You ever see a beekeeper in action???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2012, 12:58 AM
RE: You ever see a beekeeper in action???
That suit of bees... man... I like bees, but I would be horrified if one went up my nose. Sadcryface

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-05-2012, 01:46 PM
"Bees kinda like women. When foolin' with either one there's a certain amount of smoke that you gotta blow to keep everybody in the calm stage. If you go over the line and blow too much smoke the bottom line is there ain't enough smoke to calm either one of them down. I treat both of 'em 'bout the same. Easy, easy now, settle down." - Phil, Duck Dynasty

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-05-2012, 01:52 PM
(20-05-2012 01:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Bees kinda like women. When foolin' with either one there's a certain amount of smoke that you gotta blow to keep everybody in the calm stage. If you go over the line and blow too much smoke the bottom line is there ain't enough smoke to calm either one of them down. I treat both of 'em 'bout the same. Easy, easy now, settle down." - Phil
So, is Phil like that because there's no woman around? Or is there no woman around beca...

oh, never mind. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-05-2012, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 03:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-05-2012 01:52 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-05-2012 01:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Bees kinda like women. When foolin' with either one there's a certain amount of smoke that you gotta blow to keep everybody in the calm stage. If you go over the line and blow too much smoke the bottom line is there ain't enough smoke to calm either one of them down. I treat both of 'em 'bout the same. Easy, easy now, settle down." - Phil
So, is Phil like that because there's no woman around? Or is there no woman around beca...

Miss Kay's been keepin' Phil in line for decades now, since she was 16 yo. ... I love this show. These Bayou rednecks are millionaires from making Duck Calls and still manage to stay grounded. Phil was drafted into the NFL as a QB from Louisiana Tech who played in front of Terry Bradshaw but turned it down because it interfered with duck hunting season. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-05-2012, 06:53 PM
This thread is just the 'bees knees', ain't it? No

Well, no-one else said it! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
22-05-2012, 06:40 PM
(19-05-2012 05:33 PM)kim Wrote:  _____________
They've found a lot of things have been killing off bees. But mainly there is this shitty little parasite that's attacking the bee, getting into it's brain, and fucking up their bee dance... they become like zombie bees. It's kind of creepy.

Some of the bees are trying to speed up their own evolution by pulling off their antenna which the parasite is attracted to... and breeding an antenna-less bee. It's really amazing that this creature has such a firm grasp of evolution and is desperately trying to work with it, for the possible survival of their species.

I'm trying to find the video I saw about one guy in England who's bees are pulling off their antenna -he's collected them- it's really amazing. I think it may have been National Geo or possibly BBC Science - I've been looking for it for weeks now. Crap I wish I would have downloaded it. Weeping

Too bad it doesn't work like that, huh? Now, if they focused on breeding any/all antenna-less bees born with it as a genetic mutation, then they'd be getting somewhere... If they're really pulling off their antennae to avoid attracting the parasites, that's amazing - I didn't think they were that intelligent...

Better without God, and happier too.
23-05-2012, 01:35 AM
(22-05-2012 06:40 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Too bad it doesn't work like that, huh? Now, if they focused on breeding any/all antenna-less bees born with it as a genetic mutation, then they'd be getting somewhere... If they're really pulling off their antennae to avoid attracting the parasites, that's amazing - I didn't think they were that intelligent...
Neither did I! Could it be that the genes for antenna pulling behaviour evolved rather than evolving the mutations needed for no antenna?

I doubt insects have that much body awareness and intelligence unless it was hard-coded in some form.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss