You gotta love Buddhist cosmology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 10:54 PM
You gotta love Buddhist cosmology
Buddhist cosmology states that there are several realms of existence, each inhabited by a menagerie of gods and saints. One is called the Brahma Realm. The following is from the Wiki page on the subject.

Quote:Great Brahmas (Maha brahma) One of this realm's most famous inhabitants is the Great Brahma, a deity whose delusion leads him to regard himself as the all-powerful, all-seeing creator of the Universe. According to the Brahmajāla Sutta, a Mahā brahmā is a being from the Ābhāsvara worlds who falls into a lower world through exhaustion of his merits and is reborn alone in the Brahma-world; forgetting his former existence, he imagines himself to have come into existence without cause.

Does this ring any bells?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 10:59 PM
RE: You gotta love Buddhist cosmology
Why do so many athiests support Buddhism if it's has unproven very likely BS beliefs like other realms of existence and Gods? Is it just because it is one of the least violent and bigoted of religions?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
Find all posts by this user
29-01-2014, 11:03 PM
(29-01-2014 10:59 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why do so many athiests support Buddhism if it's has unproven very likely BS beliefs like other realms of existence and Gods? Is it just because it is one of the least violent and bigoted of religions?

I'm not supporting anything. I'm just passing on interesting parallels between two forms of religious mythology. It's no different for me than reading fiction. You don't have to believe it to think it's interesting.
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
29-01-2014, 11:04 PM
I think buddhism has different sects like Christianity and other religions, so not all would believe in these different God realms. Westerners that convert to buddhism tend to go for the more ceremonial superstitious versions though, because they are comfortable with that.
29-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Buddhism sucks balls. Especially the bullshit regarding suffering nirvana etc.
29-01-2014, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 11:11 PM by Vosur.)
I love the late Carl Sagan's explanation of the cosmological ideas found in Eastern religions. Thumbsup

The one I find most fascinating is the idea of a cyclic universe in Hinduism (a view that I personally find very elegant).

29-01-2014, 11:10 PM
(29-01-2014 11:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I love the late Carl Sagan's explanation of the cosmological ideas found in Eastern religions. Thumbsup

The one I find most fascinating is the idea of a cyclic universe in Hinduism (a view that I personally find very elegant).

Shoot! It's "not available in your country." I guess I'll have to look it up elsewhere.
29-01-2014, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 11:31 PM by Vosur.)
(29-01-2014 11:10 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Shoot! It's "not available in your country." I guess I'll have to look it up elsewhere.
Give me a moment, I'll re-upload it on my own channel.

Edit: Apparently, YouTube blocks it for your country that way as well. Here is the same video from Dailymotion:

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-01-2014, 11:25 PM
(29-01-2014 11:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 11:10 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Shoot! It's "not available in your country." I guess I'll have to look it up elsewhere.
Give me a moment, I'll re-upload it on my own channel.

Edit: Done.

Thanks for the effort, but it still says I can't watch it. I'm sure I can find it online somewhere.

Edit - Never mind. I see you changed it to a different player. I can watch it now. Thanks.
29-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Great video. Thanks.