You get one shot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 09:43 PM
You get one shot
This may be too similar to the "one sentence that destroys religion" thread but maybe not.

Today I was sitting in a public place and was checking out our forum on my phone. The guy sitting next to me saw the banner on the home page and could see it was The Thinking Atheist. He said something like, "You don't believe in god?" I said, "You do?"

He said he couldn't understand how I didn't believe. I knew I would have but a minute with this guy and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I asked him if he actually read the entire bible. He said no, so I told him his entire belief system is based on a book that he hasn't even read, and if he did he would learn it is not only full of untruths and every atrocity known to humans, but that it was written by uneducated goat herders who thought the moon was its own light source and the earth was the center of the universe. I invited him to do critical thinking and then I had to leave.

So it got me to thinking: What is the best "gotcha" factoid or position you could spring on a believer if you only had time to say one thing to them? In other words, is there something you could say to them that would make them have to question their beliefs in that one instant?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like WillHopp's post
12-12-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: You get one shot
I like to point out that we have progressed morally as a society in spite of the bible, not because of religion. I cite slavery, women's rights and homsexuals as examples and how only empathy makes a much better moral framework than christianity.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
12-12-2014, 10:53 PM
"I'm sorry, I can't talk. I must stone you now for that mixed fabrics shirt, as your Bible says is the right thing to do."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 9 users Like CleverUsername's post
12-12-2014, 11:17 PM
unless you can provide evidence thats been peer reviewed and accepted by the scientific community that warrants a rejection of the null hypothesis then I have no reason not to claim that "god does not exist" nothing else will do
12-12-2014, 11:32 PM
I prefer to let them take THEIR best shot at convincing me they're right.
They are, after all, the one with the claim.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
12-12-2014, 11:36 PM
(12-12-2014 11:17 PM)Ace Wrote:  unless you can provide evidence thats been peer reviewed and accepted by the scientific community that warrants a rejection of the null hypothesis then I have no reason not to claim that "god does not exist" nothing else will do

I think that distills down to this:

Noting but credible evidence that refutes the null hypothesis would make any "god does not exist" claim baseless.

That's as terse as I could make it after putting grammar back in and ditching redundant negatives and whatnot. But I still don't know what it means.
13-12-2014, 02:35 AM
(12-12-2014 11:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  I prefer to let them take THEIR best shot at convincing me they're right.
They are, after all, the one with the claim.

Not necessarily.

But that's neither here nor there and I'm not getting into that argument again for the next century.

Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
13-12-2014, 03:00 AM
Imagine all the gods throughout history you don't believe in: Zeus, Allah, Thor, Isis, Ra, etc., and then think about the fact that atheists simply believe in one fewer god than you. And for all the reasons you don't believe in those gods (you know they believe in you), we don't believe in yours. Besides, if it's true he made you in his image, why aren't you invisible? Now, imagine me in spikes and leather pulling your wee pin-head out of your cavernous bum so you can learn to think critically... wait, I'm digressing into wishful thinking here.

~incrédulité~
[+] 1 user Likes sansdieux's post
13-12-2014, 03:51 AM
(12-12-2014 09:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This may be too similar to the "one sentence that destroys religion" thread but maybe not.

Today I was sitting in a public place and was checking out our forum on my phone. The guy sitting next to me saw the banner on the home page and could see it was The Thinking Atheist. He said something like, "You don't believe in god?" I said, "You do?"

He said he couldn't understand how I didn't believe. I knew I would have but a minute with this guy and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I asked him if he actually read the entire bible. He said no, so I told him his entire belief system is based on a book that he hasn't even read, and if he did he would learn it is not only full of untruths and every atrocity known to humans, but that it was written by uneducated goat herders who thought the moon was its own light source and the earth was the center of the universe. I invited him to do critical thinking and then I had to leave.

So it got me to thinking: What is the best "gotcha" factoid or position you could spring on a believer if you only had time to say one thing to them? In other words, is there something you could say to them that would make them have to question their beliefs in that one instant?

"There are 41,000 Christian denominations, 4 central sects of Judaism, approx 53 Islamic sects and that should give you a basis for understanding that there are around 40-odd major religions in the world today which have their own countless variety of sects. Not to mention all the religions and their sects which have died out throughout human history. Keep in mind that every single one of these religions and sects are opposed to each other when I ask you: How can you be so sure you have it right?"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-12-2014, 04:01 AM
(12-12-2014 09:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This may be too similar to the "one sentence that destroys religion" thread but maybe not.

Glad to see this thread. Also the other thread about questions to pose on a theist's facebook page. It's all good practise for concisely getting your point across in these short little opportunities that come by.

I liked your explanation. The theist will probably have been thinking about what you said for a long time afterwards and may even be the seed that starts his deconversion.

I think my shortest explanation is:

"If God existed as people think then the modern world would not exist."

This matches any description of a god because science can explain so much of reality that the small gap left for it to fit into makes it irrelevant.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post