You get one shot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 06:07 AM
RE: You get one shot
I live in Oregon, so I have no need for confronting religious people in person. I never really thought about it before really.

I guess it is time I sat down and thought about my gotcha phrase just in case I might wander across someone like that if one of them should ever move over here by accident.

Incoming Irony.
....GOD I love my state!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 06:16 AM
(12-12-2014 09:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This may be too similar to the "one sentence that destroys religion" thread but maybe not.

Today I was sitting in a public place and was checking out our forum on my phone. The guy sitting next to me saw the banner on the home page and could see it was The Thinking Atheist. He said something like, "You don't believe in god?" I said, "You do?"

He said he couldn't understand how I didn't believe. I knew I would have but a minute with this guy and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I asked him if he actually read the entire bible. He said no, so I told him his entire belief system is based on a book that he hasn't even read, and if he did he would learn it is not only full of untruths and every atrocity known to humans, but that it was written by uneducated goat herders who thought the moon was its own light source and the earth was the center of the universe. I invited him to do critical thinking and then I had to leave.

So it got me to thinking: What is the best "gotcha" factoid or position you could spring on a believer if you only had time to say one thing to them? In other words, is there something you could say to them that would make them have to question their beliefs in that one instant?

I think you nailed it tbh. Not confrontational, just planted a seed that he'll go back, read his Bible and think... "I believe this?"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
13-12-2014, 06:57 AM
The one thing that got my religious friend thinking is:

If Jesus died on the cross to absolve us of our sins, how come we still have to die? Wasn't death imposed on Adam and Eve by god because they sinned?

She came up with that thought on her own, and it is eating away at her...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
13-12-2014, 07:48 AM
You worship the guy who created evil in the world. Isaiah 45:7
You worship the guy who created the devil.
You worship the guy who watches women being raped all over the world.
You worship the guy who watched over 6 million Jews die in the holocaust, while the Nazi's believed god was on their side. They believed the creator of evil was on their side.

You worship the guy who tortures every non-christian for eternity. How do you get more evil than that ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
13-12-2014, 10:12 PM
(12-12-2014 09:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This may be too similar to the "one sentence that destroys religion" thread but maybe not.

Today I was sitting in a public place and was checking out our forum on my phone. The guy sitting next to me saw the banner on the home page and could see it was The Thinking Atheist. He said something like, "You don't believe in god?" I said, "You do?"

He said he couldn't understand how I didn't believe. I knew I would have but a minute with this guy and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I asked him if he actually read the entire bible. He said no, so I told him his entire belief system is based on a book that he hasn't even read, and if he did he would learn it is not only full of untruths and every atrocity known to humans, but that it was written by uneducated goat herders who thought the moon was its own light source and the earth was the center of the universe. I invited him to do critical thinking and then I had to leave.

So it got me to thinking: What is the best "gotcha" factoid or position you could spring on a believer if you only had time to say one thing to them? In other words, is there something you could say to them that would make them have to question their beliefs in that one instant?

I think you did great. Responding to the question with a question shifts who is on the defensive.

Asking if he had read the bible it’s in entirety would not have occured to me in that split second. I always think of great comebacks an hour later Weeping

“You don’t believe in god?"
“Aren’t you a little old to believe in leprechauns?”

Guy's been at the bar for a while.
Now it's his fifth trip to the bathroom. He feels like he's been swallowing surgical sponges.
He's standing at the urinal appreciating his headache when he sees a wee little man wearing green who appears to have snuck up from nowhere. They look at each other, blinking.

"Well hello, lad," the little man says with a lilt. "There's no denying you caught me." He takes out a notepad.
"Your name and age, please?"
"Todd Johnson. I'm Twenty-nine. Why do you ask?"
He makes a note and says, "Just a formality, lad, just a formality. Now then. Fair is fair. It's the way of the leprechaun. You've caught me and you get to have my pot of gold."
"What? Really?"
"Aye. All I'll be needing is to bugger you in the stall there."
“Bugger?"

He relights his clay pipe. "Aye. Please sign here and here and accompany me into this stall, please."
So a big belt buckle and a little belt buckle hit the tile. There are sounds like two men moving a recliner out of an apartment until finally the stall door opens. The wee man leaves first, looking satisfied, his pipe still lit.

The drunk guy has lost his buzz, shaky in brand new ways. The wee man is walking out the door.
"Hey, wait! What about your pot of gold?"
The little man drops the accent. "Look, Todd. You're twenty-nine years old. Aren't you a little old to believe in leprechauns?"

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
13-12-2014, 10:17 PM

What you said is good enough. You nailed it.

Thumbsup

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
13-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys. This thought experiment is something I think of often so it might be why I had that comeback at the ready. But the examples others have given are great. I will use them, too, if the occasion presents itself again.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Just thought of something very simple.

Ask "Who is the most evil being you can think of ?"
"Ok, now who intentionally created that being and does nothing to stop it ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-12-2014, 11:24 PM
You could ask why, if they worship Yahweh, the Father of Jebus, don't they worship his wife Ashera ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Let's assume there really is no god. What would you call a belief in god then? Faith. Now let's assume there really is a god. Why would faith be necessary?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post