who does it - he loves his bees. I love them too - I get as much fresh honey as is humanly possible year round! Aside from giving it away, he does make quite a lot of money with his bees.

Could be a lucrative hobby for the retirement years! Thumbsup
I think it's a cherry tree, but I really couldn't say. Kind of funny given that it's been in my backyard since I lived here. I really don't even notice it all year, until the spring when it blossoms.

The guy said that they didn't even build a nest yet, he said it was just a swarm. He said something probably happened to wherever they were previously, and they moved there temporarily and formed a swarm to protect the queen until they could build a new nest.

Yeah, the guy is definitely taking them, I'm not keeping any bees anytime in the near future. He left them in the box, and it's still in my backyard for right now. He said he wanted to wait until later in the day to pick them up. Not quite sure why, but I assume after dark, all of the bees will stop flying around and return for the night. He did it for free, and he seemed like a really nice guy who cared a lot about bees. So, it's definitely best to let him take them.

I'm just glad I ran a Google search for: how to remove bees. I wasn't even thinking of calling a beekeeper, but it was definitely the right thing to do; he knew what he was doing. At first I was confused, because I didn't know how he was planing on getting the job done with only a box. I was going to help for a minute also, but when he started sawing the branch off and bees were flying hitting my head and buzzing in my ear, I had to say forget that and get out of there. As much as I love bees, my intuition to avoid pain is way too high to hang around an animal with a natural instinct is to sting when they feel it's necessary.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post